Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nnkator

Change tile in master shower

nancy smith
last month
last modified: last month

We have crema marfil porcelain tile on the bathroom floor with a dark rust insert and trim, the insert includes black galaxy granite. We would like to use porcelain slabs in the shower to avoid grout lines. We are looking at maestro Bernini oro to pick up the rust color, or quartzo Kandinsky, but may be too gray, or taj mahal what would go best? Without looking too crazy or patch work. We have dark cabinets and black galaxy countertops.

Comments (15)

• Lyn Nielson
    last month

without pictures, I'll assume there is a framework on shower entry...

large format is great for less grout lines, I personally would not do too dark, feels like standing in a cave, and water stains show more on dark surfaces... But, do what appeals to YOU!

nancy smith thanked Lyn Nielson
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    last month

why do you have two posts going? please delete the other.

and we aren't magicians. going to need to see pictures

nancy smith thanked Beth H. :
  • nancy smith
    Original Author
    last month

I just sent pictures, sorry i couldnt figure out how to upload them initially. let me know if they come across. the second post was my attempt to add the pictures

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last month

you can post the pics here in comments. wait for them to fully load before you hit the submit button

• nancy smith
    Original Author
    last month

• nancy smith
    Original Author
    last month

We are trying to use slabs so we dont have grout lines. the closest slab may be porcelain taj mahal, which i havent a sample of yet, i have the maestro quartzo and bernini oro to try and pick up existing colors. the quartzo may lean to the gray too much. i havent seen a crema marfil slab. i am wortied the bernini oro may be too busy.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last month
    last modified: last month

that's a lot of money to dump into redoing the shower while leaving the rest of 1999 untouched. what are your long term plans for this spot?

what about the water closet? has the same shower tile.

have you priced out what it costs to redo the shower in porcelain slabs? you need an expert tile installer that knows how to do those slabs. they need FULL coverage on the back, not blobs of mortar. Have you interviewed anyone? this could be a disaster if you get some hack

• nancy smith
    Original Author
    last month

I do like the crema marfil slab you show as long as you dont think it will be boring. i am trying to find something between boring and busy.

• Mrs. S
    last month

I have become a huge fan of Maria Killam, especially for someone like me who will always have a small budget, and her sage advice (when in doubt) is always go for plain/boring on expensive, hard-to-change things like showers, floors, and cabinets.

What dates bathrooms/showers is often taste-specific "accent trim" or selections being busy, in some way.

Fashions are gonna change.

So my recommendation, unless you have a ton of money to cater to your own taste, is to put boring and more plain, wherever you have hard surfaces.

• nancy smith
    Original Author
    last month

We did the quartzo slabs in our Florida master, so i am aware of the cost. The tile company here in Maryland said they have an installer who is experienced in installing and handling the slabs. i think it is spot on re the 1999 bathroom, LOL LOL, we actually installed it in 2001. it is in great shape, do you think it looks tired to the point we have to rip it out? we have heated floors and is contiguous with my WC, my husband’s wc is separate. i was trying to avoid a major remodel. i want to redo the shower as the grout is cracking and it feels old in there. It is also a steam shower, but we only use the steam infrequently, 1 to 2x per year.

• chispa
    last month

Well, the whole bathroom feels old and just changing the shower won't change that, but will more likely make the rest of the bathroom feel even older.

Unless the shower tile is failing and leaking, I would just get a good tiler to come in to remove all the old grout and re-grout with one of the newer epoxy or urethane grouts. Make sure the installer knows how to work with these grouts as they are harder to install correctly.

nancy smith thanked chispa
  • nancy smith
    Original Author
    last month

Thanks to all for your input. i agree with everyone. i am considering the crema marfil slabs if they go with existing tile. if not, i will look into a total re do but keep the black galaxy granite and cabinets, brookside from woodmode, and go with the quarzo slabs for the shower, with a long hexagon complementary solid mosaic floor tile for shower and either 36 or 30 inch square quartzo for the floor or 12 x 24. now if yall can tell me if I should tile halfway up the walls as before or fully repair and just paint the walls after they rip all the old tile down. i am also re doing two of my upstairs bathrooms, converting tha combo bath shower to a walk in shower. i may save a little money by not doing curbless and I will not splurge on the expensive (over $4000) accent wall tile behind the vanity and mirror to justify splurging big time for the master.

• apple_pie_order
    last month

If you are doing the other two bathrooms first in a current style, you may find that the master bathroom looks less current in comparison. That may affect your shower remodelling decision.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last month

With a room that is so style-specific, I would not keep any remnants of the existing bathroom. You're just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

Gut it and create a refined timeless bathroom. Either contemporary or traditional, but classic.

nancy smith thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH