Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jessica_tonjes

is there anything that can be done to make the floor look less PINK?

Jessica Tonjes
12 days ago
last modified: 12 days ago

Is there anything that can be done to make the kitchen floor with lower quality red oak look less red/pink to match the rest of the floors in the house?

We are 99.9 % sure we are ripping out the kitchen floors to match the rest of the house. A little variation im fine with but the color difference is so obvious!

Our contractor used Loba whitener, I think 2 coats throughout the house. Before he finished the last coat I told him to stop in the kitchen because the difference in the color of the floors is very obvious and does not look good (not his fault, the quality of the floor my GC installed in the kitchen is much lower than what the new flooring contractor installed in the rest of the house) Photos don’t even do it justice how pink they look compared to the other floors.
Back story:
We had 2 1/4 select grade red oak installed in our kitchen by our GC to match the existing old hardwood floors. We then decided to replace all the floors because they were too far gone to be saved. We ended up using 3 1/4 red oak in the rest of the house after making the decision to replace them. I would have done 3 1/4 throughout the kitchen if I had known we were replacing all of the floors.
You live and you learn.

The problem is, the kitchen floor is SALMON PINK compared to the Amish mill red oak.

Another problem - the cabinets, toe kick are installed. So that means that there Will be 2 1/4 under the cabinets and 3 1/4 in the areas that are seen. Also means we risk damaging the cabinets :(

Before we do this, any suggestions for what can be done??? All advice is VERY much appreciated!!

Comments (5)