Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meghan_keller53

Advice to Update this Colonial

Meghan Keller
17 days ago

My husband and I just purchased this 1960s Colonial. We will be updating the home, and would love thoughts and advice to update the exterior! We don’t love the fake balcony, but would be open to updating the balcony since removal may be costly. We also don’t like the red accents. Would love thoughts, mock-ups, and any general advice! Thank you!

Comments (11)

• KW PNW Z8
    17 days ago

Congratulations on your new home! I think first order of business will be major pruning to lower shrubs that are blocking windows - or even digging up & moving some of them if possible. Not sure what they are but some look like evergreen & blooming shrubs. And, can’t tell from pics which are actually close to windows & blocking.Looks like a nice woodsy setting so maybe the shrubs can be moved & replanted after a rejuvenation pruning. The balcony is - well - interesting, Looks like the end columns provide support for roof overhang. Can you look at just removing railing & changing end supports to some other style that’s beefier looking?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    17 days ago

Your first order of business is a serious removal of all the too close to the house, overgrown landscaping.

Nothing great can happen to the exterior, until it is planned, and rectified. You can barely SEE the front elevation, and I'd not be surprised if the foundation has some moisture issues.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    16 days ago

Yes to removing the over growth. All those shutters need to go they are not appropriate on those windows Where do thse windows go inside . IMO if that balcony is wide enough why not make on of those window s a door to the bacony and have yoiur morning coffee there if there is a view even better. You have some nice brick so get rid of the rest of the red and maybe this color for the siding . I do not even see the entry . Please remove the overgrowth the post new pics here of the house post in a comment DO NOT start another post .

• apple_pie_order
    16 days ago

Will you be keeping the greige siding color or repainting the trim and siding both?

It's April and shrubs are about to bloom through May. I suggest pruning and transplanting after you see what blooms that you like. Cut some flowering branches to bring inside.

The overgrown juniper could be removed immediately.

If you must repaint the railing soon, try using the same greige as the siding. The railing will be far less visible.

• deegw
    16 days ago
    last modified: 16 days ago

Congratulations on your new home! A brutal yard cleanup and a trim color change will make a huge difference.

Has someone checked the integrity of the retaining walls? I was going to suggest pressure washing be added to your yard update list but I'm not sure if the wood panels could take it. The back stairs behind the driveway need a good scrubbing as well.

This house has a more modern version of your balcony. I'd paint the posts the same color as the house so they disappear.

• Meghan Keller
    Original Author
    16 days ago

This is all great! Thank you so much for the advice and ideas. First order of business will be making sure grading and drainage are okay! We will absolutely be power washing, and then cleaning up the landscaping before we even touch the facade. I will circle back with updates once we have them, though it may be a few months as we have a lot of work to do!

• Hellogardener
    16 days ago

It’s a very nice house. Keep us updated. Would love to see it once everything is pruned back so we can see the house better.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    16 days ago

Nice house 🙂

Can a fake balcony support any weight, I wonder?

And that does seem to be a strange and mysterious mix of details up there - the siding, shutters and railings don't seem to go together at all.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    16 days ago

FYI no pressure washing brick only a very low pressure clean up there. I will wait for the new look .

• Meghan Keller
    Original Author
    16 days ago

Thanks for that tip, Patricia!

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    15 days ago

I would clean up entrance from bushes to make it more open and inviting.

View from the Front · More Info