Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_300197

Need help with ideas for my kitchen...

IleneR
10 years ago
My husband and I are looking into renovating our kitchen in the spring. We don't know where to start!

The only thing we do know is that my husband will be gutting the kitchen to the studs in order to better insulate the walls and floor, as it's very cold in the winter time. And adding larger heating ducts behind the area where the fridge is at the moment, to make the rooms upstairs on that side of the house warmer in the winter, as it is it's very cold up in the rooms, or too hot in the summer because the air conditioning does not reach.

Would it be a good thing to switch the fridge to where the food pantry presently is? (on the left of the stove) Would the fridge be too far from the sink? For cleaning vegetables and such? And put the food pantry in the corner where the fridge presently is, this would give more room for the ducts going upstairs.

I was also thinking of making it one big room as we only use the formal dining room 2-3 times/year. The drop leaf table that is in the kitchen on the left has 2 leaves and can seat 8 people comfortably, (we never have larger groups for sit-down dinners) I would leave that table, with leaves down, under the dining room window.

Should be go white or dark cupboards?
Two tone kitchen with dark island and white cupboards or vise versa?
Island or kitchen bar or portable island/kitchen?
Is the area large enough to have an island or a kitchen bar? And where would it go, in the centre of the present kitchen, on the side?

The only antique we would keep, I think, is the large armoire/hutch that is presently in the centre wall in the dining room.
We would do hardwood flooring throughout the downstairs.

Whew, sorry for the long ramble but I feel much better now, having put it down on paper.

So, what do you all think?

Thanks so much for your help

Confused,

I l e n e

Comments (67)

• IleneR
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Karemore55, I also like your idea of the chimney type hood, I had thought of that one too... I read somewhere that OTR M/W are dated lol...
  • soto01
    10 years ago
    Ilene: My kitchen is small too. I had a wall like the one going into the kitchen. My husband built a large but very shallow pantry on the wall. I LOVE it! You don't have to go digging in one of those deep pantries....everything is there to see. If you do something like that, you could extend the counter space and cabinetry where the refrigerator is now (it will be moved by then). I Love mine--it is my favorite thing in my new kitchen. It is an armoire style.
    IleneR thanked soto01
  • soto01
    10 years ago
    Addition: We put our microwave under the counter (to get it off the countertop). In a small kitchen, we need all the counter space we can get. Trash is also in an undercounter cabinet. We went with Lowes "Shenandoah" cabinetry and are very pleased with it. It is more expensive than stock but not nearly as expensive as Kraftmaid, etc.
    IleneR thanked soto01
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    Hi Ilene, I think the OTR M/W will always have it's place in a small kitchen but I think it is associated with a lower end look. Personally, I don't think they are all that convenient, and possibly may be a bit dangerous!

Another possible placement for the MW is on the end where you now have the fridge. You could just do a microwave shelf on the upper cabinetry and you should still have room for the ductwork behind.
    IleneR thanked karemore55
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    It might also work to put the M/W on an upper shelf at the corner. If you put maybe a wine rack right in the corner, so that the M/W isn't right up against the wall - and if you make sure the door swings to the right when opened - this would be a nice spot for it.
    IleneR thanked karemore55
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    Another possibility would be to do a peninsula running across the dividing point between kitchen and DR for about 8'. This would leave an almost 4' wide entry to the DR. If you do an overhang, this would create an eating bar. Not sure how long that wall is, but if it is about 4', your eating bar would allow for 2 stools. This might be good for resale value down the road.
  • PRO
    design happens
    10 years ago
    You need to hire a designer speciaizing in kitchen planning to get a good plan. From that you can that is functional. Well worth the money and from there you can proceed
    IleneR thanked design happens
  • IleneR
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Karemore, I love the peninsula idea, it is something I had thought about too.

Soto, I like the under the counter idea for the microwave and the shallow cabinetry...

Design Happens, I definitely need a designer, I just needed some ideas to get us started...
  • gymbugmj2k
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Just adding a couple photos of our 2012 renovation. we removed the wall dividing our kitchen and dining room, gutted to the studs, and added in a fantastic island workspace. the peninsula/island idea would be GREAT in your kitchen as it would give you extra cabinet space, added "buffet" serving space, and hide any dirty dishes from view while still keeping an open floorplan =)

We started with a piece of graph paper and drew the outline of our kitchen (and made copies so we could just keep drawing!) From there, we started drawing in cabinets and appliances. Came up with about 3 different layouts before taking them to a cabinet store/designer and choosing this one! Definitely think about the FUNCTION of the kitchen (how you move around in it), and the design should fall into place!

**Edit to add: I like the fridge in the pantry spot, but I would move the stove down (or across to the peninsula/dining room space) so that you have counterspace next to the fridge - especially if you find yourself often needing 2 hands and places to put things down while you move food around! =)

Feel free to look at our renovation. we did shallow cabinets along the side wall for pantry space (pics below dont show it), and we used a counter-depth fridge - i think we only needed 24in clearance from the wall...
    http://charmedbywine.wordpress.com/2013/02/23/the-big-kitchen-renovation/
    IleneR thanked gymbugmj2k
  • IleneR
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Soto, I think I will do what you say, go seek professional help... As I know this will be an expensive venture and I want it done right...

Gymbug, your kitchen is beautiful... I'm liking the idea of a peninsula/bar idea more and more.

Thanks so much everyone for your ideas, they're all great!
  • IleneR
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Gymburg, LOVE your blog on your kitchen renovation!!
  • gymbugmj2k
    10 years ago
    Thanks, llene! I definitely recommend starting by making a "must have" and "nice to have" list for your kitchen/dining space. It will help keep your mind on track when all the options and ideas start flying around!

our kitchen is definitely the heart of our home, and I can't tell you how many times i've used the two-tier counterspace! Feel free to contact me through the blog if you have any questions about our renovation =)
    IleneR thanked gymbugmj2k
  • montaguemp
    10 years ago
    Your house being built in 1952 makes it a Mid Century Modern. They are becoming more valuable. I would be inclined to design the kitchen in that style. The kitchens of that era were very creative. Two very good resources for kitchens layouts, colours, tiles, etc. are: mid century home plans. org & retro renovation. I hope you enjoy your new challenge.
    IleneR thanked montaguemp
  • sonjaxxx
    10 years ago
    Hi Ilene. If those are original 1952 cabinets you have there, you might be able to sell them! Have a look at the forums on RetroRenovation.com. I think they look really nice. If they are original, have a think about keeping some of them and/or mimicing the look with your new and additional cabinets. Original-style cabinetry will always look right for the house.
    IleneR thanked sonjaxxx
  • newman1958
    10 years ago
    If you keep the pieces of furniture in the dining area then pick cabinets of similar color and design. This will pull the two areas together for one room. Picking colors for the walls that are under the same color but leaving the kitchen a lighter color will give a more light where you need to see better. Island are a really nice feature. Separating the dining area from the kitchen. Most island have room for 2 bar stools. The edge that has the stools is curved. It softens the edges when you walk from one space to the other. Grab some kitchen magazines. It's easier to sit and see what is going on in your room and what you like in the magazines. Take the pictures and measurement of your old kitchen to lowes. They can give you a layout idea that will maximize the use of your space free of charge.
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    It's not a good idea to put your stove and refridge next to each other.
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    Consider putting in a heated floor under tile floors.
  • PRO
    Vida Flora Design
    10 years ago
    Light or dark cabinets? Why not do both--lighter wood on top and dark base cabinets. Then you could pull them together with consistent hardware and a granite or large slab tile countertop that works with both colors. This might also allow you to keep the existing lowers. If there is room, you might consider a built-in seating area with bench against the left wall, with a drop-leaf that could be used for extra prep.

The yellow walls also seem a bit dated. I would go with more of a warmer straw color, especially if you stick with some natural wood on the counters. Here's an idea:

The Cavender Kitchen Remodel · More Info
    IleneR thanked Vida Flora Design
  • IleneR
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yes, those are the original 1952 cabinets, we've been in the same house for 32 years... I don't dislike them but they are not to standard height and depth also the uppers are too low over the counter. When I mentioned just now of keeping the cabinet doors to my husband, he wrinkled his nose, I don't think he likes the idea lol....Where the food pantry is on the left of the stove, in the door there is an ironing board that folds out, which I love, we will keep that door and incorporate it into the new laundry room which is our next project...

Vida Flora, thank you for the ideas, I do love the two tone look . We were thinking of keeping the white on the back wall and the island or peninsula, if that's what we go for in a darker tone. The picture does not do justice to the wall colour it is a khaki colour which a decorator recommended YEARS ago, and we've loved it so much we've never changed it... Just washed and re-washed the walls... the colour goes very well with our antiques... We are definitely due for a change, this is the only area of the house which we haven't renovated yet because of the expense.

leelee, why is it not a good idea to put the fridge and stove side by side? There will be a bit of counter space separating them... Just wondering...

Hubby and I also thought of putting the fridge on the left wall, with this type of pantry surrounding it : http://www.amerifirst.com/amerifirst-blog/bid/100137/DIY-Home-Decor-Fridge-Surrounded-by-Pantry ...
    but then we thought it would take away from the openness of the kitchen because of how thick it is... It's a nice idea though in the right kitchen...
  • Dixie
    10 years ago
    We renovated our kitchen in 2012. In 2013, we purchased and completely renovated my husbands childhood home, a farmhouse in south Texas. The first thing you must do is come up with a budget. It's too easy to overspend on a renovation without one. Next, research the cost of everything you want to do with your renovation. It's easier to scale back to match your budget before you get started. Our farmhouse dream list exceeded our financial budget by almost $15,000. We had to prioritize what had to be done first, and put a couple of the "dream" items on the back burner for now. We also decided we could take care of a few things we had intended to contract out. It sounds like you'll be doing a lot of the work yourselves. We do too, and it's a big money saver... But still easy to go over budget. Good luck. A good plan is a great start!
  • debcoha
    10 years ago
    We went to Cabinets to Go better quality and less than Home Depot and Lowes
  • Sam Hill
    10 years ago
    Change the floor. Add bigger tiles. Apart from that, I like it as it is
  • heartlander
    10 years ago
    Hi Ilene. You actually have a good space to work with. Since you are getting new appliances, you could add cabinetry to the now open wall, with a cabinet-depth refrigerator at the end near the arched doorway. This keeps the fridge from being the focal point when looking in from the dining room, and keeps the pantry wall with the range from visually becoming "appliance row". Keep the pantry where it is, possibly center the range on the pantry wall. Do a cabinet treatment where the refrigerator now is that will accommodate the new duct work. I think you might find that you will have room for a small island run parallel to the window wall. An interesting free-standing piece with an open shelf below would be very cool, and size could be better controlled. Or no shelf, so you can tuck a couple of simple stools beneath. A peninsula is okay, but can visually close in the space quite a bit. Most ppl remove a peninsula in reno rather than add one. FWIW. You are going to have fun with this project.
    IleneR thanked heartlander
  • usergray
    10 years ago
    My suggestions would be....
    -lay both kitchen/dining with same flooring (hdrwd or tile)
    -turn dining window larger, or into patio doors
    -pick a traditional style (gray floors & counter /w stone backsplash /w white cabinets?)
    -stainless appliances
    -keep stub wall, remove both hutches
    -put table closer to old hutch wall.
    -keep stove & sink locations
    -add work space...L/S of stove, raise micro and turn fridge into counters to corner.
    -add floor to ceiling pantry to empty L/S wall and insert fridge.
    -keep dining area open and spacious, no cabinets but 2 corner plants and pics.
    I can see it....
  • IleneR
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    heartlander : I never thought of " appliance row " not a good look for sure...

Usergray : I can see your vision too... nice... I like those ideas...
  • Lisa Hirsh
    10 years ago
    I did a total kitchen remodel about 4 years ago and it functions beautifully and looks great too. My favorite things about it are:

Island with prep sink, drawers, trash compactor
    Drawers instead of lower cabinets except under sinks. Mine are in sets of three, 30 in. wide.
    Corner cupboard with 2 solid shelf lazy susans
    6 burner dual fuel range
    Large shallow cupboard for canned goods on long side of island so I can see everything
    Double pantry with pull out drawers also so I can see everything.
    Large window over sink
    Hardwood maple flooring, warmer and more comfortable than tile
    Cabinets to ceiling are broken up with smaller glass front cabinets in top
    Clay fired sinks, so easy to keep clean

I agree with usergray that your new fridge should go on the left wall with pantry. If you had an island you could unload things from the fridge to the island. Think about how you bring in your groceries. If you come in from the porch you can put them on the island and stock the fridge and pantry and your canned goods cupboard in the island without walking all over the place. Your stove and sink location are good. I envision your island running from the stove end toward the dining room end, if you have room. An alternative would be to wrap your countertop around the dining room end if you can't fit an island.
    IleneR thanked Lisa Hirsh
  • heartlander
    10 years ago
    Need to add, LOVE the kitteh! He shall always be incorporated into your design, by his own decree.
    IleneR thanked heartlander
  • IleneR
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Heartlander, thanks that's Max our other cat Bob was camera shy that day...
  • PRO
    LM Designers
    10 years ago
    You have a whole wall that is basically not being used. Remove the table and chairs and put cabinets there. It would be a good place for the fridge with a pantry next to it. This will gain a lot of storage and increase your counter top on the sink wall.
    IleneR thanked LM Designers
  • soto01
    10 years ago
    Ilene, did you know that kraftmaid makes a very tall skinny pull-out pantry? They can be as skinny as 9 inches or as wide as 3 feet. The 9 inch ones look a little like columns. That is what I had planned for my kitchen. If you put one of these on each side of your counter-depth refrigerator and join them together with a cabinet on top of the refridgerator, it will look like a built-in refrigerator. You would have to move the stove down about a foot or two, but all your food storage will be close together. I have drawn up these plans for friends and they look great. Plus you will have a longer run of counter space where the fridge used to be. You can go with an island or the peninsula with a huge depth counter to make a breakfast bar that will be into the dining room space. You will still have plenty of dining space as well. I think that is a personal preference (whether you want the peninsula or island. I still like what we did (my husband built a shallow but tall and long pantry that looks like an armoire.) I'm just throwing ideas out for you to consider, so you can figure out what you want exactly. You will enjoy it more if the kitchen is "made-to-order" just for YOU!
    IleneR thanked soto01
  • soto01
    10 years ago
    You could also use that big blank wall for the fridge and double pantry (one on either side of the fridge -- but that will kill both the island and the peninsula ideas. Just is a matter of personal preference. What appeals most to you?
    IleneR thanked soto01
  • PRO
    Hal Braswell Consulting
    10 years ago
    Go to better homes and gardens website and download the guidelines for designing kitchens. For example you need so many inches if countertop on each side of range , etc. The guidelines were prepared by the kitchen design association.
    IleneR thanked Hal Braswell Consulting
  • usergray
    10 years ago
    Just a comment about islands....
    I find that so many people incorrectly think an island is required to keep up with style but ultimately you 'must' enjoy moving about in your kitchen & also having room to have others in your kitchen.
    You 'should' have a 4 ft floor space between island and counters.
    Imagine your at your sink and you need to get to your fridge, or stove...trust me, you don't want to walk all the way around the island. Don't create a 'roadway'.
    It's my opinion that this kitchen is too small for an island.
    IleneR thanked usergray
  • IleneR
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Usergray I've been measuring, you're right there isn't much room for an island.

I am taking all your ideas and having a lot of fun with them... keep them coming...
  • PRO
    Hal Braswell Consulting
    10 years ago
    We have an 11 x 11 kitchen with adjacent same sized home office that has a double closet and a door to the back yard. Want to knock down the shared wall and turn into galley kitchen. Saw a magazine article where they built a 12 inch chase on the outer wall for plumbing and electrical that also provided open cubbies and a ledge above base cabinets. On opposite side they used 30 inch deep cabinets so fridge and stove didn't stick out. This left about 4 1/2 feet between rows of cabinets.
  • designgene
    10 years ago
    Hi Ilene. We JUST finished our equally small-sized kitchen remodel. Budget is the most important thing, especially considering you're going down to studs and insulating. We did that too, using single cell foam (also for rodent control in our city 1870s rowhouse), and discovered "issues" that required rebuilding two exterior walls. Way out of our budget to say the least, by 30%. Ouch. Our best discovery was a ceiling ventilation/lighting unit made by BEST, that since we could not install a hood (see existing horizontal window above the stove). I applaud the ideas of using that blank left wall for cabinets/narrow pantry, and while I understand the need to move the fridge, the current layout is ideal for most cooks. Yes, use the free kitchen designers at Loews or hire one--they are well worth the money and will save you much more in the end. Planning is key for a job like this. So many decisions, half of which you don't even know about, which is how a kitchen designer can be helpful.

Since you're exposing studs, you have a rare oppt'y to move appliances and plan electrical and water lines accordingly. We even planned our phone lines and cable tv in the beginning. This is why a kitchen pro can be hugely helpful.

Here are some "during" and "after" photos. Since we had a dark brick floor, which was out of our budget to replace or cover, and stainless steel appliances, we chose white cabinets and lightly "marbled" Caesarstone counters.
    IleneR thanked designgene
  • IleneR
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Very nice reno!
  • Ryan Fitzgerald
    10 years ago
    Ilene- you have a really good sized kitchen, so lots of room for ideas! I'm going through a similar dilemma right now- plan to redo my kitchen next summer, but it's about half the size of yours. :)
    I think a short, but wide penninsula like what Nick Boca posted would look good and function well in yours between the kitchen area and the table.. Good luck with whatever you choose!
    IleneR thanked Ryan Fitzgerald
  • Nick Boka
    10 years ago
    Ilene, would you consider posting an update in the future with your finished remodel?
  • IleneR
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Nick Boka, oh yes, I will absolutely post pictures of the remodel...
  • Nora Maurer
    10 years ago
    looks like you are getting a lot of good advise, and ideas one more thing to remember you can never have enough outlets, when you think you have enough add a few more.
  • IleneR
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    So here is a bit of an update.... Ok, ok, it`s IKEA, my husband seems to be sold on this product... I`m not completely sold on them yet, the reviews seem to be split 50/50...

Here is one design with upper cupboards in white and lowers in a black brown.

http://kitchenplanner.ikea.com/CA/UI/Pages/VPUI.htm?Lang=en-CA&LoadDesign=1b740b59a82f4833b4f4dd478e2815fc&UIContext=Kitchen&IsSharedDesign=1

This design is red/brown with the island being done in white...

http://kitchenplanner.ikea.com/CA/UI/Pages/VPUI.htm?Lang=en-CA&LoadDesign=4aa4bf2137204d7f82da7e012e7268ea&UIContext=Kitchen&IsSharedDesign=1
  • IleneR
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Sorry I posted the above a bit too quickly, my parents arrived for supper lol... So my question is how does the layout look, and what do you think of the two tone, is it a passing fad?

Thanks for your input
  • usergray
    10 years ago
    Dark bottom island /w dark bottom kitchen cabinets tie island to kitchen and match. When island differs...it looks like it's an after thought and doesn't match.

Hopefully you have minimum 4' pathway between island and stub wall...? It looks a bit disjointed and like the island doesn't belong...are you adding an island for the right reasons?
    Your island must be a least 4' long I'm guessing.

If you forget the island and put your fridge (30" depth) /w cabinets around it (18" depth)....I think it will look better.....just a suggestion....
    IleneR thanked usergray
  • IleneR
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The island will be 5'Lx4'w... Yes, there will be 4' between island and stub wall... I'd love to have the island in the middle of the kitchen but it just doesn't fit and doesn't have the 4' clearance around it...

We've always wanted an island as when we have parties it is the gathering area... with an island I feel that they would gather around the island rather than the counter area in the kitchen where I am working...

We've thought of the fridge on that north wall with cabs surrounding it but it really makes the room shrink....

Thanks for the ideas, keep them coming!
  • PRO
    Lori Dennis, Inc.
    10 years ago
    New floors throughout!
  • IleneR
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Lori, yes, YES new floors throughout!! Hardwood... This is a complete gut,
  • IleneR
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

This was the kitchen at it's worse!! I almost cried when I walked in that day lol...

UPDATE:

Finally 3 years later I am updating! We started our renovations in April 2016 and finished November 2016... Thankfully, we were at the cottage throughout the renovations. Hubby did everything from gutting the kitchen to the studs, re-insulating, plumbing, electrical and the hardwood flooring throughout the main floor. He would start after his workday, finish around 7pm and head to the cottage, which is only 20 mins away from home. I must mention that hubby's middle name should be Patience, the man is amazing...

The only thing he did not do was install the cupboards, and counters. We chose a local company Cedar Ridge Designs (http://www.cedarridgedesigns.ca/) and we were completely satisfied with their work.

(Unfortunatly the photos are not in the order I wanted them to go in, oh well, I think you get the idea...)

BTW, I LOVE OUR NEW KITCHEN!!!

ETA: We will eventually do the backsplash in white subway tile.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Very nice job! Kudos to hubby and your "team efforts"!