Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cs_kyle

Please help with my music room

cs_kyle
10 years ago
I am looking for some suggestions on how to make this room more inviting. It is in the lowest level of our 4 level split. I use it for practicing and also for teaching violin and guitar lessons. I like the colours and the rug. The shelf needs to stay, as it will be full of music books. However, the Hendrix poster and Eames lounger can go to another room if needed.
Thanks in advance.

Comments (42)

• Darzy
    10 years ago
    Then Hendrix poster and eames chair is great. All you need is a fabulous area rug you love with color, pattern and interest. Maybe some additional interesting art on the other walls and you're finished. :)
    Soar - 8' x 10' · More Info
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    I think all you need to do is switch out the ?Hendrix poster for some stunning art - a very large piece in striking colors, especially yellows, that have an upbeat feel to them. The Eames lounger may still work, however, bringing in an upholstered piece would probably add an element of coziness to a room that otherwise is filled with hard surfaces, other than the rug.
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    10 years ago
    Probably a bit of rearranging of your furniture would help. Your furniture is all backed up in corners and against the walls. It would be good to bring them into the room so make it less "arena". Also is there a way to put up shelves all around the room and make a feature of the many speakers you have? A mid line shelf around the room with all the speakers would be visually interesting (but as I am not a musician I may be committing a grave error here for placement of speakers!)Keep your Hendrix poster - and get some more - you could line up a number of posters along the walls (above the speakers) to fill in the room with character and inspiration! Try to find posters in a similar vein to the Hendrix (muted colour).
  • Angel 18432
    10 years ago
    It's a music room so I would put up more pictures/posters. Music inspired.
    How about some framed album covers. Do you have any "music" diplomas.
    Other music inspired objects.
  • Angel 18432
    10 years ago
    One more, go through some magazines and make a collage on one wall - in kind of a layered fashion - anything music inspired - instruments/people/ etc. Do it on a large piece of paper then you could laminate if you like it.
  • indianpatti
    10 years ago
    More music-inspired art ... go to Etsy.com; you could hang a few guitars on the wall
  • PRO
    Blondiesloft
    10 years ago
    I totally agree with keeping the Hendrix art!!!!! I also LOVE the rug Darzy has suggested, the color burst is fabulous. ASV Interiors has a wonderful idea on using more posters, as the art, and I also agree if you go bold with the rug, keep it muted. Indianpatti;s feature guitar wall is incredible!!
  • PRO
  • meljane
    10 years ago
    Hi, love your space for practising and teaching!
    As a professional musician and teacher myself, I wouldn't put too much on the walls and keep it down with the furnishing. Use the basics you personally need, with maybe one painting on the wall. It's much more inspiring to compose and practise with the bare essentials around you, leaving you more room to evolve in your music. Maybe that's just me, but think about what inspires you. ;-)
  • cs_kyle
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks for all of the ideas so far.
    A more colourful rug sounds interesting, and I'll get some more posters or art as well. I do have my diplomas to hang also.
    I would love to have my guitars on the walls, but living in Winnipeg, Manitoba, our climate changes so much between the summer and winter that I prefer to leave the guitars in their cases until I use them. It makes it easier to control the humidity.
  • Mjbmusiclover
    10 years ago
    Great music space. Mount the Hendrix art work on the wall, still under the light. Create cozy sections within the room don't frame the room with the furniture and amps, like it currently is get a lil color on the rug and actually use the rug.
  • Geneviève
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Lets begin with some drums
    Drum Set Silhouette Wall Decal w Erasable Chalkboard Finish · More Info

MUSIC INSTRUMENTS GUITAR DRUM NOTE WALL VINYL STICKER DECALS ART MURAL · More Info

Stanford Collection - Lateral File · More Info

Director Floor Lamp · More Info

Delhi-22 Rug, Black, 5'-0" x 8'-0" · More Info

Breanne Accent Chair - Red Multicolor - HN850S450W(3A) · More Info
  • Geneviève
    10 years ago
    Peace Sign Marquee Light · More Info
    ]
  • unwantedadvice
    10 years ago
    As long as you keep the Jimi Hendrix poster, you're golden!!!
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    I guess you can tell I was never a Jimi Hendrix fan lol! More like Joni Mitchell and Neil Young. If I could add just one more opinion, I find the idea of guitar and rock star posters kind of "themey". Of all the ideas posted, I like the beautiful rug that was first posted as the best way to warm this space. It should have some texture in it - I believe that's what's really missing.
  • melaniehakios
    10 years ago
    I love the Jimi Hendrix poster as well as the chair. A couple of comfy chairs are always great to have in case family members of your students want to attend a lesson.
    We have 3 music rooms in our house, as my son and I both give lessons here.
    This afternoon I asked my son what his dream music room would look like. He said, just an empty space. So it's just not me, hehe. However, it's quite clear he has my genes. ;-)
    I am uploading a painting a good friend/painter did at my son's live performance, singing his own compositions, accompanying himself on guitar. He only has one of the paintings on the wall, the first one posted. The other 3 I painted for the grand piano room, where I compose and give piano/vocal lessons. I also studied violin and guitar but now concentrate on piano and vocals. The 3rd room downstairs, with the e-piano and percussion instruments, I have made an African theme.
    cs_kyle, do you paint?
  • PRO
    Circle Goods Reclaimed
    10 years ago
    How could you not have Jimi on the wall if you are teaching guitar? Maybe consider some signs on the wall as art, also for inspiration look at images of Buddy Guy's bar in Chicago or The House of Blues. One thing I have seen as a wall decoration you might like is just hanging some old records on the wall in a cool pattern.
  • unwantedadvice
    10 years ago
    karemore55, whaaaaat!! Not a Hendrix fan, eh? Purple Haze is my all time favorite. I want the first 30 seconds as my ringtone! I like Neil, though, you're so lucky! LOL :))
  • Debp
    10 years ago
    Ah be some wall decals?
  • Debp
    10 years ago
    Couple more
  • unwantedadvice
    10 years ago
    Debbie, those would look great, especially the music notes. :)
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    Darzy's rug looks perfect in your room. I'd pull the chairs out of the corners. I think that's all you need.
  • PRO
    Mako Haus
    10 years ago
    Do you actually play any instruments? It would be nice to expose them in the corner as if that would be the stage. Then put chairs around for "spectators".
  • PRO
    Mako Haus
    10 years ago
    By the way you have really nice chairs out there.
  • meljane
    10 years ago
    I could see this painting in your room...,
    http://houzz.com/photos/3499831
  • meljane
    10 years ago
    or maybe this one ....
    http://houzz.com/photos/1251457
  • meljane
    10 years ago
  • cs_kyle
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Wow. I'm overwhelmed with all of the comments. I like all of the art that everyone is posting!
    I put a few other posters around so you can see what I'm working with, but I think they'll look better in my tv/waiting area outside of this room.
    I also had to add the two armless chairs to facilitate guitar playing.
    I rearranged some of the amps and chairs and took your advise on moving things away from the walls.
    Still not perfect, but getting there.
  • mveasey
    10 years ago
    I like the idea of the colourful rug. How about this poster?
  • unwantedadvice
    10 years ago
    Love that poster!!
  • studio10001
    10 years ago
    I like the Soundwave acoustic series from OFFECCT, but something as inexpensive as styro tiles could be useful. If you carry the charcoal around, ( 2 of) your posters will stand out more. Also think they will look better if you group a few together, rather than one per wall.
  • studio10001
    10 years ago
    Those are paintable and available through Amazon, if you are in the market. OFFECCT is higher end,w info on their site.
  • meljane
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Hi cs_kyle,
    Don't know if you need this, my son uses a white dry-erase board on the wall for theory lessons. This way he can save time by using the same complex exercises for different students in one day. (Hehe, musicians consume and need lots of time)
    http://houzz.com/photos/4627056
    (I have my students note directly in their homework book)

Also you may need a filing cabinet, not only for your music literature, music sheets and albums, but for student files, keeping track of what you give them. I auctioned a 17th/18th C beautifully carved antique chest, on stilts, to store all my music notation. Also have a mdf filing cupboard with lots of pull out drawers downstairs (ikea), one drawer for one student, plus two other cupboards full of music sheets and albums. It certainly does accumulate!
    Hopefully you have room in the waiting room for possible filing/storage.
    Another interesting poster I have, that may interest you, the story of jazz.
  • PRO
    Blondiesloft
    10 years ago
    Perfect!! I love the new furniture placement!!
  • Geneviève
    10 years ago
  • PRO
    Laqfoil Ltd.
    10 years ago
    Here's a suggestion (or two) for the old acoustic tile ceiling: http://blog.laqfoil.com/?p=741
  • cs_kyle
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Those ceiling tiles look great. Much better than what I have now.
  • PRO
    Hooplaroom
    10 years ago
    I love the room, I'd say that it just miss some colors. Stickers on the wall like suggested before is a good idea. You could also add a garland light on the shelve http://www.hooplaroom.com/Cap_Reinga_Garland_Light_p/cc-gl-1062.htm and/or a bean bag to create a relaxing atmosphere, less formal like this http://www.hooplaroom.com/Strawberry_Cone_Bean_Bag_p/wf-bb-1073.htm . Good luck with your project!
  • PRO
    Murals Your Way
    10 years ago
    We've make canvas, vinyl, and SmartStick (repositionable, no paste required) murals. With over 700,000 images I'm sure you'll find something to make your room rock.

http://www.muralsyourway.com
  • mfwolfe
    10 years ago
    What are the acoustics like? Looks like it could be a pretty bright room acoustically . I prefer less reverb in my lesson room esp for violin. Rug will help a lot.