Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txlady1

does this tile look uneven?

Lane S
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
I finally paid to have my tile installed. I thought something looked odd and looked closer and it appears that the tiles are not even. Am I being too picky? I knew it would not be perfect but I did pay $$$ to a reputable company. Also, a few days after the job was completed I noticed these bluish color in the corners of the shower walls that at first looked like mildew. The restroom has not been used since the tile was installed. Any ideas? I have all this bright white grout and then a discolored line around the tub and wall - looks like where they might have caulked.

Comments (34)

• PRO
    Main Line Kitchen Design
    10 years ago
    Dark corners may just be thicker grout taking longer to dry. From the pictures everything looks OK to me. The middle photo is where the ceiling and wall meet?
  • JRH76
    10 years ago
    The tiles look even to me and I'm picky about stuff like that too. The corner does look darker though, hopefully it's still just drying like Main Line said.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    I am seeing nothing uneven. Can you explain what you mean? I am not sure why the grout looks darker in the corner. I would call the tiler and ask about it.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    Grout caulk, as opposed to grout may have been used in the corner. This allows for expansion and contraction. It may take longer to dry.
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    10 years ago
    There's not much the tiler could do since every small wall imperfection could potentially be detected.
    Lane S thanked Dytecture
  • Geneviève
    10 years ago
    It looks like something that someone with no experience in tiling did ,I have something similar to it. especially in the second photo corners meet.
    Lane S thanked Geneviève
  • Lane S
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Funny you should say that. The rest of the walls look even with the exception of this area. There were two guys and one of them was the nephew/helper. The installer was teaching his nephew as they went along and I thought the nephew was only cutting the tiles. One time when I walked in the room it was the nephew sitting on the stool in front of that section so I wonder if uncle let him tile that part. I dont think the nephew was on the payroll from the company I hired. I thought he was only cutting the tiles to help.
  • Geneviève
    10 years ago
    If the uncle was experienced he would have remove those tiles and told the nephew how to do it right while the compound was still fresh .
    isn't this what they call a shoemaker Job?
    Lane S thanked Geneviève
  • PRO
    Main Line Kitchen Design
    10 years ago
    @Genevieve The middle photo is where the wall meets the ceiling I assume, in which case the seams can't meet. It's not two walls meeting is it txlady? The tiles run in different directions.
    Lane S thanked Main Line Kitchen Design
  • Lane S
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    the middle photo is in the shower/tub. I had the walls in my shower tiled as well. They are even however it was that discolored seam (where the back and side wall meet) that grabbed my attention because I first thought mildew. It has been 2 weeks since the job was completed. I will upload more pictures.
  • Lane S
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    here is a view from the side. It doesnt show the uneven tiles as well as another picture that I have. If you notice where the grout lines stand out - this is where they stick out some. When you look down you can see it. The grout lines on the wall look like they have a ripple affect. Not sure how to explain it.
  • Lane S
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The shower walls look aewsome with the exception of the crease where the two walls meet. If after 2 weeks, should this caulk or whatever it have dried completely?
  • Lane S
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I paid $1600 ($1200) in labor for this. Do you think I am being realistic about my concerns or am I expecting too much in your opions. This is the first tile job I have had done.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    You should expect it to be perfect. However, I am just not seeing anything wrong.
    Lane S thanked CDR Design, LLC
  • PRO
    Main Line Kitchen Design
    10 years ago
    If you seal the grout several times which should be done if you have traditional grout, that may even out the color of the grout. If the grout was the popular epoxy grout, I know less about what might be up.
    Lane S thanked Main Line Kitchen Design
  • Amy Cali
    10 years ago
    looks like a good install from here :)
    Lane S thanked Amy Cali
  • Lane S
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I appreciate and thank you all for your comments. The discolored line does bother me as it makes the tile look "old" and not fresh. I will call the contractor and ask them what I (they) can do as it takes away from the rest of the job. Hopefully they have a solution. I do think it was an epoxy grout (tube like caulk gun) is what i think they used are that part. I just wish it were bright white like the rest of the grout lines.
  • Lane S
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I wanted to get second opinions becasuse now I want the other two walls tiled the same so I was going to call them back out. Hopefully they will send someone to look at that discolored line.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    Sometimes the grout caulk is hard to match in color. But, white is white.

I would definitely ask them about that. You should be 100% happy with the job. If they do not solve the problem, get a second quote on the second job, along with an opinion on the first job.
  • Lane S
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I will call them today. Not sure if I should call Home Depot or the actual installation company.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    Postivie and negative:

I have had some bad situations arise when using subcontractors from a big box store. The blame is shifted back and forth. However, this is clearly a labor issue, so I don't think you will have that problem.

On the other hand, there are 2 companies who should carry the responsibility.

So, to answer your question, I would call both. I keep a log of such calls. I would call Home Depot first. They will likely refer you to the contractor. However, if they have best practices, HOme Depot should be calling the contractor and giving them a heads up that customer called with a question/issue. Home Depot should also be following up with you in the future to make sure the issue is resolved. Nothing is worse than poor follow-through and/or no follow-through.

As you can imagine, Home Depot does not want to keep contractors on whom they receive numerous complaints. It does not reflect well on Home Depot.

Let us know how it goes.
  • Geneviève
    10 years ago
    @ main Line Kitchen Design ,
    I don't know anything about tile installation but if someone would measure correctly the width of each wall and then do a little math with the tiles ,don't you think that the cut tiles should be on the outer ledge of the shower rather then meeting at the corner of the interior wall? I hope that I can be understood ,it's not very easy to explain things not been on the spot .
    Lane S thanked Geneviève
  • Lane S
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I didnt notice that until you mentioned it and I looked closer at the picture. I agree with you and is another thing for me to metnion.
  • Geneviève
    10 years ago
    You call the person with whom you signed the work order and speak to them about it . .
    Lane S thanked Geneviève
  • Lane S
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    My apologies. I am sorry for the confusion on the middle picture. That is the inside of the recessed niche (shelf). He did measure out each of the tiles on the walls.
  • Geneviève
    10 years ago
    Okay that's better , I thought that it was the full wall .
    Lane S thanked Geneviève
  • Lane S
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    HD will be sending out someone from the install company to take a look. I will keep you posted. thanks again.
  • PRO
    ABK Today
    10 years ago
    I think main line kitchen design is giving you good advice. I honestly don't see any issues however it is tough to tell from a photo. As far as the discoloration of the corner grout joint, that's caused from the caulk that's required for a corner grout joint. Unfortunately it tends to be a shade darker then the actual grout. There really is not much you can do about that. Possibly using an enhancer on the grout so it darkens to a closer shade of the corner joint. It does not look like a bad job to me. Main Line Kitchens and our company are both very well respected Design/build companies in the Philly area, we would not steer you wrong. I would be happy to look at more photos if you like. I hope this was helpful
    Lane S thanked ABK Today
  • Lane S
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you for responding. In regards to the uneven tiles - what is noticable is the very slight protruding grout if that makes any sense. The first thing I noticed when I looked was the variation in the grout. When you look down the wall from the top you can see that it is the grout on the protruding tiles. I am sure once I finish the rest of the work and put everything back together I will not notice it so much. What irks me is the fact I think he was training his nephew on that section. I guess you have to learn somewhere.
  • Lane S
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I noticed that he used Bright White grout on the subway tiles and the caulk was Snow white. The caulk is a dingy grey and not so much bluish like I first thought. I remember him recommending bright white because the Snow White drys darker. Well, he was right. He just didnt think to use the same Bright White caulk.
  • PRO
    ABK Today
    10 years ago
    Yes he should have used the same color as the grout. That would be a mistake. I'm sure if you show him the mistake he will happily fix it.
    Lane S thanked ABK Today
  • Lane S
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I did call them out and they are going to redo the caulk. He said the Snow White dries to a darker shade. I really like the Bright White grout so once they replace the caulk to match I will be very happy with the job. He also looked over the tiles and said they looked good. Thank all of you for your comments and suggestions. Now I can paint and hang my pretty new shower curtain. :)
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    I love stories with happy endings! Glad to be of assistance.