Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_142622082

They brought back the Sound of Music!

rob333
15 days ago

I have no idea why but it's been gone for a year. Disney+ brought back The Sound of Music. I'm so happy. If you didn't know, you're welcome. I'm so so happy 😃

Comments (31)

• Fun2BHere
    15 days ago

That’s great. I own a copy, so I’ve never looked for it on a streaming platform.

• Elmer J Fudd
    15 days ago

Public libraries usually have extensive collections of movies that have been the most popular over the years. This one is typical of the kind likely to be found. And it being a musical, the music's the thing. Buy the CD and you can listen to it whenever you want to.

• arcy_gw
    15 days ago

It's disappointing to hear Disney owns The Sound of Music.

• bpath
    15 days ago

Being a movie musical, the music and the visuals are the thing. It’s such a pretty movie.

I’m so glad it will be streaming, maybe kids will see it. Although, we had the video and little DS found the second half (Nazis) scary.

There are movies I love to watch over again, and was getting frustrated when they left wherever they’d been streaming, so I have been collecting them for a dollar or two apiece at the church rummage sale, thrift store, etc.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    15 days ago

Another good reason why I do not need to sign up with Disney+ for streaming services. I cannot tolerate the movie or the music and I had a very hard time sitting through a high school version of the musical (although it was quite well done). It is so saccharine and goody-goody it makes me physically queasy.

• Mystical Manns
    15 days ago

Thanks for the update, LOVE the Sound of Music! I can sing along with every single song. LOL

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    15 days ago

Another Rogers & Hammerstein fan here. We don't have Disney+, but I think we have a copy of the movie around here somewhere.

I know all the songs by heart anyway - love Julie Andrews!

• chisue
    15 days ago

gardengal -- Yup, me too. Is it really extremely long, or does that just me? I think it's very 'Disney' -- or better, 'Hallmark'.

There's something for everyone...and The Music Man for me!

• Elmer J Fudd
    15 days ago

" It is so saccharine and goody-goody "

Yeah, fair point. I enjoy most of the best-ever musicals, I don't think this one is near the top of that list. When you think of the likes of Les Mis, Hamilton, Fiddler, Phantom, South Pacific, Lion King, West Side Story, Oliver, and similar, it's tough competition.

As for Disney+ and some of the other streaming services, don't overlook the usefulness of short, one-off monthly subscriptions. Most don't require contracts. We have plenty of choices with Netflix and Prime but without several short periods of Apple, we wouldn't have enjoyed the available seasons of Ted Lasso. Ditto with Disney+, a recent instance of something very worthy of a short subscription was the Beatles Get Back. Fantastic. Both of these are examples of exclusive content not available elsewhere easily accessed with a short-term signups.

• Elmer J Fudd
    15 days ago

PS - I'm not sure what's up with arcy's gripe about Disney and this movie. No way to know who owns the rights - S of M is available on most streaming services. Disney simply provides it for no charge, a come-on to gain subscribers. All the services do this.

• sephia_wa
    15 days ago

I think I've watched it once, and I slept through part of it 🥱

• Lars
    15 days ago
    last modified: 15 days ago

I've never seen SOM. I think I was too old by the time it came out, and I was never a Julie Andrews fan.

I'm not big on musicals, but I did like Oklahoma and Cabaret, to name a couple that Elmer neglected to mention. There are very few that I want to see twice, but Tommy and Wizard of Oz are exceptions, and I've watched both of those multiple times.

An obscure one I like is Li'l Abner, for which I have the DVD. I met Julie Newmar at a convention and had her autograph my copy of it, but when I handed it to her, she said, "What's this?!" She was at the comic book convention because she had played Catwoman on Batman. She acted like she had forgotten about her role as Stupefyin' Jones. I loved her in that role, but then I loved her as Catwoman also.

As a child, my mother took me to a lot of opera because my father would refuse to go, and I liked that then, but now not so much.

• chisue
    15 days ago

Oh dear, seeing Finding Nemo as a toddler led to our DGS refusing to eat fish for life.

I love Oklahoma. My DM had the zillion-record original album that I listened to countless times, despite the constant interruptions due to its 78 format.

• bpath
    15 days ago

The Sound of Music is a completely different type of show that the others mentioned as being better. Most of the others focus on social issues of some type. SOM not so much.

I’m a sucker for saccharine movies. R&H Cinderella, Mrs Harris Goes to Paris, The Bishop’s Wife. I love to be reminded of the love and goodness in the world.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    15 days ago

I think SOM is one of those movies that is still a cultural item, in that there are still a lot of phrases and images that people refer to from it. There are lots of movies like that, dating back at least 50 years, and there are always more being added to the list. I never particularly liked SOM, but I do love a lot of the music; if it were on, it's the kind of movie I'd stream while I'm working a jigsaw puzzle or preparing dinner, etc - just playing in the background. I generally like most musicals (and love some musicals), but this is not one of my favourite musicals.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    15 days ago

Was what happened in WWII era Austria not a social issue, among other things?

• bpath
    15 days ago

But the movie does not deal with it as much. In reality, the family was greatly affected by the depression and by the rise of AH, as Maria relates in The Story of the Trapp Family Singers, but the very condensed movie doesn’t get into it on a deep level.

• Elmer J Fudd
    15 days ago

Yes Lars, Oklahoma and Cabaret are both very good. But again, it's the music, not the lame stories or setting. I'm not a regular TV watcher but on getting an email that OK was on Tubi, I watched it a few weeks ago and was quite entertained. Corny story, lame lyrics "Oh, the farmer and the cowman should be friends" or "Everything's up to date in Kansas City, they've gone about as fer as they can go". Etc. I recommend it, Tubi is free too.

The album Tommy embedded itself deeply into me when it came out in the late 1960s and it's still there. Even better than the play (that I've seen a handful of times) is a video of a live Who performance of the album, findable online. But if going in the rock musical direction, don't leave off Hair, JC Superstar (for the music and ignoring the underlying subject matter) and School of Rock. All great music but not great musicals on any all time list the general public would accept.

• Olychick
    15 days ago

It's always nice when something like this happens that makes you happy and harms no one else!

• arcy_gw
    14 days ago

Either you like musicals or you don't it seems. To each their own. 99% of the ones mentioned I own a copy of so weather it streams or not isn't a huge thrill for me. We spend a lot of our entertainment time hitting community theatre musical productions. It's affordable entertainment and there are thousands of above average singers in the world.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    14 days ago
    last modified: 14 days ago

To those who wish me to buy a DVD (multiple), why pay for something more than once (streaming is enough. More than enough most of the time)? That's a waste of $$$ better used other places. Senseless suggestion.

I agree Oly! Who care if one doesn't like it? Let those who do like it, enjoy it.

• nicole___
    14 days ago

I love TSOM! I watch it every year around Christmas. I thought Julie Andrews, singing on the mountain, the mansion, the town....was magical.

• Elmer J Fudd
    14 days ago

There are multiple sellers offering the Julie Andrews version on Ebay for around $5. For someone who's so excited about it being on a streaming service that costs more than that per month, who doesn't want to stop by a library where it's always available and free, $5 is a cheap and easy solution. And not a waste of money, it's hardly enough to think about. Less than one or two stops at Starbucks.

The OP has changed the discussion in the thread from being a big deal to dissing suggestions for easy alternatives.. It's not worth a small amount of time to stop to pick it up for free or a very small amount of money to buy it. All the bases are covered.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    14 days ago

I didn't see anyone asking for suggestions, tho...?

• HU-787167202
    14 days ago

My experience with streaming services is the show you might want to see could be here today--gone tomorrow so some people may well want to have their own copy so they can watch when ever they are called to. At my home we watch certain movies specifically as a family at certain holidays. I do think the idea of buying/renting movies has gone the way of the dinosaurs. Those that have a library most likely bought them years ago. I dislike it when a specific streaming service buys a particular movie because then you have to have THAT service to evere hope to watch it. Cable TV used to provide several opportunities for a show to be watched. If a show left one channel it often popped up on another. To buy multiple streaming services costs as much or more than basic cable ever did. And now most have commercials so what is the up side of them?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    14 days ago

" To buy multiple streaming services costs as much or more than basic cable ever did. And now most have commercials so what is the up side of them? "

I disagree. I subscribe to maybe a half dozen streaming services and their monthly tab in total doesn't come anywhere close to the monthly cost of cable. Plus, there are a number of free streaming services.

Also, only one of my services have any commercials and they are hit or miss. Some shows have them - many do not.

You can Google a specific movie title and it will typically tell you where it can be viewed. Most often, it is offered through multiple options, both streaming or cable.

I think that streaming is the best thing to happen to home entertainment since color TV. I wouldn't live without it.

• Elmer J Fudd
    14 days ago

" I didn't see anyone asking for suggestions, tho...? "

The suggestions arose to explain that it never went away nor was it ever unavailable.

Most laptops have optical drives and these can be easily connected to a TV. Or, a useful DVD player can be purchased for $25 and open up the whole world of content from the library.

• Elmer J Fudd
    14 days ago

"I think that streaming is the best thing to happen to home entertainment since color TV."

You can't beat the convenience, that's for sure. There's almost too much available, it can be hard to look. I rely on newspaper articles offering suggestions like "the best movies on Netflix this month" or similar to make it easier.

Also as with my library suggestion above, we find it easy and quick to flip jewel boxes on the DVD shelves at the library to come upon movies and programs of interest. We're often there anyway, it doesn't take much time.

• donna_loomis
    13 days ago

Oh, I loved the first remake of Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella with Leslie Ann Warren!

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

That's available free on the streaming platforms Tubi, FreeVee, Plex, and Peacock Kids, Donna - I love it too 🙂

• wildchild2x2
    12 days ago

Back in my artistic roller skating days I was cast as a roller skating nun and villager in the production of SOM we did for a Gold Skate Classic. Hundreds of hand sewn spangles is what I still remember. Our habit reversed to villager and back again. We had to switch them in the dark and had less than two minutes to do so. Getting those wimples and veils on was an experience. Thank goodness for the costume makers making them in one piece. Fun times. Coach was going through a Disney phase. We did Cinderella the following year I believe.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH