Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kswl3

Are Mom Jeans Supposed to Fit Like Jodhpurs?

Kswl
27 days ago
last modified: 27 days ago

If so, I guess these are perfect? I ordered these from H&M after seeing two glowing YT reviews of this exact pant. I had only been in an H&M store once, just a month ago. Five minutes there convinced me that there was nothing I would like or want. But, never say never… there was no escaping the high waisted ”mom jean” phenomenon and these were touted as well made, well fitting and very well priced. While I was on the H&M website I poked around and found a few other things I wanted to try. 😎They all arrived just after lunch and my pups had another fine session in the closet watching me try stuff on. They were not at all surprised that EVERYTHING FIT, everything looked good and ….maybe… nothing is going back. Except the jeans. I honestly do not know if they look good or bad or indifferent. They fit well in the waist and are more generous in the hips than I am accustomed to. The length is perfect. I wanted the lighter color because I have nothing like it and thought it would be nice for summer. (You may remember that I just got my first pair of jeans in 30+ years about a year and a half ago, so I am a complete novice in Jeanland. )

You can see the empty fabric below that is presumably supposed to be filled with person:

and here they are with a pink linen and rayon H&M blazer, which found me while I was looking for the jeans!

I am leaning over to show the extent of the jodhpur-like side of the jeans. The blazer is fully lined and well tailored but single breasted and lighter; I think it will be useful all summer. LOVE the color and it just happens to coordinate beautifully with my pink shoes.

There is **another** jacket I am keeping but Houzz clearly does not like posts that are too long so I will save it for another time.

Comments (42)

• blfenton
    27 days ago

I would say no but I'm the last person who should be acting as the fashion police.

• nini804
    27 days ago

Cute jacket! I think you could find some jeans that fit you better…I know they are a good buy, but I think a great pair of well-fitting jeans are worth an investment. Have you tried Frame denim? They have a lot of different fits and styles…I think you could find some that flatter your cute self better!

Kswl thanked nini804
  • deegw
    27 days ago

A 19 year old could wear those with white platform sneaks and they would look fine.

On we ladies of a certain age, some versions of Mom jeans look like we've been wearing the same jeans for 20 years and suddenly being in style is a happy accident.

I would look for a high-rise straight jean. Yours look tapered.

Love the rest of your outfit!

Kswl thanked deegw
  • Funkyart
    27 days ago

Naw ... since I've lost weight, I have to be careful what jeans I buy because some will do the same (as will my older jeans).. even straight leg jeans. It is all about the proportions. The butt, hip, thigh proportion to the waist doesnt work for your shape.

Kswl thanked Funkyart
  • morz8 - Washington Coast
    27 days ago

You look cute as always but I think you could find a better fit. A shame as the length is so perfect in your photo.

Have you tried NYDJ? (Not Your Daughters Jeans). I'm slim (almost too thin) 5'2" and their Marilyn ankle jean fits me like a regular length pant to the shoe top. All my other dressier jeans (black) are Eileen Fisher. I have only those two brands the last many years.

The NYDJ are for the most part a heavier weight than the Fisher. They are my errands, yard and housework, casual pants. The first time I tried on a pair NYDJ the Nordstrom clerk was insisting I try the ankle length, annoying me as I was shopping for longer than cropped or above or just at ankle. She was quite smug when they proved to fit so perfectly 😊

The Eileen Fisher tend to run generous and I size down one size, can also wear the petite length in some of the styles. I slipped into a Nordstrom and with help, tried on. I did buy from the helpful salesgirl. But then to add more, I had the sizing down and could shop discounted pairs from the leisure of my desk.

Kswl thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • barncatz
    27 days ago

KSWL, I bought a pair of Madewell jeans in Feb and had the same issue. I had wanted wider jeans for a trip. I ended up starting a thread about the whole "big jeans" thing. Out of curiosity, I did find some photos of 20 somethings wearing similar wide-thighed/baggy jeans but most bigger jeans weren't, even on the young and trendy. I didn't keep mine. I took a wider straight leg pair more similar to what dee posted and DD approved those.

Kswl thanked barncatz
  • DLM2000-GW
    27 days ago

I've loved your fashion choices and the shows and as a true friend I will veto those jeans for you. Honestly they look like they were made wrong to me but at the very least they require more of a tush than you have ;-) The rest of the items are great, just need a different pair of jeans - you are cute as a button!

Kswl thanked DLM2000-GW
  • Sueb20
    27 days ago

LOL they’d probably fit my saddlebags really well! I should try them.

Kswl thanked Sueb20
  • HU-163897337
    27 days ago

Those legs look too big all the wsy down to your knees. i either lije a wide leg or skinny. However, i rarely wear jeans in hot weather. Are mom jeans a thing??? I,m not seeing them.

Kswl thanked HU-163897337
  • 1929Spanish-GW
    27 days ago

Like Sue, my big @$...I mean hips.....would fill those out just fine.

It's all about proportions. If they are baggy at the hips, they should also be wide at the bottom. Those are too narrow at the bottom to carry off the baggy jeans look.

....I WISH I had that problem! :)

Kswl thanked 1929Spanish-GW
  • arkansas girl
    27 days ago

I was a teen in the 70s so i loved that style but those are not right. They aren't supposed to poke out at the hips like that. PASS

Kswl thanked arkansas girl
  • Funkyart
    27 days ago

"made wrong" isn't fair ... not for those of us with a pear shape LOL (unless you think we're made wrong too! LOL). Definitely not the shape for kswl -- but they will be the right shape for someone!

Kswl thanked Funkyart
  • nicole___
    27 days ago

Love your total look....those jeans...please return them. It's weird the way they poof out. You've got a super cute figure...just need a slender cut jean.

Kswl thanked nicole___
  • DLM2000-GW
    27 days ago

Funky of course people aren't 'made wrong' but I'll defend what I said about the jeans! They are beyond pear shape - there is a sharp angle to the cut - look again at the fist pic and Kswl's right hip - see the triangulation in the fabric? That's not right. A curve, ok but pants should not be cut like that. Now maybe it's just that specific pair on Kswl's narrow hips (I hate her for that!) but in that pic they look like they are cut wrong to me. If there's a style trend that I'm unaware of, I will own that. No one is calling me for fashion advice!

Kswl thanked DLM2000-GW
  • rubyclaire
    27 days ago

I think you can do better.

I just tried a pair of "on trend" wide leg jeans and decided this was a trend I needed to sit out. I have one pair of wide leg pants in linen - the Colette at Anthro - and I like those but wide denim is a whole other story for me.

Kswl thanked rubyclaire
  • Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    27 days ago

I would look for high-rise straight also. My best jeans have come from j.Crew and Gap.

Kswl thanked Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
  • Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    27 days ago

I also like American eagle. Watch out for anything listed as barrel, it's the current look.

• jojoco
    27 days ago

I edited the right side to illustrate that these pants seem to be swimming on you. Great length but too big on you

Kswl thanked jojoco
  • Kswl
    Original Author
    27 days ago

I’m convinced— they are packed up and ready to go back tomorrow after my morning art class! I did wonder if they were cut wrong as they are designed to be high waisted and tapered, but they need to start tapering a LOT higher to fit me. They looked great on other people (insert gnashing of teeth emoji).

I’ve got a couple of slim leg jeans (mid rise) that I like and are comfortable and I do not actually NEED another pair. I may look for the same style in a lighter wash. Will also check out the brands mentioned here.

Thank you, friends!

• OutsidePlaying
    27 days ago

Cute jacket, but no to the jeans. That’s the most weird shape of jeans I’ve seen. Take a look at Ann Taylor or Loft jeans. My DD and DGD are short and can find petite sizes in their curvy styles that fit them well. I have worn their tall size in curvy and find them comfortable. Plus they don’t weight 100 lbs as some jeans do.

My DD also sings the praises of J Crew jeans and finds it really easy to order the correct size from their website based on measurements.

Kswl thanked OutsidePlaying
  • pricklypearcactus
    27 days ago

I'm so glad you packed them up to send them back. I think you can find a better fit. They look too big in the hip/thigh area for you in my opinion. (And that literally never happens to me so I'm jealous.) I agree they look like jodpurs and should not.

I do, however, think the color looks great on you! I like the ones that @deegw posted for you.

I think mom jeans are intended to be high waisted, moderately loose in the thighs such that they aren't vacuumed to the thighs like we've had for the last few years, and then somewhat straight/loose/slightly tapered to the ankle. You may not carry as much weight in the thighs and caboose as these jeans were intended.

Kswl thanked pricklypearcactus
  • Oakley
    27 days ago

Such a coincidence, I'm looking for a slimmer jean to wear but it has to hide a bulge I have from an old hernia. You're in AL, right? Are you familiar with Style with Serena? She's in AL also and I discovered Serena yesterday and finally, I found a stylist I can relate to.

I won't post the video but here's a link for you, and it's under "Fit", go to minute 6:07.

You don't have a tummy but nix the top belt, as Serena would say, that's where my eyes go. The picture of the lighter and thinner belt, along with the jacket makes the whole outfit flow.

Style with Serena She definitely has that southern charm.

I found a recent jeans topic she did about how to wear the right jeans. That's where I'll be for now. It's way long so I'll do a lot of skipping Stop wearing the wrong jeans

Kswl thanked Oakley
  • Bunny
    27 days ago

No to those jeans. Sorry. I live in jeans and a great fit is hard to find. When you find them, buy mutiples.

Kswl thanked Bunny
  • barncatz
    27 days ago

I'm really not buying clothes but I happened to online wander through women's slacks at Brooks Brothers and saw these!

Kswl thanked barncatz
  • Olychick
    27 days ago

Glad they're going back. I can't imagine how much worse they would look once you'd sat in them and they stretched out a bit. They do look like they were cut/sewn wrong because of the sharp angle, not curved area.

Kswl thanked Olychick
  • Kswl
    Original Author
    27 days ago

Yes, those are beautiful, Barn!

• Bunny
    27 days ago

Every style of Old Navy jeans has all this extra material in the groin area. It's bizarre and can't be ignored. I don't understand what all that space is for.

Kswl thanked Bunny
  • arkansas girl
    27 days ago

This is what "mom jeans" looked like that I used to wear:

Mom Jeans

Kswl thanked arkansas girl
  • Kswl
    Original Author
    27 days ago

Arkansas, that is pretty much what these jeans look like, high waist, wider hips and tapered legs. But maybe the H&M ones have a more exaggerated silhouette?

• Kswl
    Original Author
    27 days ago

That sounds odd, Bunny! I wouldn’t want to speculate but the description does pique interest 🤔 There’s no Old Navy anywhere near here. I haven’t been in one in more than 20 years, they’re probably very different from how I remember them.

• barncatz
    27 days ago

Oh, sorry, I wasn't at all clear. The cut of the Brooks Brothers pants reminded me a bit of your jeans. I can't tell if they are cut more widely in the thigh groin area or if I'm perceiving a mismatch, as someone noted above of the wide to narrow proportions.

Kswl thanked barncatz
  • summersrhythm_z6a
    27 days ago

Love your whole outfit! But those jeans are too big on you. I have about 50 pairs of jeans, a lot of them are Loft jeans

Get a few flower jeans for the spring!

Kswl thanked summersrhythm_z6a
  • lizbeth-gardener
    27 days ago

Love the jacket, but glad the jeans are going back. I can't imagine anyone being shaped like those jeans, They do look like jodpurs!

Kswl thanked lizbeth-gardener
  • ratherbesewing
    26 days ago

I agree, these jeans are WAY too big. I would suggest a smaller size, but I think the cut is made for a larger thighed human. Maybe it is just me, but the pink blazer looks big also. Is this a regular or petite size? When the blazer/top is longer than the crotch area, the legs look shorter. You have a nice shape—show it off!

Kswl thanked ratherbesewing
  • Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    26 days ago

I really dislike anything tapered and I would run from those. However, the pants you are wearing that you show in the picture they're also way too big.

• Kswl
    Original Author
    26 days ago

Barn 😎 I have seen those pleated pants IRL and they hang just right because of the double pleats on both sides of the zipper. They aren’t as lantern shaped as the pose would suggest with the model’s hand in one pocket. I didn’t get the pleated pants from BB although I would like a pair of white ones, because the fabric is 100% man made, no cotton or wool or linen, and that usually means they jist never hang right after the first washing or dry cleaning. I love these 100% cotton straight leg pants from Toteme:

I’d buy them at 50% off, but at $440 they are way more than I’d pay at full price. I’ve been looking for a dupe for these but nothing , not even RL is as well made.

• Kswl
    Original Author
    26 days ago

Ratherbesewing, the blazer is a regular size and fits perfectly— it's longer than the cropped styles I usually wear. I have a long torso and try to camouflage that with at least slightly cropped styles. The length is part of the whole ”oversized blazer” thing that is now in its second season. I think it will look better with shorter length white pants and even dressy white linen shorts, which I have already. I do LOVE the color.

• rubyclaire
    26 days ago

Kswl - love those Toteme pants! I've had really good luck with Theory pants and love these linen blend for summer but also have them in a crepe. (Trecca - pull on with pockets)

Kswl thanked rubyclaire
  • texanjana
    26 days ago

Glad those jeans are going back. I can’t imagine that they would be flattering on anyone. I bought some new jeans last year-Good American and Democracy. I really like both of these brands. Democracy ones are a bargain IMO.

Kswl thanked texanjana
  • barncatz
    26 days ago

Those Toteme pants are gorgeous. For some reason, I just thought the groin to knee area in the BB pants looked excessively fabric swathed, lol.

Kswl thanked barncatz
  • Tina Marie
    26 days ago
    last modified: 26 days ago

The proportions are definitely wrong, but what I've seen from H & M hasn't been the best quality. Bumble, I had to look up barrel jeans. Not seeing anything like that around here yet. Have to say I hope we don't, but I won't be wearing them, nor do I plan to wear pleated pants again LOL. I do think the blazers are too long; how tall are you KSWL?

Kswl thanked Tina Marie