Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
viva_bailey30

Exterior light placement on gables ?

V. Bee
26 days ago

Is it normal to place an exterior light on the gable as seen in photo below vent?
Shake is being installed and will be painted white. This area is a covered feature outside of a master bedroom.
We have two of these covered gable areas on the back of our house addition. Don't know how I missed it before this stage.
It doesn't look right to me.
We have exterior lights on the ceiling of covering and outside walls.
Thoughts?

Comments (10)

• jck910
    26 days ago

I don't think I would want lights there. Are they supposed to motion detector lights to light the yard when people or animals come into your yard?

V. Bee thanked jck910
  • Boxerpal
    26 days ago

Have you thought about hidden LED lights?

Something like this

Traditional Exterior · More Info

or from the ground up

The Runnymeade - Plan #1164 · More Info

or this lights fixtures next to the entrance

Friend Residence Churchill Place · More Info

or this midmod look

Hornstein Residence · More Info

V. Bee thanked Boxerpal
  • T T
    26 days ago

Perfect spot for motion detector spot lights. Get some in white so it blendsx in with your siding. I bet you won't think about it much after this project is done. I would not put a traditional wall lantern that high up. This all assumes you don't really need a lit up backyard when you're outside. I wouldn't want to have the motion light on all the time at night, for instance (I would only want it to come on if it detected motion).

V. Bee thanked T T
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    26 days ago

You could use a lantern on the face of the gable.

V. Bee thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • ptreckel
    26 days ago

Have you chosen wall mounted lights that you will use elsewhere on your home? Do you plan on having any wall mounted lights? If not, then I would not place one there. PS: motion detector lights can be a real pain for you AND your neighbors if you are likely to have deer or other critters in your yard.

V. Bee thanked ptreckel
  • V. Bee
    Original Author
    22 days ago

Thanks all! Appreciate ideas/input.

We do have a plan along the walls of the back for six wall lights (two outside each back facing room ), also there are can lights in the covered ceiling portions.

Decided to have these gable lights removed while we still can. Contractor was thinking motion sensor lights.

IF we couldn't remove, I'd go the motion detector light route like Paul F. posted (thanks for the quick render!). Everything will be painted white, with over-grout stone accents.

• wdccruise
    17 days ago
    last modified: 17 days ago

Outdoor lighting should follow the Dark Sky Principles for outdoor lighting. Nearly all the lighting shown in the photos posted by @Boxerpal is inappropriate as they illuminate areas where lighting is not needed, light is directed upward, and lights are overly bright.

I would suggest that you would want downward facing lights illuminating the porch in front of the entry door and the covered patio to the right. Paths or sidewalks to the house could be illuminated using path lights. A fixture attached to the gable -- since removed -- would have been inappropriate as it appears that it would have illuminated the yard.

This also seems inappropriate if the purpose is to illuminate exterior walls for which there is no need:

• "We do have a plan along the walls of the back for six wall lights (two outside each back facing room )"

• Boxerpal
    16 days ago

Yes wdcruise you are correct.. Light pollution is a very important point, especially as our planet becomes more crowded. I happen to turn all my lights off and only use them when needed. I live on the coast and we have sea turtles that can be harmed. But honestly all animals are effected by light pollution. Thank you for bringing that up.

• PRO
    W86 Trading Co., LLC
    16 days ago

Perhaps traditional style lighting fixtures may be more suitable for the style of your house, but of course it still depends on your personal preferences. You can choose solar-powered or motion sensing lights to reduce energy consumption and be more environmentally friendly.

Professional home lighting offers you more choices.