Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
funkyartoo

A great summery tote UPDATED: w/ unexpected purchase

Funkyart
27 days ago
last modified: 26 days ago

I have a trip coming up with a "bookstore crawl" ... I am looking for a lightweight tote that is attractive and has some structure to it. I'd love crossbody but at the least it needs to fit over the shoulder (vs holding by a short handle). Budget: < $159. I am fairly firm on that ... there are great totes from all the usual suspects that are in the $200-$500+ range but I don't want to go that high.

I love straw, rattan, jute etc but it must be lightweight ... yet strong enough to carry books. Open to attractive canvas too if lightweight!

I'll share some of my options in the next post-- and please share any totes you have/love that will fit my needs!

Comments (46)

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    27 days ago

These are from highest price to lowest .. all in budget.

I like that this has a flat and solid bottom .. but reviews of another similar bag say the seagrass doesnt hold up.

the color is golden moss ... a good neutral. Not sure about the embellishments but i tend to like a bit of bling.

I love that this is crossbody but one reviewer said it was too short for her at 5'4" (I am 5'6" and not thin) ... this will likely be a pass but i like the style of it.

too beachy for the city?

Has the least style but is functional and well below my budget limit

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    27 days ago

I am adament about sticking to budget-- but this has been on my wishlist for a lonnng time. I could perhaps ask for it as a birthday gift (or gift myself)!

But then this is in the price range of the Tory Burch Ella bags and so many other nice options.

• Kswl
    27 days ago

I like the slouchy second bag best; the first looks too heavy, the third doesn’t look big enough to be useful and the last one doesn’t seem to have the right shape.

My go to tote is always Longchamps. I keep my large navy one in the car just in case. They fold up to a small square and can be tucked in to your suitcase, then used as a carryall for shopping or even as a big purse on the way back from your trip. They’ve gotten significantly more expensive since I bought mine in several colors in the 2000’s, but you can always find them on Poshmark or Ebay. I nearly bought a toffee colored one for our cruise last summer (perfect condition) but ended up taking the navy one instead. I would buy one secondhand Longchamps bag in a red hot minute as they last forever.

Funkyart thanked Kswl
  • Sueb20
    26 days ago
    Funkyart thanked Sueb20
  • Bookwoman
    26 days ago

Never mind the tote...which bookstores are you going to??

Funkyart thanked Bookwoman
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    26 days ago

So many here rave anout longchamps -- and when I saw your link, Sue, I thought for sure it would be over budget! That is definitely an option ... and yes, being able to fold/pack it is a huge bonus.

Kswl, the first one is supposedly *very* lightweight. Does that change your vote?

Partymusic-- that is so very sweet of you! I love your baskets but for this trip I need something that can go flat ... or at least flat-ish.. when not in use. However, I would love to talk to you about commissioning one for my home office later this summer (once I nail down my color scheme)!

Bookwoman-- I am not sure! There are bookstore crawls 2 different days as well as a visit to NYPL, the Morgan and the Met. I am staying an extra day and very likely going to MOMA too. We are staying at the Library Hotel (referencing a prior thread). I am looking forward to it!

• Bookwoman
    26 days ago

Sounds like a wonderful trip - enjoy! (And please give us a full report when you get back.)

• maddielee
    26 days ago

My favorite straw tote is one that meets your needs. If carrying a six-pack and a bottle (2?) of wine weighs the same as the books you may carry.

It’s over 15 years old, still looks new, and was purchased from Syms way back then. It may be the best investment in any apparel item I have ever made. I don’t see it offered anymore on the Furla website.

Our go-to boat bags that hold up well are Landsend totes. Monograming is inexpensive, pick the color and length of the straps, choose open or zip top. And they are on sale!

Funkyart thanked maddielee
  • salonva
    26 days ago

I was going to say I got one for DD (with the 4 kids) to tote like 30 library books at time. It is similar to the one maddie posted. I think it might have been a tad wider. It might have been ll bean? super strong

• texanjana
    26 days ago

Of your choices, I like the second one. I do agree that Longchamp bags are great for travel too.

Partymusic, that basket is gorgeous.

Funky, your trip sounds great. I love the Morgan Library. One of my nieces interned there one summer. Their restaurant is fabulous, too. Have a great trip.

• Olychick
    26 days ago

Would the blue/gray cross body work as an over shoulder if too short for crossbody?

• party_music50
    26 days ago

Thank you, texanjana!

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    26 days ago

Those boat bags are indestructable but not what I want to carry while walking miles in the city. What makes them strong is also what makes them heavy.

I also like the second one-- but knowing that I can be OTT, I wonder if the embellishments are too much.

I think that the lack of structure on the blue bag would make it hard to carry books in it over the shoulder-- but i could be wrong.

Texanjana .. how long ago did your niece intern there? My cousin was one of the curators at the Morgan (for documents & letters, if I remember correctly) .. but she left the position sometime in the mid 2000s. This will be my first time there (i've been to all the other museums/libraries) so I am really looking forward to it!

Thanks all.. sorry for slow responses. My day has gone sideways.

• jsk
    26 days ago

I like the 3rd one the best. Was it only one review that said it was too short? If so, I don't know that I would trust that one review. The strap is adjustable. Seems odd to me that it wouldn't work cross body on the longer setting. Does the website not specify the length of the strap?

Funkyart thanked jsk
  • Kswl
    26 days ago

Funky I did not realize the extent to which the Longchamps bag in SueB’s link had been discounted— it’s a very good buy. I believe that is the medium size though and it may not carry as much as you want it to. I have both mediums and larges and find myself using the large one almost exclusively.

Funkyart thanked Kswl
  • Jennifer Hogan
    26 days ago

I have had great luck with baggallini brand totes - may not be as stylish as you want, but very lightweight and strong.

Funkyart thanked Jennifer Hogan
  • Sueb20
    26 days ago

Kswl, it is 16 x 10 x 6…

Funkyart thanked Sueb20
  • texanjana
    26 days ago

Funky, she was in college and is about 30 now, so probably 10 or so years ago. Her last name is Judd. It would be wild if your cousin knew her!

Funkyart thanked texanjana
  • ladypat1
    26 days ago

I like the first bag pictured. Can be dressed up or down, and not look slouchy with books in it.

Funkyart thanked ladypat1
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    26 days ago

Thanks for all the recommendations-- will check them out later tonight (or this weekend-- a local store carries baggallini).

Sue/Kswl .. The size would be fine .. but my bad eyes thought it was a pink woven design when I saw it up close it is pink and red -- almost always a deal breaker for me.

I really want something straw or woven as I would use it often in the summer. I do have backpacks I could use also but wanted something "cuter". I also like the first one a lot-- but it isn't foldable/packable. It is still in the running with the second one.

Jsk, I can't say that it is often but I definitely run into crossbody bags that arent long enough to wear comfortably. You want a tote to hang long and on the side... preferably on the hip. I wear smaller bags higher.

Texanjana ... they may have crossed paths! My cousin's name is Christine.

• Sueb20
    26 days ago

The Longchamp bag is sold out, anyway. Darn.

• rubyclaire
    26 days ago

I have several canvas totes that were gifts with purchase - New Yorker, Sezanne, Architectural Digest and I think they would be my choice due to their packability and weight. Love my Longchamp bags for same reason.

Maybe consider buying a cool canvas tote at one of the bookstores?

I also love a good straw tote. Have a beautiful Loewe basket tote that would be perfect in the south of France but I feel a little ridiculous carrying it to my local Publix 😂. But I love it so if you find one that packs well - go for it!

Funkyart thanked rubyclaire
  • Mimou-GW
    26 days ago

I think it was Sueb who posted a lunch tote from this company in a holiday gift thread so she may be able to speak to quality. They have some cute bigger totes. Maika Goods

• rubyclaire
    26 days ago

What about the Vanessa Bruno canvas tote? A little bling…

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    26 days ago

OK.. Rubyclaire for the win! I am going to do just that-- get a canvas tote from one of the bookstores.

because ... I blew the budget on something else lol.

I just tried and fell in love with my niece's crossbody sling/belt bag. I NEVER thought I would like this style but I am a convert! I can set it to fall just right. It feels great and looks good .... and I can carry all that i need in it.

This is the black but i ordered the magnet.

• Irish2
    26 days ago

@Funkyart I love the MZW you chose

and the color magnet 😍

Funkyart thanked Irish2
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    26 days ago

I really didnt think I'd like the style ... not on this old, fat body! It really did look great -- i siwtched purses with my niece and was acting a fool looking in various mirrors throughout the store (in Dick's Sporting Goods .. not a womens clothing store where you would expect that lol).

My sister hates the style-- it just doesnt work for her at all but she is much shorter than niece and I and has a larger chest. I am thinking our long torsos play to our advantage here.

I wasn't sure about the color (I have so many styles in Magnet at this point) but I didnt want to go light and didnt want navy, black or the new "brown" (a much less pleasing color than the magnet).

• jsk
    25 days ago

I have a very similar belt bag that I use for travel and whenever I need to be handsfree. Not everyone loves the look, but I think it looks great. And the convenience cannot be beat.

Funkyart thanked jsk
  • Oakley
    25 days ago

Funky! I looked up the hotel you'll be staying at, and I'm so jealous, but they give their guests a free tote bag! Don't buy one until you get there.

Funkyart thanked Oakley
  • Kswl
    25 days ago
    last modified: 25 days ago

Excited about your new bag, Funky! A new purse vs an expensive tote… well you know I’d choose exactly the same! Tote, schmote 😁

Funkyart thanked Kswl
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    25 days ago

I didnt *really* need a new bag -- in fact, I am on a bag-buying ban (except I know I am getting one for my birthday from sister). The cocktails last night made it easy to click "buy now" and in fairness, I don't have *anything* like it! My stylist/niece was delighted ;)

Oakley, I didnt know that I'd get a tote on check in-- thanks for the info. I am also receiving a welcome basket from the person organizing the trip. It should all be fun... a lot of the trip is unstructured which I appreciate!

• Sueb20
    25 days ago

Funky, where did you find the blue crocheted(?) bag?

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    25 days ago
  • Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    25 days ago

Late night boredom It's not my shopping friend and I recently ordered a perfume from all places, Ukraine. I do know better. Hopefully it will be legit! I need to just swear off late night buying. No alcohol is involved but just general lethargy lol

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    24 days ago

Late to this as usual, and wondering if the cost of having purchases delivered to your hotel ( or home) rather than carrying them with you would be more or less than $159 ?

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    24 days ago

Carol.. I don't know that I would ask to have books delivered to my hotel. Something bigger or more precious, sure.

But as updated above-- I am no longer looking for a tote. I purchased a large sling which will be more useful to me. I can use an inexpensive canvas tote (I have one already from The New Yorker and I am told I get one from The Library Hotel when I check in) or... i can just carry the bags offered by the stores like I do on every other shopping trip!

This is the one I got .. the color is magnet (vs their new brown which I think is icky). It isnt a great spring color but it will work well with all my neutrals. This is for museum/bookstore crawl days ... I'll also take something smaller for evenings.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    24 days ago
    last modified: 24 days ago

Very nice!

What does the 'new brown' look like? I didn't see it @ their site.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    24 days ago

sorry-- it's called "walnut" ... it looks a little too much like 💩 for me. I like the gray brown magnet color.

• Irish2
    24 days ago

• nini804
    24 days ago

That is a really pretty bag @funkyart!

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    24 days ago
    last modified: 24 days ago

Hmm, I actually kind of like that - is it metallic? It looks like bronze on my screen.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    24 days ago

it is not metallic but the fabric is nylon so i guess a little shine.

It's not a color for me ... but then I love the magnet.

• Sueb20
    23 days ago
    last modified: 23 days ago

At least you’re being proactive! When we went to NOLA for Mardi Gras, we left with a ridiculous assortment of beads and other prizes we caught at parades. Then we drove to Austin, and the day before we were to fly home, we realized we couldn’t fit everything in our suitcase or carryon. We had to go shopping for some kind of tote bag, and of course we ended up buying a goofy cheap bag that was fine but not something I’d travel with again. BTW, DH got pulled aside at TSA screening and had to stand there while the agent rifled through his tote bag full of Mardi Gras stuff … very entertaining for me as I watched from a distance (“I’m not with that guy.”)

This thread has made me realize I should pack an extra tote bag for our Europe trip next month.

ETA just ordered this! Bargain!

Funkyart thanked Sueb20
  • barncatz
    22 days ago
    last modified: 22 days ago

We are spending a few days on Florida's Atlantic coast in early May. Anyway, we traveled to upstate NY in Feb and reading this, I remembered my tote was an absolute airport pain. I was juggling a smaller purse and a smaller dog at times and it kept slipping down my arm, tilting when put down and spilling, even with a snap at the top. I looked at Maika, which I hadn't known about and purchased a commuter tote, not this pattern but this shape. It's coming this week and I figure it will always work for library book hauling. Thanks for the recommendation!

Funkyart thanked barncatz
  • Sueb20
    22 days ago

I did get a Maika lunch tote for DD for Christmas. I thought it was very cute! As far as I know, she is using it every day and likes it.

Another fun bag resource -- made from recycled billboards. I have bought a few of these as gifts, and have a tote that I used at our beach cottage. So fun to look at the different patterns and colors.

Tessa Tote – RAREFORM

Funkyart thanked Sueb20
Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz