Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
erinkania

Windows too close to floor

erinkania
13 days ago

I had a modular home delivered today. The windows are incorrectly set at only 13" off the floor. I ordered taller windows that should've been set higher than the door jambs. The factory incorrectly set them all to line up with the top of door frame. I understand why they did it but it wasn't what the designer(builder employee) and I had decided on. They will need to replace all with tempered glass at a minimum. The builder says raising the windows is not an option at this time since the continuous header is set at the existing height. He is willing to make the windows smaller so they come up off the floor by another 6 inches or so or leave them and figure out another solution. I'm looking for the best option for leaving the windows and decorating accordingly. I need plenty of light which is why I ordered the larger taller windows. Suggestions appreciated. Criticism can be saved for another day. I am already upset enough. Thank you!

Comments (14)

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    13 days ago

What does the "designer(builder employee)" suggest for the appropriate solution?

erinkania thanked Mark Bischak, Architect
  • erinkania
    Original Author
    13 days ago

I am waiting to hear back from the designer regarding suggestions.

• Yvonne Martin
    13 days ago

I wonder if a different arrangement of furniture is called for. Perhaps having the couch facing the fireplace and more open chairs next to the window.

erinkania thanked Yvonne Martin
  • erinkania
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Yvonne I think that could work in the living room and on one of the bedroom walls. Thank you for your suggestions. There are 2 windows on either side of the bed that are problematic and in the tiny kitchen nook. There is also a tiny office/ / guest area which are challenging. Plantation shutters for those areas or bottom up shades maybe?

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    12 days ago

I see no pics so impossible to understand why 6" is such a big deal . Apparently you have a FP I ahve lots of windows in my home at 1a bit over a foot off the floor and never really thought about it they line up with the

• erinkania
    Original Author
    12 days ago

It's a big deal because it is not what I had planned for the space and not what was ordered. Thanks anyways. Pictures are not available at this time.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    12 days ago

The distance to the floor doesn’t matter when decorating but the loss of light at the top does. I’ve never dealt with modular homes but I understand they use stick framing like a regular house- why can’t the header be cut and moved up and a transom window added above?

erinkania thanked HALLETT & Co.
  • erinkania
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Thanks for the suggestions . The builder said the modular company says there is a continuous header and short of lifting the roof and reframing and moving the header, not another option.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    12 days ago

Someone needs to tell the "designer(builder employee)" "the modular company says there is a continuous header" so this does not happen again to anyone else.

erinkania thanked Mark Bischak, Architect
  • chispa
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

I wouldn't allow any work to be performed until they figure out a solution ... even one that ends with the modular company picking up the modules that were built incorrectly and did not follow the signed plans. Sounds like your builder ordered something that can't be built, but the modular company should not have proceeded before getting a signed correction to the plans.

You might want to consult with a construction lawyer.

erinkania thanked chispa
  • PRO
    Minardi
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

Even a continuous header can be cut, and resupported at the ends, if the foundation is altered to carry those new point loads. It can be made shorter, but not longer. The cost to do that would be very high, so replacing the windows with tempered glass ones, and getting another upgrade you wanted, would be appropriate to compensate you. It shows flexibility, and a willingness to work with the builder.

erinkania thanked Minardi
  • erinkania
    Original Author
    12 days ago

The contractor is looking into the best way to address the error. I am thankful and pleased that they are taking responsibility. I appreciate your insight and time Minardi and others that commented.

• dan1888
    11 days ago

Check the code requirements. Some solutions may be to replace the insulated glass segment of the window with the interior pane using laminated glass. A lot cheaper than tempered. The quick and dirty solution is to add an interior wood crossbar at 36". After the occupancy is granted, you can do what you want.

erinkania thanked dan1888