Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeannie_nguyen

Single level VS Multi-level homes

Jeannie Nguyen
10 years ago
Which do you prefer?

Vote for your choice and tell us what type of home you have!
Photos are welcomed too. :)
Neither - tell us what you have, below!

Comments (91)

• marshee
    10 years ago
    tri level
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    10 years ago
    I like an open main floor. I also yearned for a balcony with a gorgeous staircase and a private guest suite.
  • Curt D'Onofrio
    10 years ago
    I grew up in 3 level home. Although i liked it...years have gone by...and well, We love our single level. As a plus, the roof isn't that high. Can do my own roof repairs. On that tri level house i wouldn't even thought about doing it. Yikes!!!
  • 123elw
    10 years ago
    I grew up in a 1 1/2-story house with a basement. I do like the separation of public vs. bedrooms that a multistory home provides, as well as someone noted above, the ability to leave the second story windows open at night.
    I've lived in city apartments all my adult life, so that means one floor living, though in one case lots of stairs (5 flights) to get to it. Being older, I moved to an elevator building in anticipation of a time I wouldn't be able to do stairs - my friends were mostly all already crippled with arthritis and couldn't visit me in my 5th floor walk-up.
  • armipeg
    10 years ago
    I voted for single level for 2 reasons.
    1- Earthquakes (I live in California)
    2- When I get old I don't want to choose which level I'd prefer to be stuck in.
  • januarisun
    10 years ago
    I grew up in the NE where most homes were 2 levels, but always admired ranch style homes. When I move out, my first two rentals, were 2 story homes, that I shared with a roommate. When I rented a one bedroom condo, was when I got my first taste of one story living. That's when I knew that I would love living in a ranch style house, as well.

When I moved to S. FL, one of the things I loved were all of the ranch style homes. An added bonus was that, they were all mid century, ranches. My favorite! :)
  • garryeoff
    10 years ago
    My daughter lived in a two-story house. Very nice home, but she said she felt disconnected from her son....not as apt to go upstairs to check on him...I know, it's all about choices:) I have always lived in a single story home. My wife of 37 yrs is disabled and in wheelchair, so a single story is a must. I understand the land issues throughout our great country, so also understand the need to have multi-storied homes. I say, go to where your heart is....or your needs.
  • sgoldman
    10 years ago
    Single story is awesome
  • Tricia Robinson
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    The walk-out rancher (daylight rambler in the US, I see) is king here in the Okanagan Valley. I prefer everything, formal living, formal dining, family room (TV)/kitchen, laundry, master bedroom, office all on one level. However, with the lower level, there is room for guests but I, with my aging knees, don't have to go downstairs if I don't want/have to except to clean. We save on heating costs as well opting to keep the main floor warmer when we are not entertaining guests.
  • bec han
    10 years ago
    I have lived in both and I will never buy another two story house even though you get more house on a small lot. We now own a California ranch style house for over 13 years and I love it we have remodeled every room and now it is perfect.
  • PRO
    Your Space Furniture - Custom Sofa Factory Direct!
    10 years ago
    The key is to have master bedroom on the first floor. Stairs can be a pain.
  • lcuddie
    10 years ago
    We are empty nesters and our last two homes have been large WALKOUT RANCHES, which we love because we can live on the main floor which has the master bedroom/bath, a second bedroom and bath, formal dining room, a large family room, kitchen with eating area and the laundry room and deck with an amazing view. The lower, walkout level has 2 bedrooms, a full bath, large family room, huge storage room and a patio with the same great view, all of which is great for our family/friends to use when they visit. So to us this is the best of both worlds! We are in a suburb of Denver and walkout ranches are in high demand for Baby Boomers and there don't seem to be enough to go around!
  • PRO
    Tuscan Iron Entries
    10 years ago
    Having a young family, it is nice to have a second story so the kids can have their own space.
  • jojo132
    10 years ago
    Unless it is really windy I always sleep with the window open so definitely two story for me. My house is on a height with ten steps just to get to the front door which made things very awkward a few years ago when I broke my foot so I understand why a lot of people would prefer single story living.
  • pariscafe
    10 years ago
    We currently have a two storey with the living being on the second story. The ground floor is the laundry and two large rumpus rooms one currently used as an office and one to be used as a home theatre. Many homes in Brisbane are built off the ground but not in the two storey sense that Americans know. Ours is particularly high off the ground at the back (5 metres = 22 stairs). I really liked the multi level home we had when in Seattle some time ago, it was very practical. Previously we lived in a sprawling single storey (low set) home. All have their merits but as the owner of a 4 month old puppy a single storey home is winning out! Poor little pup cannot manage the stairs yet.
  • PRO
    Blooming Planter
    10 years ago
    I can't help thinking that building up rather than building out is better for our planet as well as our personal health.
  • lcuddie
    10 years ago
    To "pariscafe", thanks for the memory of the term "rumpus rooms". I grew up in Canada but have lived in the U.S. since 1980 and had totally forgotten about that expression, which to us usually meant a very casual family room in a developed basement.
  • lynntou
    10 years ago
    I have lived in both, single and 2 story homes. As a child & young adult, the stairs were never an issue, but to return to that at this time in my life would not be a positive thing...unless.... I would like to see some creative & cost effective designs for 2 story homes intended for small lots, and easy living for seniors, that have a "lift" in them, that doesn't quadruple the cost of building. The state chairs used for those needing assistance with stairs are huge & cumbersome. A lift is user friendly to all in the home, residents & guests. The unit would take up less than a staircase and could go to the basement as well as the bedrooms on the top floor. I know, I'm a dreamer:)
  • stonedog123
    10 years ago
    We currently own a ranch, single story & love it. As we get older so, so glad we have a ranch. only wished we had a basement for added storage. 2 story look nice in all, but I can't see doing stairs as you age.
  • Leslie Brooks
    10 years ago
    We are building a two story colonial style with a basement. The master suite is on the main floor as is the laundry. We are only in our early 30s but this will be our forever home. We wanted kids upstairs to keep the mess under control as much as possible. Plus when kids are gone, we can shut off the upstairs and easily open it up for guests. The basement will be unfinished for now as finishing the space will put us way over budget.
  • PRO
    Studio M Interior Design
    10 years ago
    We love our multi-level home, kids get the upstairs and the master/guest room is downstairs :)
  • John Koegel
    10 years ago
    I always thought I would want to buy a colonial 2 story. Something turn of the century, big farm house. But fell in love with my 1959 Ramblin' Ranch with a touch of MCM style. I can't imagine wanting anything else now. A full finished basement is a must have for the kids playroom, bar, workshop, movie theater, etc.
  • PRO
    Rae Decor
    10 years ago
    Two story, especially when you have company, you can send the children upstairs to bed, only have to clean the first level, keeps the entertaining and private areas completely separate.
  • moggie73
    10 years ago
    We live in the Midwest, so, we really use our basement with a walk-out patio area. It is a must, during the storms. Our family room, two guest suites and storage are there. Lately, however, I notice more and more guests / family member have bad backs, are aging or recovering from something, find it difficult to navigate the stairs - even young people.
    In our next home, I'd prefer all the living space on one level. (With a basement area for storm safety, of course.)
  • jabm
    10 years ago
    Downsized into a small four level: basement, family room partially underground but with big windows, great room/main floor, and upstairs bedrooms. Only 5 or 6 stairs between each level. Seems much bigger to be on different floors. Both our other houses were two-stories with finished basements, one was a "walk-out" basement. Those type of lots are limited here. Basements are standard, which I like, too. And, I still like "going upstairs to bed."
  • Heather Heck
    10 years ago
    I grew up in a beautiful three-story, four-square home which held my youth and my heart. The high ceilings and leaded glass offered a stunning presentation that mid-century homes occasionally lack. When it came to buying my first house, I found a 1953 ranch with ceilings less than 8 feet high. I felt claustrophobic. My furniture crowded the simple space. But, as time went by, I grew to love the easy living a ranch offers. The transition from indoor to outdoor happens with great ease. The circulation patterns are supportive of large crowds during BBQs and dinner parties. When the time came to sell my starter, I chose to continue range living, this time in a split entry. The flow and openness offered by the 50s and 60s architecture has won me over.
  • tiamay
    10 years ago
    I grew up in a 750 sq. ft. apartment for most of my life. Did I mention there were 5 of us? And lots of visitors and guests?
    I'm now in the house of my dreams, 4,000 sq. ft, multilevel. We still have lots of guests and entertain a lot, but I'm truly grateful for the breathing room!
  • Richard Pike
    10 years ago
    Single main floor....maybe....laundry/ mudroom, extra prep kitchen & soho in basement level.
  • monika2024
    10 years ago
    My parents' house was a single level and I hated having the family room and the bedrooms on one floor. So when I moved out, our must was a two story home. I love the separate living levels- more privacy for the upstairs. My plan is to exercise and weight lift til I'm at the ripe old age of 80, and hopefully the stairs won't be a problem. : D (hey I've seen some senior citizens at my gym that are in way better shape than some 20 year olds!)
  • krissyface
    10 years ago
    Single level for heating economy and for those that have trouble with stairs
  • 123elw
    10 years ago
    @monika2024: my mother did fine with two floors until her last couple of months (89 years old). But if you plan on having overnight guests, you might need a guest room/facilities on a lower floor because not everyone is going to be as fit as you plan to be. That was a major reason for my move from a 5th floor walk-up to an elevator building.
  • Samantha L
    10 years ago
    After living on the 23rd floor, too of a duplex, a ranch, a lower level in a townhouse, two story cape cod, and ground level, I'll take one floor. I don't ever again want to have to carry anything up or down stairs when I move. Ever.
  • PRO
    Marlene Oliphant Designs LLC
    10 years ago
    We live in a two-level home in CA, and will be downsizing and moving to a single-level home in the next few years. Our home is also on a hill, which means we have to carefully roll huge garbage and recycling cans down a steep driveway every week. This has resulted in a few spills, since our city containers are so large and we do fill them full. As a designer I encourage clients to at least purchase a home with a bedroom and bath on the main floor so they can age in place without moving. The stairs are a good form of exercise but if someone develops mobility issues that makes it tough.
  • Lori Desormeau
    10 years ago
    We have a single story ranch & I love it. No basement (don't miss it). My small child has a play area I can see from the kitchen, same with laundry room. I find it's easier to clean as I don't have to lug a heavy vacuum up stairs. I like the fact that our family is all together on one floor but we still have our private rooms. Daughter has her room at the end of the house & someday she'll have a study across the hall. Husband has an office & I have my studio. We didn't sacrifice privacy by living on one level.
  • Kari D
    10 years ago
    I have a multi level, which I love, but I definitely like the convenience of a single level home.
  • cieradavies
    10 years ago
    After 3 tumbles down the stairs in the last two years, hands down, a one story is the way to go. Can't wait to get back into a one story.
  • calhesse
    10 years ago
    The last house I built was two story wrap around porches young kids hide and seek warm climate. Now in our 60s knees back etc. we just bought a single story that I am remodeling, three of the 10 rooms are sunken one step adds dimension but with hand rails, climate ,size of family, health , many variables lend to the vote. You have to think about your need and ability it is not just a heart felt decision. I love the midwest two story turn of the century but would not buy one now.
  • PRO
    Walden Homes
    10 years ago
    A single level home (bungalow or ranch style) has many advantages. The one big draw back in our market (Toronto) is that the land value is so high. The land cost makes the multi level option much more economically practical.
  • Jacqueline Pestano
    10 years ago
    I love the multiple story for separation of privacy
  • PRO
    Tilde Design Studio
    10 years ago
    I love the living spaces and Master Suite on the main level. Visually, the home just needs to be interesting; the style doesn't necessarily dictate that I'll like it or not. Building up and down makes a lot of sense, depending on the site. I love our brick tudor! Most things happen on the main level. And, we have a basement. It's just two of us.
  • mickisue
    10 years ago
    You can, of course, get more house for your money with houses that go up instead of out. And, having just turned 63, I appreciate the fact that being forced to climb stairs makes me use my legs and my joints, whether I feel like it or not.

Last spring...which feels so far away, in this cold, cold winter!
  • balcer1949
    10 years ago
    single level is awesome. easier to travel and keep clean wish there were more new ones on the market
  • KD
    10 years ago
    Because I have mobility issues and have a number of friends with mobility issues, I'd prefer single level. However, because of where I live it's VERY HARD to find single level houses of any size (hills, hills, more hills, and oh by the way, hills) so multi-level it is. One compromise is that this particular house was at one point split up into apartments, so off my bedroom there's a funny little room that still has bits of kitchen in it, where I will have a dorm sized fridge freezer and a microwave, for really bad days. (My arthritis is a type that varies significantly in how severe it is.) We also have a room on the ground floor and a small bathroom with shower so we can have guests who can't handle many stairs. (We have a small number of steps into the house, but we're working on figuring out a solution to that.)
  • lepstein
    10 years ago
    I have a two storey Victorian. When the kids were young, I liked the possibility of separation. Now that they have grown up and left the nest, I have had a single story that matches the style and roofline built. I have built it so that, as I age in place, the sunroom can become a bedroom, the office can become a walk-in closet, the laundry and a bathroom with shower and automated toilet are on the main. My deck stairs are also shallower and deeper (I call them my "walker stairs"). I already had a kitchen, living room and dining room on the main. When the time comes (although I am working out to maintain strength, balance and flexibility and to end my previously sedentary lifestyle), I can live on the main and I can even have a care worker live in upstairs. For now, I love coming up to my separated upstairs for bed and I do prefer the architecture of a multiple storey home.
  • lepstein
    10 years ago
    One issue brought up by PirateFoxy is that, for those with mobility issues, multiple and/or single storey is only part of the equation. The terrain in the area also has an impact on your freedom. I'm blessed with a fairly flat terrain so it is easy for me to walk to most amenities.
  • km kane
    10 years ago
    I'm like a cat. I want to perch up top,to see things. That's why I like multilevel :)
  • Christine R
    10 years ago
    I thought I loved my multilevel in PA but when I moved to FL a single level made more sense. I love it. Easier to clean and my kids always put things away rather than leaving them at the bottom of steps to take up later.
  • Christine R
    10 years ago
    I forgot - I do have one room over garage that we use as a guest room. I still count my house as a single level because we rarely use that room.
  • Pond Hockey
    8 years ago

Much prefer multilevel, especially with a daylight basement. Spouse has knee problems so we're building a single level (bonus room over the very large garage will be man cave.)

Interested to know how sound travels in a single level (does it travel through the ceiling? Crawl space?) Is it sufficient to consider only the interior walls?

• jaceymae
    7 years ago

I'd like to perch a little cozy bedroom over one corner of my house..for the view in back...with a balcony. But can that be retrofitted without major demo to support from the standpoint of a house designed to be one story? A tiny bathroom would have to be up there too. I do have access to a lavatory stack in that quadrant. This is more of an opinion poll, but i'll ask that question in case somebody knows the answers..