Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mamajean15

Paint DR set or pass?

mamajean15
13 days ago
last modified: 13 days ago

Paint dining room set to update or no? Many say DR sets are passe should I pass on bringing my mothers DR set home or update qnd beautify. It's lovely now but caning on chairs torn so either need repaired or replaced
Note photos in next comment

Comments (24)

• mamajean15
    Original Author
    13 days ago

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    13 days ago

Do you like it? Does it hold fond memories? What does your space look like?

mamajean15 thanked HALLETT & Co.
  • PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    13 days ago

Yes, as Hallett asked--do you like it? That's the only criterion that matters. What others consider "passe" or "dated" is irrelevant. Does it work with the furniture in the rest of your house?

The question of what to do with the caning on the chairs would be answered by how much it would cost to repair it, and what your budget is. Cost/benefit analysis, which can only be answered by you.

The china cabinet can hold a lot of dishes/glasses/plates. If you need storage for those items in your dining room, then it is a practical consideration. You can keep any, all or none of the items. Your choice.

mamajean15 thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • kandrewspa
    13 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

The table isn't really traditional. It could work in a modern setting with different chairs. If you reupholstered the chair seats and fixed the cane they would be fine - but were they really sold with that table in the first place? Other than the color of the wood they don't look like they go together. You could sell the chairs. You wouldn't get a lot of money for them, but someone will want to fix them up and use them.

I'm not crazy about the china cabinet, but I'm thinking if you painted it black and changed the hardware it would be better. Do you need a piece of furniture like this? As the other commenters have said, does it fit with your style? What does your living room look like?

mamajean15 thanked kandrewspa
  • mamajean15
    Original Author
    13 days ago

• mamajean15
    Original Author
    13 days ago

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    13 days ago

The table is simple, clean classic. the hutch is as well, and could be great, painted,.

The chairs owe nobody a single dime.

Add pics of the rest of your space. The cabinet needs NO art around it, nor the laundry basket : )

Depends you and nobody else, what you like or want. But you are giving us nearly zero context to help you decide? :)

mamajean15 thanked JAN MOYER
  • mamajean15
    Original Author
    13 days ago

• apple_pie_order
    13 days ago

Thanks for additional photos of your space.

If you love or like the set and you have happy memories associated with it, bring it home. It looks like good quality. If it is difficult for you to make decisions right now, bring the whole set home. You can decide about the chairs later. It can take quite a while to find a new set of chairs.

The cane backs can be repaired with new cane if you like the chair style.

If you have the option of bringing home the crystal chandelier, it could add a beautiful sparkle to your dining room.

mamajean15 thanked apple_pie_order
  • mamajean15
    Original Author
    13 days ago

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    13 days ago

The China cabinet doesn’t have to hold China either. It could be lacquered, the back wallpapered, filled with books and would replace that lamp and small side table on the end wall of your lr.

mamajean15 thanked HALLETT & Co.
  • apple_pie_order
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

Do you have a separate dining area or dining room? It looks like the one near the kitchen is already nicely furnished.

Edited to add: is the room with the two sofas a flex room that would be a formal dining room if you brought the set home?

• mamajean15
    Original Author
    13 days ago

• marmiegard_z7b
    13 days ago

I’m kind of fond of china cabinets as dust- protection for lots of things— dusting is increasingly no fun! . As pictured above, I have books in one along with some favorite decor items. Yes, I still have open bookshelves with books & other stuff.

I like the streamlined style ( though mine are not). I do think it’s all a matter of what you really want, need and will use. Sentiment is great if it’s good memories but not enough to let things take over your space. I have also eventually passed along furniture initially taken from downsizing or departed loved ones because I couldn’t decide in the timeframe given. Or had some decor ideas that just didn’t work out. And also later downsized myself. Nothing of great value, it would have just been donated anyway. I’m not suggesting you get sucked back in if you already have decided to let it go, and just saying that sometimes it’s hard. But also can be hard to get something carted off from your house later.

OTOH I have strong reactions to certain colors or shapes or just stuff— both yay and nay- and can walk away from someone else’s cherished item if I just don’t like the color, or treasure some little dinky thing that meant little to them if I love how it looks.

• worthyvess
    12 days ago

I think the set is beautiful. Especially the China cabinet, which might be coming back in. I agree it’s great to display anything, minus the dust!
    I wouldn’t paint that wood! If you hate it dark, you could strip and stain it. Even bleach it.
    The table looks quality too.
    Try to get quality furniture nowadays without spending a years salary. And then it still can be questionable.
    If the chairs are good, fix them up.
    The style of everything seems timeless to me, and could fit into most decors.

mamajean15 thanked worthyvess
  • PRO
    12 days ago

I'd love to know who decreed that china cabinets are out????

• Kendrah
    12 days ago

Your pics are super confusing. Do you want to turn the room with the two smaller sofas into a formal dining room?

As others have said, keep the table as is and paint the china cabinet. Get new chairs. I presume recaining would be expensive.

• Susan Davis
    12 days ago

I love your foyer. It looks nicely filled and makes a statement.

ls that the feel you want for your dining room, which is where the two sofas facing each other are?

I would bring home the china cabinet and the table and open the table with all leaves as it looks like you have the space. Then begin purposefully designing your dining room.

Find some chairs that contrast with the table and that have upholstery to soften the whole room in something you love. You are going to have fun with the room and it will be so pretty at the entry of your home. Here are some inspiration pics.

Antiques etc.

Easy-going Elegance for an Irvington Family · More Info

Contemporary and wow with colorful chairs

Street of Dreams · More Info

Traditional and somewhat formal.

Federal Farmstead · More Info

Happy hunting for the perfect chairs.

• salonva
    12 days ago

Following along, and it probably would be helpful if you could answer some of the questions people have been asking. It's very helpful that you've added more photos of the your space, but a few words of clarifications would be even more helpful.

I think it looks like it would work well in your space and I love the ideas being shared here, particularly the painting in jewel tones laquer for some.

• worthyvess
    11 days ago

Diana Bier, not sure if that was addressed to me, but we all know decorating trends are just that, not decrees. I personally like China cabinets.
    On the other hand, painting a quality wood piece may be something regretted down the road.

• pricklypearcactus
    11 days ago

I am making an assumption that the photos of the dining room table and chairs and china cabinet are in OP's mother's home. And the photos of the room with the chandelier and the sofa is OP's room where the dining set could go.

I think it looks like a nice dining set and I am partial to stained wood rather than painted, especially in stains similar to the one of the dining set. So I personally would not paint it. Or I would at least try it in the room without painting.

Whether it's worth repairing the chairs really depends on whether the chairs are comfortable and you like them. If you do, I'd consider having the caning repaired and maybe the seats reupholstered in a fabric of your choosing that fits with the colors in your home. As for the china cabinet, you can also store anything you want in there, china or otherwise. Art, collectibles, etc. It's essentially just a glass front cabinet and you can use it how you choose. Or if you feel like it's too big or you don't have things you want to display, you can always break up the set and part with whatever isn't working for you (china cabinet or chairs, etc).

• PRO
    11 days ago

worthyvess, my comment was directed to all the many pronouncements of what is or is not "on trend," "dated," "out," "passe," and all the other dicta that the design world adopts.

My philosophy is that instead of worrying about what is in or out, decide for yourself what you like and need and can afford. You'll be happier in the long run if you just go with your gut. I've always tried to get the best quality I could afford and keep it for the long haul. I'm sure that someone coming into my house right now would turn up their nose at the 18th century reproduction cherry furniture with cabriole legs and broken pediments, raised paneled fireplace mantels, pumpkin pine flooring and trim, lots of color, swag and jabot curtains, toile and floral fabrics, shirred bedskirts, etc. But it is all high quality and I loved it back when I bought it and I still love it now.

The biggest issue, however, is if you like something that has been determined to be "out" it is more difficult to find in the marketplace. So then you go to ebay, estate sales and thrift stores and get a great deal on what everyone is throwing out!

• worthyvess
    10 days ago

Totally agree Diana!
    With the plus that if it is old, it is many times higher quality!