Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
forhgtv

A MCM Restoration/Reconceptualization I Actually Like

Fun2BHere
15 days ago

I don’t particularly like MCM houses, but this one is absolutely perfect to me. I think it is a sympathetic reimagining of the house, modernizing the floorplan and finishes without destroying the concept of the house. What do you think?

Clear Oak House in Encino, CA

Comments (17)

• DLM2000-GW
    15 days ago

Absolutely stunning. The key is something he said at the end - discipline.

• jakabedy
    15 days ago

It’s wonderful.

• bpath
    15 days ago

It’s lovely. And some of my favorite features: courtyard entry, glass hallway, lots of natural material, and the discipline and restraint.

• barncatz
    15 days ago
    last modified: 14 days ago

I agree, it's wonderful. The exterior- house interactions - that pool next to the hallway and the borrowed vistas, as the architect explained, are jawdropping. I even found the pool view, as those bedroom curtains opened, which normally does little for me, to be beyond beautiful.

I really enjoyed this - thanks.

Fun2BHere thanked barncatz
  • nini804
    15 days ago

So lovely! I was worried when they started the tour that the interiors would be dark, because the entry and den seemed quite dark to me. But all of the other spaces were bright, and those views!!😍 Stunning

• lisaam
    15 days ago

Really lovely. love the solar shade on the kitchen skylight, the glass and views, the sense of simplicity and calm.

• sushipup2
    15 days ago

Beautiful house.

I wish there were still pictures instead of a slow video, like I didn't need to focus on a chair or the innards of a piano. Guess I am just too antsy for videos.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    15 days ago

I don't like MCM, I don't like MCM, I don't... but this is beautiful.

It looks like such a pleasant space to live in!

• Lars
    15 days ago

I like the house in general, but I really dislike the teak paneling - I could never live with walls that color - I find it nauseating and depressing. The furniture is also unimpressive, and overall, I hate the color scheme - way too much brown, which is my least favorite color, and the browns used in this house have too much yellow in them, which is what I find nauseating. I like teak in small doses, but never on walls or cabinets. I would prefer bleached maple or ash.

The architecture of the house is nice, however, and that is what I like most. The outdoor space is fantastic, as are the views.

• sushipup2
    14 days ago

Thank you, Fun!

• Lars
    14 days ago
    last modified: 14 days ago

Yes, teak is a step up from grainy plywood, but I've not really noticed plywood in MCM houses. There is also furniture grade plywood, which could have maple or ash as its finished side, and I think that would be better than teak.

I do have quite a bit of teak furniture plus some accessories, and so as I said, I do like teak in small doses - the same way I like orange in small doses - as an accent or contrast color, but not as a main or overall color, in general.

My ex-boss has done rooms with Macassar Ebony veneered walls and also with Sapele Mahogany veneered walls that had a dark stain, and I liked those. They have more depth than teak. Actually, I prefer dark oak paneling to teak - it is the yellowish tint to teak that bothers me, but it is also rather flat looking compared to some other woods.

• DLM2000-GW
    14 days ago

Lars I agree that ash would also have been a beautiful choice - the house my parent built in 1960 had ash doors, baseboards, window/door trim and one room paneled in V-groove ash planks of varying width. I do love the teak in this instance and think it adds to the design as a whole, a warm counterpoint to other elements that are cool - I like the mix.

Anu Garg's Word of the Day email always ends with A Thought For Today - this one speaks directly to this house.

A THOUGHT FOR TODAY:

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. -Leonardo da Vinci, painter, engineer, musician, and scientist (15 Apr 1452-1519)

• barncatz
    14 days ago

I'm enjoying the discussion about the teak paneling and watched the video again.

• Specific ibex
    14 days ago

I love the simplicity of the materials, the rectilinear form, and the WINDOWS.

• Jilly
    14 days ago

What a gorgeous house and setting. Love everything about it — the materials, the organic feel, the design, all of it. It’s so serene.

I could move in today and wouldn’t change a thing.

If y’all need me, I’ll be reading on my chaise, overlooking the pool.

Or in my tub, overlooking the gardens.

Thank you for sharing, Fun!

Fun2BHere thanked Jilly
  • jsk
    14 days ago

Love the pool, the big windows, the pool and of course the view.

But I really don't like anything else. Not an MCM fan. It always feels too cold/sterile to me.

Can we talk about the sliding doors opening a room to the outside? I love the concept and I love the look, but I don't know how it works in real life. Here my house would be filled with bugs, squirrels and probably birds.

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus