Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lcgordon

Help Styling Entry Console

lcgordon
10 years ago
I'm blocked as to how to style my navy entry console. One bright lamp? Two for symetry? Other ideas? All suggestions appreciated!

Comments (44)

• Geneviève
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    That console is very nice but a bit too wide for there
    Traditional Entry · More Info

Try using a black framed picture or mirror to elongate the look
    Scarlett Wall-Mount Jewelry Mirror, Black · More Info

Possini Euro Design Black Bronze Floating Squares Table Lamp · More Info

Seraphina Vases 19" & 23" · More Info
    lcgordon thanked Geneviève
  • PRO
    Stanton Designs-online design services
    10 years ago
    The scale of your accessories is off. The picture is too small to hang there, but an alternative would be to rest the picture against the wall on the table and hang a larger piece of art or decorative mirror there, think layering.
    lcgordon thanked Stanton Designs-online design services
  • Darzy
    10 years ago
    Can you schooch over the console to the left a couple of inches? Center with the wall and the door frame. I actually like the oversized vase and print there. But, since the print is a tad small, try lowering a bit and hang asymmetrically right of the vase. Also, the ottomans seem tight there. Try just one in the middle, or better yet, how about trying the orange, fun shaped stool I see in the background. Could you humor me and give it a go and post the picture? :)
    lcgordon thanked Darzy
  • lcgordon
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks Genevieve, Stanton and Darzy for the helpful advice and pinpointing the problems. I'm going to play with what I have and will post re-takes. If anyone else has photos for ideas, I'd love to see.
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    I like what you have in the first pic, except for the art. It is too small and too high. Would you need/like a mirror hung TALL there? Add a small tray for keys and you are set!
    lcgordon thanked abbyjean
  • PRO
    Suzan J Designs Decorating Den Interiors
    10 years ago
    I think the art has to be more bold in color as well as bigger. Rectangular, maybe a dark frame, and bring some coral (like the stool in the background) into the entryway - in the art and/or in the accessories. Keep it simple - less is more. I also don't care for the burgundy color in the rug. The rug can be traditional in style, but more modern colors would work better. Agree with others to move the table a bit to the left. Good luck!
    lcgordon thanked Suzan J Designs Decorating Den Interiors
  • lcgordon
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    OK, I played with it just to see how Darzy and Stanton's suggestions could work. I didn't have any tall branches to put in the vase so . . . i agree the art is probably wrong (thanks abbyjean and Suzan). It's just that it's my fav (a henry moore) so I wanted to hang it in a prominent spot!
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    If you love the art, try a darker frame - paint this one? As Stanton suggested, try layering. Put a rectangular mirror, or another piece of art (could be another sketch, could be something abstract, or you could paint a canvas in a couple colors - stripe or zigzag -could be two shades of beige/tan), leaning, right where the Henry Moore piece is. It should be about the same width as the Moore piece (could be a little wider), and the height of the rectangular piece should come to about where the top stair is before the staircase turns - looks like 35 - 40" from the top of the console? Does the blue ottoman open? If so, put a coral throw in there, partially hanging out. The coral ottoman is just a little too tall.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    And I meant to add - then layer the Moore piece over the rectangular piece - not centered directly, but a little to either the left or right.
  • lcgordon
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    i like the idea of a rectangular mirror and a coral accent, Suzan. I am getting a clearer picture!
  • lcgordon
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Ok, if you find a representative picture, Suzan, I'd love to see it. Thanks so much!
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    Put what you had back in the vase......now that the pic is lowered, I would love to see it now. I think lowered will work as the branches will give the height to the wall instead of the art. Oh, and I was fine with the two stools underneath, too.
    lcgordon thanked abbyjean
  • Darzy
    10 years ago
    Darn, the coral ottoman is too tall. But, I like your second photo with one ottoman underneath. If the tall sticks were in the vase (spread out a bit) I think it would look great. I'm not sold that your art is too small there.
    lcgordon thanked Darzy
  • User
    10 years ago
    With the exception of hanging the art a little lower I like your very first set up the best
    lcgordon thanked User
  • User
    10 years ago
    I think layering was already suggested - I would consider a large mirror and propping your art against it like this photo. I still like the vase and stools
    http://houzz.com/photos/76413
    lcgordon thanked User
  • Geneviève
    10 years ago
    The coral stool looks the best under the table ,but the art is too faded and the clear glass vase isn't doing much you need colour and boldness
    IMAX Abner Cutwork Vase · More Info
    lcgordon thanked Geneviève
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    The photo that sam0705 posted with layering is the right idea. I think instead of branches, you should try sticks - something straight might do the trick. The coral stool is the right color but wrong size, so the least expensive way to get the right visual would be to add a throw inside the blue ottoman; you could have the lid either leaning on the side of the ottoman, or laying on top if you want. And if the mirror and art is towards the right side of the console, the ottoman should be more towards the left. Does this help?
  • Darzy
    10 years ago
    This photo has the asymmetrical look with the art but the vase on the floor. This is the look, except the vase would be on the console. I like it..
    Summer 2013 · More Info
    lcgordon thanked Darzy
  • anne dee
    10 years ago
    I like Darzy's solution but here is another idea using a round mirror
    Villa Vera Renovation · More Info
    lcgordon thanked anne dee
  • penelope007
    10 years ago
    Actually I like what you have there. Altho the picture is small - I like it a lot. You could put a black holder for some candles underneath it on the table - or something decorative and black there. And lower it just a tad. The height of the vase to the left with the sticks in it seems fine to me. I think the ottomans look good - I would leave them there.
    lcgordon thanked penelope007
  • Ann
    10 years ago
    I agree with Darzy - might be good now with one ottoman and art lowered. Just bring the sticks back.
    lcgordon thanked Ann
  • lcgordon
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks for the image elpelicano. Now I'm going to try turning the console another way. You've all been very helpful! I still feel I want an interesting, tall lamp . . .
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    If you're looking for a taller table lamp, check out our Mecox Shagreen one. It will compliment the bolder colors well and add some texture. Here is the link: http://bit.ly/HrYwcl

It's a gorgeous lamp and definitely makes a statement!
    lcgordon thanked User
  • PRO
    Lydia (Kazza Design)
    10 years ago
    The painting has a simple beauty to it. I actually like where it was hung in your original picture. It's not too small at all.....it's perfect for that wall. I also like the two ottomans. What I don't like is the vase with the branches. I suggest replacing it with a tall lamp like you mentioned. The lamp should compliment the neutral colours of the painting so it doesn't compete with it. Add some blue scented candles to tie in the ottomans. This is all from Pier I Imports.
    lcgordon thanked Lydia (Kazza Design)
  • PRO
    Lydia (Kazza Design)
    10 years ago
    This lamp would also compliment the painting. Also from Pier I Imports.
  • sunnydrew
    10 years ago
    From your first picture-I like your table, but not the stools. Also put the tall twig display on the right where the ceiling is higher. Lower the picture so it is connected to it all. Asymmetrical is ok.
    lcgordon thanked sunnydrew
  • penelope007
    10 years ago
    Actually I think if you just put the picture on the left side and the glass vase with the decorative twigs on the right side all will be fine. And yes, I agree the rug should go. Perhaps a more neutral rug homespun looking - maybe Pottery Barn. BTW, I think the whole look is lost without the striped ottomans.
  • PRO
    Article
    10 years ago
    For styling ideas and inspiration have a look at my "Entry Ways" board on Pinterest

http://www.pinterest.com/bryghtcom/entry-ways/
    lcgordon thanked Article
  • penelope007
    10 years ago
    Oh just checked again and I think the (above) black lamp with geometic shapes would be good somewhere in your home - it compliments your taste.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    I like what you've started. Just move the art to the right and lower. I would move the two ottomans on the staircase wall. It's a bit too bare there. Add a few items to the console table top. Nothing under the console table. Would like to see a pic if it may work.
    lcgordon thanked LB Interiors
  • lcgordon
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I am going to try your suggestions, LB, lk, lydia and totally. Will post more pics. And bryght, your input is fantastic! OK, now I'm greedy and will take rug suggestions!!!!
  • lcgordon
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Wow, Mark! I'm not sure I'm that brave. U have great taste! Wish I could go there!
  • Mark
    10 years ago
    Maybe something with less color but still has a punch to it. http://www.dealsdirect.com.au/damask-border-design-rug-blue-navy-230x160cm/
    lcgordon thanked Mark
  • User
    10 years ago
    I really love your last photo, except I personally would lower it a tad and move it over to the right. Would love to see the rest of your home!
    lcgordon thanked User
  • User
    10 years ago
    Sorry, I meant lower and move to the right the art.
    lcgordon thanked User
  • penelope007
    10 years ago
    Look at kilims - maybe Pottery Barn. Sorry, I don't know how to transfer the pictures to this site for you. they can be colorful, touches of blue, orange, etc.
  • PRO
    Lydia (Kazza Design)
    10 years ago
    I like the rug you already have - it doesn't need to match the ottomans. The rug gives the space an eclectic vibe (aka unexpected).
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    10 years ago
    Cute things…turn the console against the stairs. Leave the pix. Lamp on the corner end of the console.
    lcgordon thanked JudyG Designs
  • penelope007
    10 years ago
    Very nice iamjudy - you did a great job here. Love the one with the lamp, etc. Beautiful.
  • lcgordon
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Viyet, I actuall LOVE that lamp but it's beyond my budget but I LOVE!!!! And elpelicano, the visuals really help. I
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    Rugs

Flip this multi rug facing right.
    Loloi Willow WW-04 7'10" x 11' Blue Rug · More Info

Loloi Willow WW-04 7'10" x 11' Ivory Rug · More Info

Others
    Rugs · More Info

Safavieh Courtyard CY4037B Area Rug Natural Brown/Blue · More Info
    lcgordon thanked LB Interiors