Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maryanneshio9

Would you use Carrerra Marble or Bianco Marble as a kitchen countertop

maryanneshio9
10 years ago
I love the grey/charcoal veiny look of Carrerra Marble, but I've heard it's not very good as a kitchen countertop. What would you recommend? Would it be wise to get? Or should I opt for a granite instead? Thanks!

Comments (14)

• sbrustein
    10 years ago
    I just put honed carrera in my family bathroom. It's not used much since my daughter is out of illegal and lives on her own and my son is away at school.Still, when they are home I find the marble hard to keep clean just from normal use. I know that polished is a better idea in areas likely to have stains, but honestly, I just don't see how a white marble could be maintained in a kitchen. There are white granites and quartzite that are similar in feeling and much easier to maintain.
    maryanneshio9 thanked sbrustein
  • sbrustein
    10 years ago
    That should be out of college not illegal*
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    10 years ago
    From friends who are patissieres, they tell me the best use for carrara marble is for pastries. It keeps the dough cool. So perhaps a compromise might be to insert a block somewhere in your kitchen that is not in the main work zone
    maryanneshio9 thanked ASVInteriors
  • PRO
    Collier Builders
    10 years ago
    I would not want marble. It's pretty fragile for a kitchen area. Try a white granite.
    maryanneshio9 thanked Collier Builders
  • PRO
    Collier Builders
    10 years ago
    I don't know if its appropriate to call granite common or boring. I guess if you have a calm house and don't mind maintenance then Marble is fine. I have not used it in any of our projects so I no personal experience with it.
  • 3staceyk
    9 years ago
    What white granites do you use?
  • PRO
    Country Floors
    9 years ago
    There are not any granites that are white, without salt and pepper pavement stone look. Therefore, white marble is the only option for a soft elegant look. Using white marble for countertop depends on your lifestyle. If you have a big family and want perfect kitchen, get granite. If you don't mind occasional light wear and aging, white marble will be fine.
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    9 years ago
    I agree with Belle I have seen carrara marble in counters in Europe that are very old and still look awesome and I agree that granite is done to death in every little cheap condo you see it . If you wipe up spills right away on marble there is no staining and most people i know don't leave a spill sitting on the counter for hours.
  • PRO
    User
    9 years ago
  • hopewintner
    9 years ago
    I love my kitchen with Carrara Marble counters they are honed and have a wonderful feel and not problems!
  • ycity
    9 years ago
    I love, love carerra but I was afraid to put it in my kitchen. I opted for honed absolute black granite, was also considering Caesarstone.
  • PRO
    Imagine Surfaces
    8 years ago

We have lots of customers that use marble in their kitchens, but it definitely isn't for everybody. Here is a photo of a kitchen after about 1 year of use with the etch/water marks on the surface. And where it has gotten beat up around the sink. For more information, you can read a blog I just posted that features this particular kitchen: Marble Durability

• kheatherton
    8 years ago
    I hav Carrerra in my bathroom!! I hate it! Much too hard to clean!