Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tharp

Need ideas for Landscape under windows!

tharp
last month

Our son and daughter-in-law just bought this house. To the left are three small windows about 7’ from the ground. Please help us with landscaping ideas!

Comments (18)

• M. Vogel
    last month

Some planting are definitely needed! Im not a designer but have you tried a garden center? :)

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    29 days ago
    last modified: 29 days ago

Are they planning to enlarge the windows? That would be my first priority.

As to general rules for foundation plantings, don't plant under the overhang--yours is quite deep. Establish beds--you have none, just plants stuck in the grass--quite deep front to back and place plants beyond the overhang. If those tiny, high windows are going to remain, I'd plan for mostly large shrubs in deep beds. For example, a shrub that is going to get 6 feet wide should be placed 3 feet out from where the overhang stops. You'll also want to be sure not to overwhelm the house.

• tharp
    Original Author
    29 days ago

Thank you so much for your input. Unfortunately, larger windows are not in their budget. I’ve also thought about not overwhelming the house, so the type of shrub/evergreen is important. They will definitely establish beds on both sides. Should there be three evergreens? One under each window? Any particular evergreen come to mind?

• dan1888
    29 days ago
    last modified: 29 days ago

4 column arborvitae between the windows. In my MI location, Costco is just now bringing in to store for pickup their yearly offerings of good height examples. $35/ea. $5 less than last year. Thuja Emerald Green Arborvitae, 2-pack | Costco You can keep them trimmed.

• cecily 7A
    29 days ago

For meaningful plant suggestions you need to tell us an approximate location (nearest big city & state).

Personally I dislike the row of pointy shrubs. I'd choose rounded shapes.

• Claudianne Young
    29 days ago

Perhaps ornamental grasses ?

• Sigrid
    29 days ago

Emerald Green Arborvitaes have a mature size of 15 feet high by 4 feet wide. They are not foundation plantings.

It's hard to advise without knowing your zone, sun and shade. I like broadleaved evergreens, Rhodos, Azaleas and others. I'd probably put a pretty tree at the left corner. I like dogwoods and fringe trees. Be sure to check the mature size and plant it far enough from the house to accommodate that. Ninebarks are pretty, too .

Chionanthus Virginicus · More Info

• tharp
    Original Author
    29 days ago

I love getting these suggestions everyone. The house is in KY, I believe zone 7b. The front of the house gets full sun

• Paul F.
    29 days ago

Maybe a raised planter on the left to fill the wall better?

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    28 days ago

Good Grief! No raised planter.

• tharp
    Original Author
    28 days ago

Paul, thanks for the raised planter idea.

Lacey, what were you thinking might work?

• cecily 7A
    28 days ago

The raised planter would be in sun with dry soil under the eaves so you would need to water it frequently... which puts moisture against the wall. That's a no no.

You/they need evergreen foundation shrubs with an arc of flowers in front of the shrubs and a small tree or three (dogwood or redbud) on the lawn near the corner of the house.

Shrub choice depends on what grows well in KY, local availability and homeowner preference. Holly, boxwood, azalea and yew are great because they take very well to pruning. If they grow too large over time you can whack 'em back so they would never need to be replaced.

Just try not to plant 'soldiers in a row' because you have a very rectangular house there.

• tharp
    Original Author
    28 days ago

Thank you so much, Cecily

• Paul F.
    28 days ago

Apparently people think a raised planter needs to be 15 inches wide under an eave. Think big. I have trees and plants in cinder block raised planters without a problem. The light bottom portion of your house is the cinderblock basement/crawlspace... there is dirt against that already. In fact it looks like more dirt needs to be brought in, it's too low now. So put in a proper barrier and raise a wide decorative planter on that wall. Of course there would have to be a well for the foundation vent.

I think multiple raised planters are the only answer here with all the windows being 7 feet off the ground. People do it all the time.

• tharp
    Original Author
    28 days ago

Thank you so much Paul

• tharp
    Original Author
    28 days ago

I am so grateful for all this input

• callirhoe123
    28 days ago

I would paint the window trim a softer, more blending color. The white just emphasizes the tiny, awkward windows. Then, below them some pretty flowering shrubs as suggested.

• tharp
    Original Author
    28 days ago

Thank you!