Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
belcanto

ceiling height and interior door height

belcanto
10 years ago
We are building a new cape cod style house and need to decide if we should do 10 foot ceilings with 8 foot interior doors or 9 foot ceilings with 8 foot interior doors! Please help. Thank you

Comments (9)

• PRO
    Dytecture
    10 years ago
    10 foot ceilings provide a more spacious feel.
    belcanto thanked Dytecture
  • belcanto
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you. How about interior door height??
  • mcbriec
    10 years ago
    Definitely go with 10-foot ceilings with 8-foot doors. 9-foot ceilings are totally useless and do not give you any sense of increased volume. I can't tell you how many homes tried to compromise with 9 feet and ended up not making the home feel more custom and spacious. If you do go with 9 feet, putting in tray ceilings will make that height feel more gracious.
    belcanto thanked mcbriec
  • belcanto
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you. We will definitely go with the 10 foot ceilings and 8 foot doors.
    One other question. What size front door? 8 foot also?
  • PRO
    Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
    10 years ago
    If you have the choice you should definitely go with the 10 foot ceilings with the 8 foot doors....The extra foot will make the space feel very elegant.
    belcanto thanked Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
  • coveredbridge
    9 years ago
    Is there a recommended standard for ceiling height and door height on the 2nd floor of a two story home? The downstairs ceiling plate is 10' with 8' foot doors. The builder is recommending 9' ceilings with 6/8' doors upstairs and I am concerned they will look too small?
  • PRO
    Boston Best Construction
    7 years ago

Im building my single family home and we have 10ft ceiling to, now we are debating on have 8 or 9ft door, should we have 9ft door because ceiling is 10?

• PRO
    The Everclean Company
    7 years ago

if you planning a built new house . please consider an architect. but you should at least 2ft gap in between ceiling and door