Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jlwelter83

Form or no form?

jlwelter83
10 years ago
Did you use a form to create this sink? If so, from where?

Some of the pricing for forms is a bit outrageous.

Thanks!
Madison concrete sink by VC Studio Inc. · More Info

Comments (5)

• PRO
    VC Studio Inc.
    10 years ago
    Hello jlwelter83,

This sink design is unique to VC Studio Inc.

This mold was created in-house. We have two different lines of concrete sink designs that were all created in our shop. We are presently not selling our molds commercially but that may change.

There are a few vendors that sell to our industry. We refer to these as stock molds. They are available to anyone in the industry. Some of the mass produced molds that have come out have very nice proportions but most of them have been more chunky and utilitarian in appearance.

It takes quite an investment in time and materials to design a new sink mold, even a simple shape. If you knew what is involved you would probably not think the cost was outrageous at all.

If you would like to order a concrete sink or just have questions please feel free to post back here or contact me directly.

Regards,
    Vincent Cathcart
    VC Studio Inc.
    vince@vcstudioinc.com
    jlwelter83 thanked VC Studio Inc.
  • jlwelter83
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks much Vincent for the timely and explanatory response. I am looking at this from a DIY approach and attempting to remain as cost efficient as possible. From what limited research and searching Ive done, it seems as there is a large gap in the concrete sink/countertop market. Either custom and higher end or the pre-fab stock molds that you mentioned.

The more complex molds are indeed more expensive and thinking further I can now understand the design costs associated with such. Again, trying to take the DIY approach (and frugal!) I can't bring myself to write a check for that amount.

Gathering ideas and going to try and remain on the path I started down. I again appreciate the response. Should I decide to splurge I will take a look at what VC Sudio's has to offer.

The two countertops Ive nearly completed thus far are great, Im hooked!
  • PRO
    VC Studio Inc.
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    For a quick and cheep DIY approach you can make a single use sink mold from particle board. Use hot glue to tack the pieces together from the inside of the mold.
    Use polyester resin to coat it. You can pick up regular fiberglass bonding resin at any hardware store.
    *Safety Note: Wear eye protection when working with resins. The MEKP catalyst can cause blindness quickly if it gets in your eye. Keep eye wash handy. Wear doubled up nitrile gloves. Use adequate ventilation and or a proper respirator.
    Make sure you have complete coverage or the particle board will blow up like a dry sponge getting wet. You can thin the first coat with a little acetone. Apply with a chip brush unless you have the experience and equipment to spray. Do a few coats as you will need to sand back the surface to smooth it our. If you sand through the resin you will need to recoat.
    Sand to at least 220. Wax with three to five coats of caranuaba wax. Use melamine or laminate to cast on. A local cabinet supply shop should have water resistant melamine. Tack the sink mold to the casting surface. Wax it all once or twice. Run a bead of caulk around the sink mould and along the edges where the side rails meet the casting surface. Use a fillet tool to create a clean radius in the caulk. Let the caulk dry overnight and then remove the excess.
    Do some research to create a from scratch mix and it will be far superior to any bag mix from the hardware store whether you go for GFRC or wet cast.

Have fun :-)
    Vincent Cathcart
    VC Studio Inc.
    vince@vcstudioinc.com
  • PRO
    HEGER ARCHITECTS
    10 years ago
    Expert is known by his pride in his work. Good job.
  • PRO
    VC Studio Inc.
    10 years ago
    Thank you Milan!
    I look forward to working with you again in the future.