Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_884961051

Bathroom Reno guidance for first time home owner??

CC
13 days ago

Hi! I’m a first time home owner and the only aspect of my new apartment that I absolutely despise and definitely want to fix up is the bathroom in our living room. We don’t want to demo the tub or the flooring, but we hate the wall tiling, the cabinet and the countertop. Very outdated and lifeless. We don’t quite know where to start or what to consider… Any inspiration, guidance and tips would be helpful.

How much should we budget for this? What should we focus on? How long does something like this take?

thank you!

Comments (15)

• AnnKH
    13 days ago

I've always felt that a bathroom is a place where you can have fun with the decorating scheme. Your picture is the exact opposite! Beige and bland.

Is the whole room tiled? I was thinking a colorful paint job would do wonders, but that's not possible if the walls are tiled.

I can't answer your questions, but I do suggest getting a snazzy shower curtain and some colorful towels in the meantime.

• la_la Girl
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

If it were me, I would not touch the bath wall tile as waterproofing correctly is $$$ - I think the floor is nice and neutral.

Short shower curtains make me insane, so I would invest in a custom shower curtain that falls just above the floor (Etsy is a great source)

I would change the lighting above the mirror and add a nice rug - if you want to spend more money, buy a new free standing vanity - there are lots of choices and that is not expensive

• bpath
    13 days ago

The cabinet matches your kitchen cabinets, but how has it held up in the bathroom?

The tile. When it was put in, several years ago, even here on Houzz it was called ”timeless” . Famous last words! It looks in good condition, new, except at the bottom there by the top of the tub.

The biggest issues with the bathroom are pretty easily solved: new light, paint the walls, nice towels, rug, nice shower curtain (and it will have to be long).

Biggee issues, because the vanity does show some wear: maybe a new vanity, with some drawers for easy-to-use storage, and preferably one that isn’t on legs, too much crap accummulates under there; and a (recessed if possible) mirrored medicine cabinet. Mirrored on the inside, too, if you can.

• CC
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Oh I HATE the tiles and will absolutely be re-tiling! Since this is the big reno project for the house we are open to spending the money

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    13 days ago

40K+ and three months of your life. If you chose well, Do you still hate the bathroom?

• bpath
    13 days ago

Is there another bathroom? If not, the workers are supposed to leave you with at least a functioning toilet when they leave each day. And in the meantime, join a gym for the showers.

• artemis78
    13 days ago

If it were me, I’d leave the shower alone since it’s neutral and just do the floor tile plus a new vanity—I think you could get a lot of mileage out of that to change the look and feel of the space, and of the two tiles, the flooring looks much more dated to me. If you really want to do the wall tile, then I’d just do the whole thing—the flooring will stick out even more if you update the rest. Whatever you decide to do, wait a year to make decisions so that you can see what you like and dislike after living in the space. You can use that time to start collecting contractor recs.

• deegw
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

What don't you like about the shower area tile? Will you be ripping out the tub as well?

Your bathroom is boring but I don't think it needs a gut reno. Cosmetic changes will make a huge difference. Paint, lighting, mirror, shower curtain, cute bath rug. Done.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    13 days ago

I just saw on your other post you are in Manhattan. Double both the numbers I tossed out.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    13 days ago

I like the tub tile is is neutral and looks to be well done . Get a new vanity top and make it the same color as the strip in the tub surround . I like hinged glass shower screens more than shower curtains so maybe that . Some hooks instaed of towel bars and nice colored towels.

• la_la Girl
    13 days ago

-once you bath touch tile and it involves waterproofing, it's a gut remodel which can be tons of fun, just more money and time

• worthyvess
    13 days ago

One idea is a dark, moody bathroom. Might be rough with a white tub though, unless you keep a shower curtain and cover it to the floor.

• kazzh
    13 days ago

The white tile leaves room for a splash of paint. And the option to repaint in the future if your taste in color changes…. You could go a soft pastel or strong and moody and maybe change the vanity if you desperately want to…

• Nancy in Mich
    12 days ago

What’s to hate? I think you need to observe the rule that you should live a year in a new home for at least a year to be sure what you need out of a remodel. Yes, the tile is plain and shiny. At least the green stripe and green floor match well, though. Do you prefer a matte finish? Be wary of following trends in something as long-lasting as a tile bathroom.

Live with this bathroom while you settle in, discover your needs in this home, and watch how others in the building do with their remodels before you jump in. Remodeling in a condo or apartment is a lot more complicated than in a single family home. You may want to wait until certain members of the board leave, rules change, or whatever is needed to make a remodel easier. You have a great working bathroom, so you have the option to observe, see roadblocks and what is behind them before you get tied up in a remodel.