Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_8464114

Your biggest design mistakes?

User
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
Sometimes learning the hard way is the best way to learn. Would anyone like to share what they've learned from their mistakes?

Comments (19)

• Kari Palomo
    10 years ago
    Apparently we are all perfect designers. LOL
    User thanked Kari Palomo
  • Judy M
    10 years ago
    Haha, the biggest one was the ivy wallpaper covering my entire kitchen. That paper paste was barely dry when that paper came down.
    There was also the time my husband put floral wallpaper upside down!

It took some experimenting with style for me to figure out I really like traditional furnishings.
    User thanked Judy M
  • vahidameri
    10 years ago
    سلام hi Parsisdecor ver veri good disine
    User thanked vahidameri
  • Melissa E
    10 years ago
    I should have taken a picture of it....it was hideous, but I didn't. I had a great idea to make a gingham pattern with paint in my very small bathroom, but I made it wavy. With a raspberry color. It was very bad.
    User thanked Melissa E
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    10 years ago
    Not me and I am willing to take my licks….

My powder room door opens into my kitchen : < (. I have worked hard to make it a fabulous room…antique gold mirror, wall paper, oils on canvas, pedestal sink, but access should have been from the den.
    User thanked JudyG Designs
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I will fess up, I have changed light fixtures in my dining room twice and my powder room twice to get it right. Changed the wall color in my powder room three times, and my living room/dining room twice to get it right. And this was after trying samples on the wall. Luckily my husband is very patient! :) The best thing I've learned is to have inspiration photos to keep on track and to show professionals, a picture "is worth a thousand words."
  • Emily H
    10 years ago
    Love this question! I'd say I've rushed into some paint colors that I should have tried out first.
    User thanked Emily H
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    Relatives were coming to visit. This was one of my many projects that sometimes are put on the back burner. I wanted to make myself new cornice valences. I had a vision in my mind for the fabric colors and somewhat of a pattern. Time was running short before their arrival. I don't know why this was so important to me at the time. I found a fabric that 'kinda' worked, colors, iffy pattern, iffy scale and it was cheap. So, I bought it. As I'm making them, I was not excited. By the time I put them up, I wanted to take them down. I knew I would not be happy until I found the fabric in my vision. Well, that's been a while and I am still looking for the right thing for me. It has to be out there LOL Lesson from this is not to buy something that you are not 'excited 'about!
    User thanked LB Interiors
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    10 years ago
    I have been know to have a room painted in one colour - then gone in and hated it and had it painted another colour within the space of 2 days before ! That's just me being a bit of a PITA though !! It has to be right in the end !!!! :-)
    User thanked OnePlan
  • User
    10 years ago
    I have repainted many a room. My husband has now taken over this duty. Something about what I see in my mind and on the chip does not equal the final product.
    User thanked User
  • stephmal
    10 years ago
    I had the wood floor on my entire first floor refinished. I agonized over the stain color for weeks prior. When I finally chose it, I had the guy do a test space in my foyer. Looked good. I approved it and he proceeded to apply the stain throughout. When I saw it covering the entire area, especially in the kitchen against the light maple cabinets, I immediately realized I went too red. Luckily he hadn't applied the poly. The next day he sanded it back down, and I went natural instead, too scared to commit. This was 10 years ago and I have changed it again since then.
    User thanked stephmal
  • sheriss
    10 years ago
    I am a homeowner with zero design skills and only learn from my mistakes. Too many mistakes. I had kitchen refaced and was talked into a light glaze on my cabinets. They are pretty but not for me and I had to buy a new stainless fridge when my white one was less than two years old. I was talked into granite when I wanted Corian and have let my husband be in charge of tv which is above the fireplace, with over $1000 worth of wiring and equipment. I finally learned to listen to myself and not ask for others opinions. Too little too late, these are mistakes that last forever. Also I learned not let husband make decisions when we both should. He chose ugly rock for the back yard. Sigh....
    User thanked sheriss
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I agree with sherris. Contractors and others have talked me into things which I ended up regretting many times. I have learned to do a lot of research before beginning so that I am sure of my choices, then stick to my guns during the process.
  • rredpenn
    10 years ago
    sheriss-- Are we married to the same man? ;)

My biggest mistake... buying furniture "one size fits all" when I am such a small-framed person. Our chairs and couches are too "big" for me--arms too high, seats too deep, etc. My NEXT living room will include something smaller and comfortable for me too! I end up sitting on the floor with my dogs or on the fireplace ledge when we have gatherings. Isn't that silly?
    User thanked rredpenn
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    rredpenn, great point. I've also learned the hard way that scale is so important to every purchase, whether it relates to the size of you, the size of your room, the size of the wall. Even with light fixtures, scale is important. Something in the wrong scale throws off the whole room, even if color and style are correct.
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    I fell in love with a handmade tile. I had to have it. Lesson 1: tile for kitchen counters is a bad idea. Lesson 2: handmade tile is a disaster.
    User thanked groveraxle
  • Danielle B
    10 years ago
    I have made several mistakes, luckily the worst ones were fixable, because they were painting mistakes. The one by far was using cobalt blue gloss paint in our kitchen. It was ugly, because it didn't cover well, and we could see through all the plaster fixes underneath... Another paint mistake was to use a golden beige tone in a room with golden oak floors. The colour looked like peanut butter on the walls...
    User thanked Danielle B
  • Danielle B
    10 years ago
    I am sharing another painting mistake, this one committed by my BFF. She used chocolate brown gloss paint in her bathroom, following the advice of the lady in the hardware store's paint department... It turned out looking like fresh poop... She still managed to sell her house. :-)
    User thanked Danielle B