Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sarahcpartin

Help! Decorating scheme in my guest bath is "Brothel Chic"

Sarah
10 years ago
Most of the fixtures, wall colors, etc. are pretty neutral in my new home. Stuff I can personalize as I desire, in my own time.

But this room cries out for an immediate overhaul. It seems to be a gaudy "Moulin Rouge" theme with layers of wallpaper and very thickly applied plaster texturing, painted with unattractive faux finishes. It is also very impractical--no place for soap or a towel.

What suggestions do you make? I have not done many DIY projects in the past so am at a loss as to how to get rid of this awful variation in the wall. Do I just need to keep the texturing and texture over the wallpaper parts then paint it a flat color? Or do I have to somehow remove all of that? Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Comments (15)

• Sarah
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks for your response ASVInteriors! I will have to look for that thread you speak of!

Well I am honestly not sure what is behind it...could check with my husband. The house was build in 2002. But the texturing is actually protruding further than the wallpaper. It seems they wallpapered the whole thing then textured some, leaving certain areas to "peep through". So I was wondering if I could just continue the texturing to cover the wall paper then paint it all.

Does this seem feasible? If so, any idea what products would be best?

Thanks again! Sarah
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    10 years ago
    HI sarahThis is the thread https://www.houzz.com/discussions/random-craziness-dsvw-vd~689519 us know what you find behind the wall? After all, we are approaching halloween ;-)
  • kadodi
    10 years ago
    I can't believe someone would do this... Crazy!! I would try my best to remove. Start with the wallpaper that is visible. Try and scrape off the plaster.
  • apple_pie_order
    10 years ago
    I'd pick an area with the wallpaper to try to put a putty knife or single-bladed wallpaper scraper under the texturing. See if the plaster pops off or is stuck tight. If it does not come off, try wetting a small area the size of your hand and keeping it wet for a day to see if comes off as a glop. Get a paper towel soaking wet, slap it on the wall, and tape a plastic bag over it. Wait 12-24 hours.

You might get an estimate for professional plastering over it with a smooth finish this time.
  • Sasha Retana
    10 years ago
    You might have to pay someone to scrape or sand the plaster off. However, I kinda dig that mirror, even if the rest is crazy
  • User
    10 years ago
    Get a professional plasterer. The smoother the better to not harbour germs.
  • PRO
    Supreme Floor Company
    10 years ago
    You poor thing.. did some one sctually like that..? Agree with chook chook2
  • penelopesdreamydesigns
    10 years ago
    I love the mirror! : )
  • Lori
    10 years ago
    Eeewwww lol but I would keep the fixtures, I think they are unique and kind of whimsical or magical. That being said the textured walls have to go along with the floral print. I suggest a nice clean, smooth finish on the walls. What type of style are you leaning towards?
  • Lori
    10 years ago
    You may like the fixtures/mirror once the walls get a makeover and this would be helpful of money is a concern
  • Lori
    10 years ago
    If... I can type better than I text lol
  • Lori
    10 years ago
    However I would move the mirror up a tad if there is room. It seems too close to the faucet. Okay I'm done with suggestions lol best of luck
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    10 years ago
    Brothel Chic is one step up from French Country Cowgirl On Crack.... What made you buy it? I think it breaks the chic monotony of what we see every day.
  • nwduck
    10 years ago
    I believe I saw this bathroom in a Paris bistro once. Since the house is so new, I'd remove the wallpaper (as DIY sites suggest). See what kind of base wall/texture was there originally. It may actually be something kind of normal. I'd contact a good drywall finisher to sand off the outstanding texture, and spray all the walls with new finish texture. Then you can paint.