Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
3r3o3b

Gardening club-Oenothera speciosa

rob333 (zone 7b)
14 days ago
last modified: 14 days ago

We had a plant/seed swap yesterday and someone brought a huge container of pink primrose. I think everyone pretty much avoided taking any. What would you have done? This person has been gardening for awhile and seems to gravitate towards "plants that fill the garden easily".

I had hoped this thing was going to be a learning experience, and we did talk about cold stratification yesterday, and nomenclature; that part was good. I took them in the yard so that I could show them habits of the plants I was donating (I didn't take anything since I'm good to go these days).

I just kept thinking (still!), the fact you have an entire tub to give away of one plant, probably ought to tell you something about it honey, but I left it alone. Whew.

Comments (8)

• marmiegard_z7b
    14 days ago

Well, you could have talked about potential uses such as concrete- bordered hellstrips or wild hillsides. In the link you posted, the author did just that; whilst battling it in her cultivated beds, she found it useful on a rocky slope.

So, there’s a plant for every situation. I’ve actually been interested in it for a weedy slope that’s away from my more intentional “ gardens”, but would want to know more about its ability to spread by seeds to areas I wouldn’t want it. Plus so far there may be better native alternatives.
  • rob333 (zone 7b)
    Original Author
    14 days ago
    last modified: 14 days ago

Maybe it could've been a teaching lesson, but she sent me pictures of other things I'd not put into my garden either. Sort of reminded me of the gardener with the username kudzu who hung out here forever ago. Always wanted to sing the benefits of something the South is still battling with goats. I think the garden club participant just wants it easy and to "smother weeds". That's my least favorite phrase to hear. There's no such plant. Well, it will smother weeds and everything else in its path.

marmie, read closer...

"...But it saw a golden opportunity (rich soil, full sun, lots of room) and has popped up amid young plants that are not yet established" I'm pretty sure she knew battle was about to begin. It will choke out everything in its path. Those roots grow a foot down into the soil. You're not getting them out. I'm happy to grow O. macrocarpa all day long. But pink ladies? Nope. It's right up there with Myosotis sylvatica. Never.

• marmiegard_z7b
    14 days ago

Good to know!

• LaLennoxa 6a/b Hamilton ON
    10 days ago

Is there a native variety that is more desirable? Here it is oenothera biennis. Long story short, I share an allotment plot with a neighbour who for the past two years has gone AWOL. She kept indicating she may be returning, so I decided it was just easier for my sanity to divide the plot in half and maintain just my side. So of course her side became all overrun, and I noticed colonies of the evening primrose had established there.

In fairness to us plant sale people, sometimes it’s not only what takes over our gardens that we pot, but is easy to divide, pots up easily, rebounds nicely in the pot for an easy sale. I’m no expert, but I’ve been learning a bit about propagation through trial and error. I’ve learned in my established garden that some plants form such dense, thick, root masses - that you can easily take chunks of it out, chop it into small bits, and each of those bits produces a nice size plant very quickly. Most of these plants don’t fall in the invasive category - just in the easy to divide category. I have this one single helianthus; I dug it up and the root mass was huge, like a rhubarb. So I literally chopped it in half, threw the one half back in the ground, and the other half divided into like small bits. Ended up potting up 18 one gallon containers! Thought I had gone overboard by doing it too early in the season (early March!) and had likely messed up, but all those pots are showing great growth.

• linaria_gw
    10 days ago

somewhat OT,

but the O speciosa seems to catch moths, because the flower spure does not go together well with some of the "moth notzzels" (what is the proper term for their drinking organ, pls?)

for some reason several moth species get stuck in the flower while reaching for the nectar and die. I read about it on a German garden forum, but there are other articles on this phenomenon as well

just so you can avoid it if you are into wildlife gardening (or just considerate). I personally toyed with the idea of getting some plants, liked their resilience, but switched to something different after learning of the "moth catching"

Oenotherea speciosa killing some moths

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    Original Author
    10 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

LaLennoxa, I'm happy to grow O macrocarpa all day long. It has the most gloriously gigantic yellow blooms. It even grows from cuttings easily. I've never had it reseed, but I'd be thrilled if it did.

https://www.applewoodseed.com/product/evening-primrose-missouri/

Linaria, I hadn't heard that; it is sad.

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    10 days ago

Yes to O. macrocarpa! I adore this plant too Rob.