Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edubya

How do you display holiday cards you receive?

Emily H
10 years ago
What do you do with the holiday cards you receive from friends and family this time of year? Any fun projects or displays you have come up with?

Show us! (Photos encouraged)

christmas crafts · More Info

Comments (64)

• 574steele
    10 years ago
    cdrdesign, I'm not sure about the site as I've never gone there, but here's the address I send the cards to: St. Jude's Ranch for Children, 100 St. Jude's Street, PO Box 60100, Boulder City, NV 89006-0100
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    Okay, that is the address on the website. They give some further instructions on there. For example, there are some brand cards they cannot accept. Such a great idea!
  • Sharon Cameron
    10 years ago
    A friend and I have sent the same Christmas card to each other for years. It's getting a bit tatty but long live the tradition!
  • User
    10 years ago
    I use the fronts of my favorite last years Christmas cards as name tags and decoration on my presents. My grandmother did it and her gifts were always beautifully wrapped.
  • Teresa S-j
    10 years ago
    I hang my cards like my grandmother did - along the edge of the ceiling in our dining room. I started putting the photo cards on the closet door and left them up throughout the year. For a few years, I've added the new photo cards alongside the old ones, which makes it fun to see how kids grow year by year--but lately, I've had to remove some to fit the new ones in.
  • Snaggy
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Everywhere .... so I don't have to dust !
  • maverickcowgirl
    10 years ago
    I have a branch christmas tree in the kids play room on top of some shelves and place the cards under it to replicate presents. With all the bright colours and different shapes and sizes nice and it dresses up the base of the tree. I often find the kids looking at/ reading the cards too
  • Jessica Kerry Mack
    10 years ago
    In different homes I've done it different ways. One place had mini blinds on the large front window and we'd slot the cards onto the blinds. Another we used a piece of string from one end of the drapery rod to the other and hung the cards on those. Another place had swinging doors with slats in them where we hung the cards. I don't have any photos right now, but will try to find a few.
  • sunnydrew
    10 years ago
    I was just thinking about how to display the cards we have received. I bought some UNICEF cards and sent them out plus all the ones I have bought on sale from previous years. I think it a very thoughtful gesture to send a card to someone I don't see often enough. It does not take so much time to write a personal greeting on a pre-printed card and hand address it. I would never use a mail merge to address. I love to get cards in the mail ( instead of the usual junk) I am trying to make an effort to write notes more and mail things ( like to my mom) rather than just call or email.
    My sister died last year on the 23rd of December. I am trying to stay busy and really enjoy Christmas this year, which is hard. She loved Christmas- here is a little greeting for all of you. This was a gift from my sister and is quirky just like her. It makes me smile to just look at it.
  • Teresa S-j
    10 years ago
    I'm so sorry for your loss, sunnydrew. I lost my sister-in-law last year on 12/24. I love her gift to you - it makes me smile.
  • sunnydrew
    10 years ago
    Thanks for sharing too, Teresa - I hope it makes everyone smile.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    Sorry for your losses, sunny drew and teresa. I love the quirkiness of the mouse and that it is a reminder of your sister for you.
  • KD
    10 years ago
    @sunnydrew That's adorable. I'm sorry for your loss.

It is nice to be able to incorporate the memory of a loved one into the holiday when you're missing them, but in a cheerful/fun way so you're prompted to remember good times. It doesn't make the loss easier, but at least with my husband I feel like it helps keep his memory alive in meaningful ways because the stories get shared, maybe someone else gets a new tradition if they like an idea, that sort of thing.

For cards, I don't hand address just because what I've read is that the post office much prefers computer done addresses. I try to set it up so that the envelope still looks pretty, though - if the cards don't come with decorative envelopes then I make sure to buy envelope seal stickers and often I'll add clip art to the address printing so that it brightens up the envelope. (I try to make the clip art tie in to the card design.) The cards themselves I always add a handwritten note, though, even if it's just adding 'happy new year!' and signing. I'm also from a family that firmly believes in holiday letters, so I send one of those to family and close friends, but I leave room when I format that so I can put a note there also - I figure the cards might get displayed but the letters usually don't, so I can put more personal sentiments on the letter that they may prefer not to have for everyone who visits to read. (Like asking about someone's health.)
  • 2dogssashatess
    10 years ago
    Although in some ways I think Christmas cards are a waste of money ( ie if you get super expensive ones), I think sending handmade or cards you didn't pay and arm and leg for is a lovely idea. I try to buy lovely cards in the post Christmas sales so they can be used for the following Christmas. I also find one can get lovely new cards at yard sales. Our cards end up on the mantelpiece and when we exhaust the space there they go on the top of the piano
  • stephmal
    10 years ago
    I wrap a door with ribbon, like a present, then attach the cards with clothes pins.
  • sunnydrew
    10 years ago
    stephmal- great idea. Looks very festive.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Sunnydrew and Teresa S-J, I'd pass the chocolate milk (stiff drink and me running power tools, nuh-uh) and give you a hug, my father passed last year an hour after Christmas (12-26). Going to be a lonely year... Condolences.

A lot of great ideas on here on how to display the cards!
  • sunnydrew
    10 years ago
    I have a novel idea of how to hang my cards. I will do it tomorrow and then post pics.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Sorry to all of you who lost a loved one this year. I'm sure you have kept some of their cards and letters.
  • johnhannahstevenson
    10 years ago
    I displayed my Christmas cards this year by making them like Christmas decorations on an old tree
    It became the "the card tree" and we had it at the entry
    Very affected and you could see the messages on the inside of the cards easily
  • sguest35
    10 years ago
    I don't receive many cards these days, but I do save the best ones from my sister and aunt who make their own cards. Very creative, personal and beautiful craftsmanship. I tried something new this year- displaying them on the hutch.
  • sguest35
    10 years ago
    See how beautiful!
  • lololovesrayray
    10 years ago
    This year I punched a hole, tied a string and hung them from the tree.
  • Kirsten Heffron
    10 years ago
    This year we are sticking them in the garland on the mantel.
  • merrigay
    10 years ago
    I love, double love and adore completely all these ideas. As a teen I decided to keep my favorite Christmas card of the year. I'm so glad I did as so many of my friends and relatives are gone plus I don't get as many cards as I used to. I have quite a few now, saved thru the years. Plus I began to save any that were photo cards and sometimes couldn't decide on just one. I've always just taped them to the door altho' one year I made 3 cardboard wreaths from large pizza boxes, overlapped the cards and stapled them to the cardboard. Thank you for all these ideas for next year.
  • decoratinglady5
    10 years ago
    Some of the real pretty ones I put in the tree..had lots of compliments on that over the years.
  • rpelkey
    10 years ago
    I punch a hole in the top left corner and hang them on a length of garland with ornament hooks on our picture ledge. So pretty!
  • soozmacrae
    10 years ago
    I used to put them up with blue tak along beside the bannister of the stairs. This year I went and bought a card holder, much better. My mother in law keeps the really nice ones for cutting around and using them as gift tags on presents the following year. Think i'll do the same.
  • figosmom
    10 years ago
    I don't get or give as many anymore but use this folded pages book on a tray with fresh greens to hold them.
  • recycledliving
    10 years ago
    http://www.pier1.com/Window-Clip-Frame---White/2500392,default,pd.html?cgid=wall-frames

I have this frame hanging in my foyer, and I use it to display the greeting cards that we receive year round.
  • PRO
    Nielsen Haus Designs
    10 years ago
    I have a curved bulkhead separating my kitchen from my living area in my late 60's mobile home. I drape a garland with staples and alternate cards with ornaments. This year I don't have a string of white lights and there are some spaces because we continue to receive cards after the New Year. It's the first thing one sees when walking through the front door.
  • Barbara Larson
    10 years ago
    I have indoor shutters on my living room and dining room windows, so all cards go through the slats on the shutters so we can see them every time we pass through the rooms.
  • fivefongs
    10 years ago
    We receive ALOT of photo holiday cards. The cards we receive stay up all year long! With simple push pins and cork tiles, it's a cheery reminder of our friends near and far. Friends who visit throughout the year like to look at our holiday photo card wall.
  • PRO
    John James O'Brien | Inspired Living, by design
    10 years ago
    Here's a look at some via my iPhone. eCards are much more typical with a wired international network, but the real thing is a pleasure.
  • Kathy Bidler
    10 years ago
    I don't really like the louvered doors to the study, but they're handy at Christmas.
  • ymthomas
    10 years ago
    We hang them on the guest bathroom door... On ribbons with paper clips which came from a Martha Stewart idea book. The extra ones are stuck on with blu tack.
  • picturejunkie
    10 years ago
    We swag as well, but do it across the wall above our couch. We use ribbon and tiny clothespins from the craft store or tie cards on with ribbon (after making a hole punch in the corner). My toddler son enjoys looking at them and it does not take any surface space on the furniture. Best of all, it makes me smile when I walk in the door.
  • watchguyy
    10 years ago
    I have louvered doors between the living room and den and we stick the back of the card through the louver and the pretty from of the card hangs out….always looks great!
  • matt621hew
    10 years ago
    We have always taped them to the inside of our glass and wood front door. That way when the door is closed you can see them all from the living room and every body can read them as they please. Plus this puts them all on display, with the earliest ones to arrive getting the top place across the window area and the last to arrive getting the bottom area !!
  • jeniecegoellner
    10 years ago
    I put them on the blank wall that is at the top of the stairs going from my front entrance. That way I walk into my house everday seeing the cards.
  • sandyhamilton123
    10 years ago
    Pardon the light switch! This year I used mixed green garland and 3m strip hooks to ale it into a wreath.
  • dperdue
    10 years ago
    Attach them to the entryway mirror along sides of the tree.
  • bsgriffin
    10 years ago
    I still enjoy the giving and receiving of Christmas cards, to display mine I tie a ribbon to the curtain rod and hang the cards. I notice guests like to look at them as much as I do.
  • clearlykate
    10 years ago
    Clipped cards to a crib mattress spring that was just sitting in our garage.
  • PRO
    Timberlane Shutters
    10 years ago
    Take an old shutter and hang your cards on that!

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/390335492675216393/
  • Teresa Rutherford
    10 years ago
    on an old window grate over the fireplace
  • colleen2424
    10 years ago
    I use sticky tack and put them on the walls to add festive colors.
  • Vicki Harris-Cagle
    10 years ago
    We display our Christmas cards on a swivel stand that was formerly used to display chips and snacks in a retail store. The kids love being able to spin it to see to see all the cards.
  • angelikadorsch
    10 years ago
    I have a door to the garage in my long hallway where I've added a ribbon with a weight on the end, then I clip my cards with mini cloth pins to it for display.
  • Patricia Dowd
    10 years ago
    I paperclip mine to the bamboo matchstick blinds covering the 4 French doors to my patio. I rarely raise the blinds all the way up because of the hot Las Vegas sun, so it's no problem! They really make the room look so Christmassy!
Sponsored
River Mill Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Delaware County's Customer Focused General Contractor