Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lorispad

Would an iron gate or a wood gate look better ?

lorispad
10 years ago
I need to get an iron or wood gate because you can walk right down our driveway into our backyard. It's a 1950s ranch house in southern California. Inside is decorated in kilim rugs, dark wood beams, transitional not modern at all. I'm not sure where to start the gate for one. Also if iron or wood would look better and most importantly what style, color , height, etc. of each. My car would be parked inside the gate and i'd like to be able to get out fairly quickly, don't know where speed of the gate comes in.
Thanks for any ideas. Houzz people are amazing!

Comments (10)

• mousemaker
    10 years ago
    i'm not really clear on why you need a gate? it will not prevent intruders, although it might slow them up a little. We've had a fence up for years and it gets hopped over easily. Not sure if you really want a gate in the drive or just between the house and garage? I think it would be an expense you don't need :)
  • lorispad
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    A gate in the driveway.Almost everyone in this good neighborhood has them- it is LA afterall
  • mousemaker
    10 years ago
    I guess it's different here. I was just trying to help. It would be sad if you ended up feeling more caged in than keeping people out. A gate might look nice though; and probably an iron one would hold up better. less maintenance :)
    lorispad thanked mousemaker
  • Dea
    10 years ago
    I agree with mousemaker. A wrought-iron gate, not too elaborate, that you could see through, would give you the effect without blocking the space. Also, it's easier to put an electric opener on the wrought-iron gates than on the wooden ones, and you don't have to replace them as often as wood. I know it doesn't rain much in L.A., but with wrought-iron, you can open your gate remotely when you need to, and you don't get that Santa Anna sand piled against it.
    lorispad thanked Dea
  • lorispad
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    ooh, i wish i could see a pic of what you mean sarah
    good to know dea that iron is easier to make work electronically
    some neighbors are suggesting plastic because it doesn't rot or anything but i have a problem with that i think aesthetically?
  • PRO
    Linda
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Aluminum gates are lightweight and there's quite a few available with matching fence. Wood gates are heavy and many sag within a short time after being installed
    lorispad thanked Linda
  • Dea
    10 years ago
    And aluminum can be powder-coated to look just like wrought-iron. It's used a lot here on the Texas Gulf Coast, where rust is a real problem.
  • PRO
    Architectural Fabricators
    10 years ago
    Wrought iron galvanized steel gate would be the answer. This way you have the strength of steel with rust protection (galvanized). We do gates on houses like this all the time. Gates are a great deterrent for crime, yes you can jump them etc., but a criminal will pick off the easiest prey. For ideas you can look at my website www.architecturalfabricators.com, we are in Texas so we could not do the job for you, but it will give you some ideas.
  • PRO
    Mitech Joinery LTD UK
    9 years ago
    Points to take into consideration,

Properly made and swung gates shouldn't move much at all. Future proof them with adjustable hinges to give you the flexibility for a little movement if any .

Remember passer buys won't pinch it if they carnt see it !!

Take your surrounding in play when choosing which material . An organic environment often lends itself to wood.

Automating wooden gates is extremely easy so no worries there!!

All the best

R