Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katie_strathmann

Kitchen layout help

Katie S
12 days ago

Would love any advice on this tentative kitchen layout.

Specifically:

* the appliance layout

* prep sink in island (i feel strongly with how much bigger the kitchen will be, a prep sink is important

* window over sink is an area im concerned about. I want a clean look with some wall mounted gold sconces above, but now that i realize we will need blinds or curtains for privacy, im leaning towards no sconces and no floating shelves. But i still want the window to be a wow factor.

* there will be a hood added over the range. How about floating shelves flanking that?

cabinets will be soft white

island will be navy blue

antique gold fixtures

2 large latern pendants over the island

white counter tops

island counter calcutta gold

backsplash will be a mix of varied whites, off whites, and light gray i believe

our current kitchen dining table will be along the half wall separating our kitchen and living room

thank you!

Comments (11)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

Are you after a logical layout, or should we get you a pair of roller skates: )?

You have over six feet to the left of your WOW window. I would put the fridge there, and, you'd not need a prep sink. It would take the fridge away from an entry point as well.

You have placed a dishwasher between cook and sink, so you do NOT want that, either. Better to go left of your sink.

The range wall , same 19' ish as the sink wall, basically seems more than enough for ovens.

The kitchen feels a bit like cabinetry overkill $$$$........and where you have ovens? I would have nothing, allowing you to extend the island a bit..

• Katie S
    Original Author
    12 days ago

@kendrah yes planning to do disposal ane pull out for prep sink. Thanks!

• Katie S
    Original Author
    12 days ago

@Jan Moyer The reason we didnt want the fridge to the left of the sink is because walking in from the front hallway, thats all you would see. Will definitely think about it though, thank you!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    12 days ago

Get a Sub Zero, clad the fridge to match cabinetry, and ELIMINATE some of the other cabinetry you may not need.

Everyone is best at something. S.Z is best at cooling

• Kendrah
    12 days ago

What is your appliance budget? If you can easily afford a subzero, it is the way to go. The fridge is the first thing you see upon entering my home. Previous owners had a piece of junk stainless Bertazzoni fridge. I replaced it wil a subzero, panel front, with gorgeous brass handles. Makes all the difference. Subzeros are tanks. But also cost a small fortune.

If you keep the fridge in its current location, I’d consider elimination the tall pantry to the left and making that uppers and lowers with counter space. It will reduce the fortress like feel of all that tall cabinetry and lighten things up a bit.

Also, what do you intend to store in the tall cabinets to the left of the wow sink? Could you make them uppers, sitting directly on top of lowers with a sliver of countetop material running through them at countertop height to help reduce the fortress like feel of those too?

• anj_p
    12 days ago

If you use ovens a lot, consider a range. Having a double oven stack out of the way makes using the ovens a bit of a pain. Ask me how I know. And I don't use my ovens that much. If you really want a cooktop/double oven scenario, consider moving the double ovens closer to the cooktop.

You also should move the prep sink to the other side of the island so you have landing space for the fridge and ovens on your island.

Do not install open shelves next to your hood unless you get a crazy awesome hood with high CFM and makeup air. You will end up with greasy shelves and greasy everything on the shelves otherwise. At least, you will if you ever cook with oil (some people only boil water on the stoves so YMMV). My hood is decent (600 CFM) and I still have to wipe down my cabinets from time to time.

• kandrewspa
    12 days ago

How many inches between the island and the range wall? Should be 48". NKBA says minimum of 42", but 48" is better. In a kitchen of this size you shouldn't be skimping on this spacing.

• Katie S
    Original Author
    11 days ago

@kandrewspa yes there’s about 48”

• 3katz4me
    11 days ago

If you don't move the fridge or buy a SZ, I would recommend making the fridge surround and the cabinetry to the right of it deep enough to accommodate a full depth refrigerator. Cabinet depth refrigerators are so limiting and in most cases there's no reason why the fridge cabinetry can't be deep enough to accommodate full depth. My house has relatively inexpensive custom cabinetry but someone was smart enough to make a 30" deep fridge surround rather than 24" and I love them for it. I just bought a second home with cabinet depth - grrrrr.....

• PRO
    Rachiele Custom Sinks
    10 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

I made a 60 second video regarding considerations when planning walkway dimensions in a kitchen. I hope this helps someone! See it here.