Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fsuwatson24

I need to add some character

fsuwatson24
10 years ago
Please help us add character to our new home. Any ideas are appreciated. I guess I'll start with paint color for main living areas

Comments (28)

• PRO
    essentials inside
    10 years ago
    Hi fsuwatson24! Congratulations on your new home! It is beautiful.

Could you upload a few more pictures?

Do you have furniture in the house yet? It is better to have furniture and some accessories chosen before deciding on a paint color.

~Lyvonne
  • fsuwatson24
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    We haven't moved in yet. I have some furniture, but trying to go for a clean look. I can share some pics of old house so u can see current furniture, but again. Some of it is going. Thanks for your help.
  • PRO
    essentials inside
    10 years ago
    Thanks for the extra pics!

Do you think you want to try bolder colors in the new house?

Do you happen to have a floor plan?

Lyvonne
  • PRO
    Angelina Vick
    10 years ago
    Beautiful home, congratulations.

I like the neutral color the walls are. It would make choosing colors to accent the space easier to change, however...if you want bolder color...walls are one of the least expensive ways to achieve that.

I a couple of well place mirrors enhance homes so much, when you choose a mirror, make sure what it's reflecting is interesting. A gorgeous mirror will be a dud if a boring reflection is in it.

Rugs are another way to bring in color...and warm spaces up.

Art is a great way to bring colors into a space...and then add accents to the art and tie the space together.

I'm an artist, feel free to check out my work. =)

http://angelina-vick.artistwebsites.com/index.html

I can imagine classy medallions doing nicely for you. A few suggestions.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    Congrats on your new home. How fun! I think paint is the easiest decision vs new furniture. But if you are painting first, I would choose a warm light to mid-tone neutral. Will work with everything and will warm the large spaces to not feel too cold. You can use any other colors in your fabrics, art and accesssories to keep a clean design.
  • PRO
    Angelina Vick
    10 years ago
    It's easier to paint when the house is empty! =)
  • fsuwatson24
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks for all the comments! This is great help. So, what paint colors? I like to see examples if what people are talking about!
  • 2dogssashatess
    10 years ago
    How about a nice potted fern on your large kitchen island?
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    After looking at your photos again, I like the warm neutral paint that is there on the walls. If you want to change the color, I would do something similar that is neutral and warm. You can do so much in adding furniture and accessories to your rooms and using other colors to bring your personality to your new home. For smaller rooms, try other color palettes that are comfortable for you. Rooms that open to each other have a smoother, cleaner flow if painted the same color.

If you want to punch the color up, a bit richer in tone, these are nice warm neutrals that are easy to live with. Work well with kitchen cabinets and flooring.

Try not to compare them to each other. Get sample swatches and place them on your walls, one at a time to get a feeling for what feels best. Sample paints painted on computer paper will help.
    Grége Avenue 991 Paint · More Info

Clay Beige OC-11 Paint · More Info

Grant Beige HC-83 · More Info

Coastal Fog AC-1 by Benjamin Moore · More Info
  • PRO
    Budget My Build
    10 years ago
    A nice bright color would help the room pop! Lowes has a nice tutorial on trying to find the right color for your space. http://www.lowes.com/ideas-how-tos/paint-stain-and-wallpaper/_/N-2zbki/npc

If you need any addition design ideas, you can check out our blog http://budgetmybuild.co/how-to/
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Remove things on mantel next to TV. Add panels to windows. Love the neutral color on walls. Use art for color plus very big area rugs.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Sorry didn't read well didn't know pic was old house. Keep mantels uncluttered. Do you want to stay with the dark burgundy ? Or update?
  • fsuwatson24
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Burgundy chair can go. I want something new and fresh. Really like the a coastal and traditional mix.
  • Geneviève
    10 years ago
    Beautiful home congratulations

living room

Benjamin Moore Arroyo Red · More Info

Welcome to Warmth by B Fein Interiors · More Info

bedroom
    Baltic Sea Paint · More Info

Eclectic Living Room · More Info
  • fsuwatson24
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Your trim work is beautiful. You aren't in Florida are you? How much would that run to do in main living areas? What exactly do you mean behind the stove area?
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    I love moldings too. So much design and architectural features can be created to enhance walls and ceilings. Love them!
  • PRO
    Transformations Custom Wood Design
    10 years ago
    No, I am in Ohio...but it would be nice to travel to Florida. : ) It is hard to gauge the cost by looking at the picture. Many different things go into cost such as size of molding, multiple layers, number of cuts, height of ceilings, etc. The entry I was talking about was the one that if you were standing looking at your stove just to your right there is an "opening" without a door and has drywall on the inside of the opening. We call those entries or entryways. Sorry if I confused you.
  • pcmom1
    10 years ago
    Character takes a while to come by, it can only be rushed so much! You have a beautiful space to start things off in. Walls are great already. Before you paint, bring in your furniture "keepers", start arranging rooms and see what is missing.

You will need area rugs to anchor your furniture groupings, and that would be a great start for selecting accent colors. Add a few new pieces of furniture to the home: great bar stools, art for walls, etc.

Have you started an idea book? Also, walk around great furniture stores and model homes to gain some inspiration. And be sure to have fun!
  • pcmom1
    10 years ago
    Big bold art for that kitchen wall, an interestng living room:
    Breakfast Room · More Info

Modern Farmhouse: Spring Parade of Homes House · More Info
  • fsuwatson24
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Ok! So what paint color??
  • robea
    10 years ago
    find some pottery and a rug that has pops of color in it then find your plants and paintings and wall colors to accent the colors you have choosen
  • porchnights
    10 years ago
    I love your bedding, could you say where you got it? If your looking for a paint color, I would suggest "Revere Pewter" from Benjamin Moore, a great mid tone grey that would work well with your floor and different fabrics.
  • nancyann0277a
    10 years ago
    Fsuwatson, go back and look at the four colour samples that LB interiors showed you. They look very nice.
  • fsuwatson24
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    What about bedroom?
  • fsuwatson24
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Also, this is my first post on Houzz and I am so thankful and impressed with the helpful suggestions!!! Thank you!
  • pcmom1
    10 years ago
    Do you have bedroom furniture you are keeping? Put bed on that wall we see. Get great bedding, throw for the bottom, a couple layers of pillows. Coordinate your windows treatments.

You have a great cove ceiling. It is too bad that the vent is up there! You could add paint to draw the eye up.
    Hotel Luxe · More Info
  • chrisari
    10 years ago
    Congratulations on your new beautiful home!!! I love your kitchen!