Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hayleelauren

Any ideas for freshening up tv unit?

hayleelauren
10 years ago
We're putting this tv unit in our study and just curious as to ways of making it look more contemporary, fresh etc. Fully painting it is probably out of the question. Hopefully the pictures are clear enough to get a good idea, as its currently sitting in the carport and is extremely heavy so couldn't properly get a front shot.

Comments (14)

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I'm sorry, I think the only way to update and change this, is to paint it black or white, ivory or cream. To update, you can take it apart and try to use the console center piece only. I don't know if that is even possible with the current construction. How would you finish the sides? Take the top piece off and use the two sides as separate bookcase units apart from the console. But still would need to be refinished.
  • User
    10 years ago
    I would seriously reconsider bringing this big unit in the house. No matter what you do to it, it will look out dated. Not throwing stones, as I have one and want it gone;)
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    : ) Hi Margo, You caught me. Should be in bed, going now, good night.
  • hayleelauren
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    ah damn, okay. we just figured one unit would be neater than our current set up.
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    10 years ago
    Before throwing the baby out with the bathwater, try removing all the doors so you create an open book case either side and and an open unit; could a carpenter saw the diagonal part of the cabinet and make doors? I would do all of this BEFORE I moved it anywhere.
  • hayleelauren
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    thankyou for all suggestions. we're now considering painting black and opening it up a bit.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Don't need to be too precious about painting them, they're going for a song as people replace them.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Do hold alot though.
  • PRO
    Dan Rodgers Custom Interiors
    10 years ago
    I would sand it all down , prime it all , sand the primed coat . top coat it with any color you wish . Install either tile or a granite remnant for the top of the lower piece , install some fabric behind the glass . change the hardware out . ....bring it back to life for a few more years !!
  • moggie73
    10 years ago
    Looks as though you have decided to paint. Thats great, I see a lot of discussions about chalk paint for these treatments, sealed with wax. They do not have to be distressed, since you are going for a sleeker look. The bonus seems to be less prep and quicker drying time. I only mention this because I am in the same boat. I plan to try it on a smaller piece to see how I like the results.
    Replacing the hardware with a more modern style will help, also.
  • User
    10 years ago
    YIKES...sand. prime. paint. seal. tile. fabric. hardware.......for what ? a heavy, dust collector that still looks outdated.
  • hayleydaniels
    10 years ago
    Does that thing come apart? If so, take it apart and seperate it into 3 different pieces, and use them seperately. BTW, that has to be a bear to move.....
  • User
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    See, posters are referring your beloved unit as *thing* lol...really, I am trying to help save you from mistake;)