Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aubussonhomefabrics

Before and after! Cow barn to great room!

Aubusson Home
10 years ago
Turning a cow barn into a home!

Comments (50)

• Mary Sheehan Zsemlye
    10 years ago
    Love this! The openness, the color of your island, and the chandeliers- lovely!
    Aubusson Home thanked Mary Sheehan Zsemlye
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    10 years ago
    Completely different space.
  • PRO
    Brown Bros. Masonry
    10 years ago
    Wow, amazing. Look at all you fit into that space and it flows so well. Love it!
  • PRO
    Travis Robert Renovations
    10 years ago
    Great transformation!
  • mmilos
    10 years ago
    That's the biggest island I've ever seen.
  • diyher
    10 years ago
    very nice transformation. What color did you paint the island?
  • estrogendesignchallenged
    10 years ago
    Absolutely Gorgeous!!!!
  • reghumechira
    10 years ago
    Before picture please ?
  • PRO
    purehome
    10 years ago
    Beautiful blue island!
  • PRO
    Aubusson Home
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    So thrilled you like it! Really wanted the turquoise island but was afraid it would be obnoxious! As it turns out it worked perfectly...even being 12 x 9 1/2". I'll try to post more pictures of the parts of the room that wouldn't fit in the picture.
  • unwantedadvice
    10 years ago
    This is a gorgeous kitchen, nothing about it that I don't love! Island is huge but so cool, love the color, the bottles atop the upper cabinet play off it so well. You must be beaming with pride about your design. :))
  • beetymunoz
    10 years ago
    Amazing!!!
  • barbara1946
    10 years ago
    Love, love, love!
  • Christy Sparkman
    10 years ago
    This looks amazing! Great way to utilize the space!
  • Socorro Martinez
    10 years ago
    I would love to have a kitchen this big!
  • PRO
    Interior Archaeology
    10 years ago
    I love to see stories play out like this - it's what home owning is all about. Congratulations!
  • Kathleen Thebeau_Warner
    10 years ago
    I'm in love with the light fixtures... they are beautiful.... ok I love the island as well... you did an amazing job.
  • Michael Turner
    10 years ago
    Wow. That's amazing.
  • PRO
    NEVERENDING ROOM
    10 years ago
    Love everything about it1
  • Kathy Johnson
    10 years ago
    Love this!
  • deb520
    10 years ago
    This isn't even the same space. Where are the windows from the before photo? Not to mention the stairs and windows in the "after" photo.
  • gbmcgovern
    10 years ago
    Where did you find the chandeliers?
  • riverpam
    10 years ago
    The new space is very attractive, but I am wondering how this possibly matches up with the " before" space. The windows and structural details do not align. Perhaps it is a completely different angle? If yes, it would be great if you could post comparable photos, so we can truly appreciate the transformation. I personally would have been reluctant to cover that beautiful terra cotta tile with wood. However, if the house is in a colder clime and the tile floor did not have radiant heat, an argument could have been made for having the comfort of wood (perhaps with radiant heat added) underfoot.
  • PRO
    Aubusson Home
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Nice pick up deb520 and riverpam. The other window was covered by the stairs. It is the exact same angle! We had to remove the stairs to make it possible to have a private master bath above. The wall to the left in the before picture was removed and a beam place across the structure which you can see in the after photo. As for the floor...being a barn there is no basement. Slab on grade tile without radiant heat was freezing not to mention we had to remove the entire floor to waterproof and add French drains. We did use reclaimed wood from another old barn.
  • PRO
    Aubusson Home
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Chandeliers were custom made.
  • alleykat6093
    10 years ago
    I love it. The turquoise island looks amazing!
  • changeisagoodthing
    10 years ago
    Beautiful, congratulations on your project. I find the space to be very warm and welcoming and the large blue island is the perfect foil for this large room. While travelling in Europe we've stayed in various barn structures that had been renovated to become personal dwellings. I love the character that they bring to the space. Thanks for sharing. Here's a couple of links to some of the places we stayed at in Italy and France. The original barns were built in the 1700s: http://www.resortfrati.it/eng/relax.php and http://www.les-granges-hautes.fr/en/accen.htm
  • PRO
    Julia & Elizabeth
    10 years ago
    What a beautiful, livable room!
  • parksb
    10 years ago
    Fabulous transformation. I love the blue island. Also love those gold chandeliers and the way they tie in with the gold granite on the island. Would love to see the range area.
  • PRO
    Comwest Construction
    10 years ago
    Nicely done. I like the corner bench seat. How big is that Island and is the granite one peace?
  • PRO
    Aubusson Home
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here are a few more before and after. I don't have one of the right side with the range on this computer. I can add them later.
  • PRO
    Aubusson Home
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Found one! This was taken for a local magazine article. The beam in the before picture was incorporated into the wall that the range is on. By doing this we eliminated the need for another I beam, created space for a large walk-in pantry, and provided the necessary duct work for the fume hood.
  • PRO
    Vintage Bath
    10 years ago
    Such a great before and after! Absolutely love those light fixtures, and the turquoise color island! Very crisp, but still warm and inviting!
  • Cyn
    10 years ago
    Love, love the island! Love the granite color also.
  • PRO
    Aubusson Home
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Forgot to respond to the island questions. It is 12' X 9 1/2'. Two book matched over-sized slabs. The attached picture is one that the installer asked me to take to show show his wife how big it really was. Fabulous guys from Apollo Granite and Marble.
  • mondaynight
    10 years ago
    Just a dream room, love it all, only thing missing is the people enjoying it!
  • PRO
    Virtus Design
    10 years ago
    Beautiful!
  • PRO
    Ruby Rose Studio, LLC
    10 years ago
    love the cabinet finish color! Great job!
  • awayisblue
    10 years ago
    Gorgeous!
  • diyher
    10 years ago
    I just noticed you are located in Wayne, PA :) I'm from the general area and know of the many horse farms in the Devon area.
  • mlou72
    10 years ago
    Love it!!
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    10 years ago
    It is Crazy Beautiful!! but, I don't love the lights over the island... the dogs are great!
  • PRO
    KBR Design & Build
    10 years ago
    Wow! I love the blue island. Contrasts wonderfully with the white cabinets
  • PRO
    Crown Construction Contracting
    10 years ago
    That is the most amazing island I have ever seen! Beautiful job on the entire space!
  • PRO
    Michael Lee, Inc
    10 years ago
    Wow! Wow! great new space, wow!
  • Brandi Nash Hicks
    10 years ago
    Love the lights and the island color,if you can't say anything nice S?D? Then you shouldn't say anything at all.Some people are so rude.
  • loreshep
    10 years ago
    Was wondering how you wipe down the center of the island?? Do you have LONG arms?? Love this alot!
  • PRO
    Aubusson Home
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    LOL! I can not say that i have not crawled across it but our friends gave us shuffleboard cues as a finishing gift! To this day they are still hanging in the pantry
  • Tangerine Wiggs
    10 years ago
    Wow, that looks absolutely fabulous! I love the two light fixtures above the island. I also love the contrasting colors of the stone countertops and island base. Gorgeous!
Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!