Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christy_bell

How would you decorate this fireplace?

Christy Bell
10 years ago
For Christmas I had this decorated very nicely and for the first time really loved it. Now that the decorations are down, I'm left with a blank canvas again. I don't like what's on there right now. What would do with this fireplace? Not sure if I should put anything on the ledges (only 5-6" deep) or just leave them and put a piece of artwork in the center. Thanks!

Comments (55)

• dclostboy
    10 years ago
    If built in, you probably don't want to remove...but could probably serve as cleats for a more substantial mantel. BTW, is this a Deck House?
  • PRO
    Sandy G. ltd.
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    -- This room and fireplace is stunning and does not need much in the way of accessories.

Remove the small twin mantles and do not put up another one because the minute you do, you will want to put some things on it. This .rock wall does not need anything more than the rocks it is made from.

Concentrate on the hearth area in stead. Keep the log niche' filled, place a large plant on the right side and invest in a killer pot for it. The screen should fill the area and be the decorative statement with fireplace tools made to match, standing on the hearth.

As for decorating the fireplace for the holidays - which sounds like you really enjoy - have your stone masons install non-descript, virtually invisible nails that you can wire garlands, etc to.

As this fireplace stands, the mini-mantles and fireplace screen are not to scale considering the massive size of the fireplace itself.
    Christy Bell thanked Sandy G. ltd.
  • PRO
    Daniel Dionne Designs llc
    10 years ago
    This is an awesome and imposing fireplace! I wouldn't do much of anything. I agree with Sandy G on all points. If you really want something over it, I would consider a rustic round mirror. (reclaimed wood, metal with visible rivets, etc.) I WOULD however, add window treatments to the flanking windows. Visually light fabric. Iron poles. Cool room! Have fun.
    Christy Bell thanked Daniel Dionne Designs llc
  • sunnydrew
    10 years ago
    Whatever you decide PLEASE- no TV up there....it is way too beautiful.
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    10 years ago
    I second that! No TV. You have a nice space there... maybe some pretty lighting would enhance it.
  • gtcircus
    10 years ago
    I agree with the window treatment suggestion. Be sure to hang them tall to be in keeping with the scale of the fireplace. My room had only 9 ft ceilings so the wall of red brick looked like a prison. Your room is much prettier.
  • Linda Stacey
    10 years ago
    You need a nice fireplace insert that incloses. Have someone come in and build a beautiful wood mantel. Get rid of those two wood shelves. Roman shades on windows. Nice picture over fireplace.
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    10 years ago
    Black candle lanterns, good size, on each shelf.
    Black House Lantern · More Info
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    10 years ago
    I am so sorry but I just can't help myself. A Dr. Seuss piece such as this one is perfect! :)
    Unorthodox Taxidermy: Dr. Seuss captured - a photo on Flickriver · More Info
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    The challenge with stone is that everything just disappears into it. I can tell that you have some cool metal round sculptural elements on the ledges, from the pic, but they virtually disappear. This is why I like mirrors on stone. The contrast of the punch of reflective against all that texture is actually visible and provides an incredible counterpoint to the rusticity. They really complement one another. The more rustic the stone, the truer this is.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    kpi, You ain't right! LOL
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Okay... here's my two cents ;-) I love your room, love the fireplace. Understand the shelves really can't be removed, and I like judyg's idea for that. The two candle lanterns. I'm thinking that you could beef up the window frames and add roman shades, hung above the window to make them seem taller and have some fabric there without blocking the light. Something like this:
    Contemporary Bathroom · More Info

Master Bath · More Info

You could also have a wooden alcove made above the windows and hang the roman shades behind those. I made a 'sketch' of that for you
    Christy Bell thanked Carolina
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    10 years ago
    Daniel, you are so correct. What was I thinking? How about Mother and Child?
    Super Punch: Dr. Seuss’s Unorthodox Taxidermy · More Info
  • bungalowmo
    10 years ago
    Here's what came to mind immediately...something that is fitting of that large stone. Nothing wimpy.

No mirror & please, oh please...no TV!

Just one dramatic statement piece. I'm really seeing a metal like bronze, brass, iron....
  • gtcircus
    10 years ago
    Bet you'd see this! From eBay. This is huge.
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    10 years ago
    43" round, hammered antique gold with gray wash.
    Uttermost Elegans Round 43" Wide Wall Mirror - #R5649 | LampsPlus.com · More Info
  • Christy Bell
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Interesting comments! Thank you! Well, it's easy for me not to put anything up there. I currently have an iron/wood piece up there - the plant I just threw up there. I think it's a bit small. You can kind of see it in this picture. Please disregard the rest of the room - I'm working on it :) The twin mantel is actually inset into the rock, so I'm not sure we can just take them out. Daniel is right - anything I put up there can really disappear, so it's tough.

I like the ideas of working on the hearth with greenery, etc. It really is a beautiful room - if I could just bring out the beauty in it all I know it would be awesome. We are working in stages... the first being a lighting designer to help us illuminate the space, then a custom screen for the fireplace.
  • tessaway
    10 years ago
    Absolutely nothing on the stone. It is beautiful, textured and coloured. Focus on the grate itself. The stone is a beautiful feature.
  • tessaway
    10 years ago
    Not sure about. Roman blinds I a ranch style house but do not know what to suggest.
  • Christy Bell
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    One more comment - on the window treatments, How would you handle them as far as treatment type? The challenge with panels are that the sides of the windows nearest fireplace actually chop off at the hearth. Meaning, I could get a full length to floor panels on the off side, but the sides next to the fireplace would run into the hearth. I'm not a formal gal, so I'd prefer something relaxed and cozy on these windows.
  • Christy Bell
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I did see something like this as a possible option, though not crazy about!
  • PRO
    G5 Industries Ltd
    10 years ago
    HI I would get rid of the two small shelf's and replace them with a large Long Mantle at least 6 inches thick. I would add a Large Corbel at each side as well all of this should be reclaimed or new wood distressed. I like the idea of a Large Screen across the whole opening.
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    If you do like the idea of Roman blinds, there are so many options and possible fabrics. It would dress the room, without having the problem with the fireplace. I don't like the swag type curtain thing you showed above, but that's personal taste. If you like it... :-) But it does look formal to me.
    Christy Bell thanked Carolina
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    New Canaan Private Residence · More Info

Rustic Living Room · More Info

Bedroom Fireplace · More Info

Old World Luxe · More Info
  • gtcircus
    10 years ago
    Christy, you might want to put a richer color on the walls to make the stone pop. I also think having lighting added to illuminate the stone will add drama.
  • halfpint2
    10 years ago
    It's difficult to see the "iron/wood piece" you currently have up there, can it be painted? I love the circular shapes you have displayed on the shelves also, but they are difficult to see. I'd paint them turquoise, ( or whatever color you like) and try arranging them in the center of the fireplace. The room is beautiful!
  • gtcircus
    10 years ago
    This is the before & after of my family room. I'd give anything for the height of your ceiling!
  • PRO
    Sandy G. ltd.
    10 years ago
    -- Again, you have to know when to stop, edit everything you do in this space. Since it is a large, open room, one might think they can do all kinds of clever stuff and get away with it. Quite the opposite is the case here. There is already enough going on architecturally with the fireplace, beams, windows, etc. Let's face it, a vast majority of homes are not like this and need all kinds of design elements added to make them interesting.

This holds true for your window treatments. Don't try too hard, get too tricky or over do it.

Stained wood plantation shutters would work but, on second thought, would add more texture to that wall and you really don't need that. Of course, you would not need draperies then.

The suggestion of blinds would work well. Roman shades could get too formal, so venetian blinds: a wood slat the color of your beams and other woodwork and is at least 2" wide - keeping scale in mind

. To soften the window wall, you could add very full panels on the outside frames of the windows only - leaving the fireplace side without panels, freeing up your hearth for other stuff. The fabric for these panels could be highly textured or as smooth as silk. They should not be white/off white/ or anything lighter than your sofa or hearth. The rod could be just long enough for the panel or extend over to the fireplace. If they were tied back it would soften the vertical lines of the rock wall as well as 'frame" the entire window-fireplace-window composition.

To make this "composition" even stronger, paint the narrow bits of white wall a color that is like the grout/cement used with on the fireplace. This will also help the fireplace recede into the wall and, instead of being so emphatic, become simply another element on the wall and in the room as a whole.

[Full disclosure here - I am thinking of this fireplace as a sort of a bully in the room- dictating your every move right now. All we want to do is to make it chill a little bit and play well with other elements in there!].
    Christy Bell thanked Sandy G. ltd.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Roman blinds are not formal unless you fabricate them in a formal fabric. They are clean and tailored and arguably, that alone makes them a really good option, per carolins suggestion because there is so much already happening architecturally. They could actually be Stationary Roman valances and not close at all if you have no functional need for them to do so. If you DO want panels, the solution is simple. Inside panels to the hearth. Outside to the floor. this would require end caps on the inside of the poles and require them (the poles) to literally butt up against the fireplace. The panels would need to stack to the width of the hearth that extends to the left and right. Make sense? Work within the specifics of your physical space. FTR, every single element that bungalowmo showed you will absolutely disappear on that stone. I really do think that allowing the fireplace to stand unembellished is the way to go. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
  • Christy Bell
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Sandy G. - well stated. Yes, the fireplace can feel like a bully - a good looking one, but still a bully. I also agree with your statements on how easy it would be to over do it. I'm finding that a few large, nicely selected, elements is all the room needs, versus, lots of accessories, etc. We moved here in March from a much smaller home with 8' ceilings. Everything I had was to that scale. I think it will take some time to collect items we love to work with the space. I have to remember not to be in a big hurry as I want my home to be filled with things I love, versus just to fill a wall (I'm just at that point in my life).

I like your idea of the color on the back wall, however this wall flows directly into the kitchen (no breaks) and we get very little natural light here. I'm waiting to paint until we have our lighting situation figured out. The panels on one side is interesting too. Thanks for the guidelines on textures and colors.
  • Christy Bell
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Daniel - I do like the idea of roman shades and easy to do since I sew. I would not need them to function - we live on 36 acres and privacy is not an issue. Would you do an inside or outside mount? If outside, how high?
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Christy, if you move forward with the mindset that you stated above, you will be SO successful in this venture. Good for you. Scale Scale Scale
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Outside, all the way to the beam to make the windows appear taller, exactly as carolins illustrated. 36 acres! Poor baby.... ;-)
  • Christy Bell
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    carolins - like your ideas on the treatments. I wouldn't do the wood alcoves as we have so much wood in the house already that I just can't do it.
  • Terri
    10 years ago
    the fireplace is the decoration LOVE IT!!!!!!
    Christy Bell thanked Terri
  • Christy Bell
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Daniel - quick question. When selecting artwork for a space like this would you go more monochromatic or add punches of color? There is orange, green, yellow flecks in the stone - all of which I love.
  • Christy Bell
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Daniel - This is what I consider more monochromatic (maybe not using the right terminology).
  • PRO
    Solar Luminance
    10 years ago
    Christy - it sounds like you are locked in with the fire place/mantle. I agree with the group, large decorative statement accent pieces (no tv). Have fun with the window dressings. I think you have a Lighting problem. You have windows, but the room is still dark. Can i suggest Custom (or semi Custom) Natural Daylight Light Fixtures. These are a combination of a Daylight Tubular Skylight, with a traditional Chandelier with Energy efficient secondary day/night use LED or incandescent lamping. You have a beautiful (large fireplace), and ample ceiling space. I think you should have an equally impressive Chandelier (or two).
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Ah... Daniel DD and I are on the same wavelength :-) I'm glad you like the idea of roman shades/blinds. Real or faux, they will flank the fireplace nicely, give your windows a nice frame. Will have to take the other windows in your room into consideration when you're deciding how high you're mounting them. You could do faux shades for the patio doors too and go through to the kitchen if you like. Maybe halfway between top windows and ceiling? Not sure... But definitely above the window, so you will see fabric but won't block the light. Great that you sew!
  • Connie
    10 years ago
    Love this room, BUTa bit out of left field perhaps - I would paint the ceiling boards white, and that will seriously brighten up the area. And the wall around the fireplace a strong , deep colour, so the stone really stands out. And if there was ANY way to incorporate a big chunky mantel, go for it - even if it means keeping the current ones as a supporting structure. I think the ceiling beams are heavy and chunky, and are fighting with the fireplace - a big mantle would balance this. And definitely roman blinds.
  • Monique Barrow
    10 years ago
    Christy, you have a beautiful fireplace in a gorgeous room! I like the way you've arranged your furniture. What you can do to avoid all darkness is remove your rug. It is dark, with dark furniture on it. The pattern of it, in combination with the stones of the fireplace, makes your room look busy. You already have a carpet, I think you need no rug.
    Painting the wall might work, a light warm colour in the brown-gold-orange spectrum.
    The wall around the fireplace needs a good balance. Imo the balance is disturbed by the size of the fireplace compared to the two small windows with tiny looking frames. The picture that carolins posted, the New Canaan Private Residence shows how the windowframes may make some counterbalance.
    Anyway, I'm very curious how you'll all work it out.
  • PRO
    essentials inside
    10 years ago
    Perhaps some wall art on the fireplace. I attached a link below. Artwork is by Uttermost and is available at our store. We have a great selection, come check us out

We have free shipping.

Sue
    www.essentialsinside.com

www.essentialsinside.com: josiah square, branches wall art · More Info

Josiah Square, Branches Wall Art
    by Uttermost, available at www.essentialsinside.com

This decorative wall art features real wooden branches with burnished edges and light gray accents woven onto a wooden frame.

Wall Art Fine Points:
    Height: 26.875 in.
    Width: 26.875 in.
    Depth: 2 in.
    Weight: 16 lbs.
    Product Specifications

Sold By
    the essentials inside | Visit Store
  • toats
    10 years ago
    not sure if this has been mentioned, but what about a long piece of wood set on top of the 2 mantel pieces? then you could have a long mantel to set a painting on.....
  • PRO
    Brown Bros. Masonry
    10 years ago
    I'm definitely not much for offering advice on interior design (sorry) but I do think the fireplace, especially in your case, speaks for itself. I think the stone work looks great and you have it set up beautifully! Perhaps it's the windows and décor around the fireplace that need some updating.
  • Melissa
    10 years ago
    What a great space! I love your initial idea of hanging a large piece of art between your two mantles. A painting or print would definitely inject color and interest into your space. A large mirror might also work and reflect more light into the room.
  • Melissa
    10 years ago
    Some inspiration!
  • Melissa
    10 years ago
    Living Room · More Info
  • PRO
    Grande Pacific Homes
    10 years ago
    The stone should be readily available. A mason contractor can easily move the wood mantels out and replace the necessary pieces. A one day job $800 plus a few rocks. But if your going to spend any money on that wall you definitely have to get rid of the ledges otherwise your just wasting your time and money.
  • PRO
    Kevin Annala Photography
    10 years ago
    A large print or canvas would look killer up there. I specialize in mountain landscapes and would be more than happy to help if that is something of interest to you. If not, then a large print or canvas would still look killer up there from some one that has work which suits your style.