Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
colyons

New Office Exterior Ideas

colyons
26 days ago

I just bought a building and am looking for exterior ideas. It will be my office. I am gutting the interior, but don’t know what to do with the exterior. It’s a blonde brick building. I am putting on a new roof. Initially, I was thinking about a black metal roof and painting the building white. My builder said we are going to keep the chimney, so I don’t think a metal roof makes sense at this point. The building obviously needs some TLC. I am looking for exterior ideas, do I paint the brick? Do I just clean up the brick? Currently, I think the brick is ugly, but maybe it’s because the place currently looks terrible. Maybe if I spruce up other parts, the brick will look better? What color roof? Do I keep that 60’s/70’s decorative wall? My builder is going to grade the back of the property, put up a privacy wall with outdoor seating, a grill, etc. His idea is have the comforts of home at my office so I’ll enjoy being there. I am a financial advisor and will have clients coming to my office. I will redo the landscaping. Any thoughts with landscaping. Thank you for any suggestions in advance!

Comments (14)

• kazzh
    26 days ago

Am thinking the decorative brick wall is not very welcoming to clients. Maybe a simple post construction to support the roof would be better. A tidy up of the brickwork might surprise you in how well it brings up the property. Some planters that are well maintained or if you can get to the soil, maybe some low box hedges to define the front of the parking bays will give some greenery and serve a function (if you're not adverse to the upkeep). It’s amazing how a well kept garden helps present a good face for a business, so tidying there will do wonders.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    26 days ago

I agree the decorative brick is not nice but the rest is great. Waht kind of business IMO that will drive the design of both the interior and exterior.

• apple_pie_order
    26 days ago

What kind of image do you want to project as a financial advisor? Are your clients wealthy or middle class? Professional landscaping and cleaning up the parking area would give a good first impression. A decorator or designer would be useful in turning a dentist's office into a professional financial advisor's office.

• millworkman
    26 days ago

I agree with Hallett. Dark Bronze including the windows. Leave the brick and breeze block as is, just maybe acid wash and clean them up

• colyons
    Original Author
    26 days ago

I love the idea of keeping the brick as is! If I do a dark trim, what color do you suggest for the roof? Thank you so much!!

• K Laurence
    26 days ago

I agree with Hallet & Co….. i live in a 60’s MCM home & have Urbane Bronze on my trim, it looks great. i also love the breeze block, variations of it very common in my MCM neighborhood.

• K Laurence
    26 days ago

@ Colyons. …. I would select a roof color similar to Urbane Bronze

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    26 days ago

Missed that part about the business. IMO dark bronze for a nice elegant understated look is the right choice the breeze block can stay but a much nicer walkway to the actaul entry .

• Susie May
    26 days ago

I think a large dramatic plant/ planter on the solid brick space on the far right and your sign on the solid brick on the left. I like the breezeblock and would keep it!

• JT7abcz
    26 days ago

You’re going to add a privacy wall which will be parallel with the existing breeze block. That’s a lot of density. You could use a more modern breeze block in a contrasting color for the new wall, and replace the current breeze block as well but use less. That will allow more light at the entry and widen the entrance.

You’ll need a gate to access the BBQ area.

Along with refreshing the landscape, add lights on the exterior and the interior entrance area, placing some to backlight the breeze block. New signage out front and stylized street number can update it too.

• kandrewspa
    26 days ago

I am not in favor of painting the brick, but painting the breeze block or replacing it with something updated sounds like a good idea. You could paint it Urbane Bronze to match the rest of the trim (if you decide to use UB on the trim). You could paint the front door something interesting to draw attention to it. Colorful front doors are a hallmark of MCM. However, UB or natural wood would be a classy look if that appeals to you more.

If the front door is behind the breeze block I would consider replacing the breeze block with posts to make the door more visible. Look at something similar to "weathered wood" for the roof color. More than one manufacturer has that color for their roofing products.

• Sigrid
    26 days ago

What looks the sorriest to me is the asphalt. I'd find some pavers or brick to replace the front walkway section. I'd think about how much parking you really need and replace some of it with some greenery, if you don't need it all. If not, find some places to put planters.

I'd powerwash the brick. If you need to replace the roof, I'd go with a brown (not that reddish color) but not if you don't need to. I would not paint the brick.

• HU-878373968
    24 days ago

Some pavers would work very well! Update that, it would make a big difference