Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanrav4

What To Fill In A Christmas Tree Corner in a Small Living Room

susanrav4
10 years ago
This corner is one of the first places you will see as soon as you enter the front door. I have tried different arrangements as to the placement of the entertainment center and furniture and this is the one that has a better flow and brings your eye from the living room to the small dining room and the sunroom with a garden view. I need help on 5 things: 1. What to do in that corner. 2. Will I replace or rearrange the frames on the wall 3. Should I add a few artwork next to the mirror, replace it or leave it as is 4. Should I keep the neutral color as the wall behind the tv (the other wall has yet to be painted) 5. Any suggestions on the accessories on the end table and coffee table. This is my second project I need to tackle with your help houzzers! A shout out to Jordan and Anne Dee who helped me picked a beautiful front door color sometime in May of last year.

Comments (29)

• susanrav4
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Oops , here's more.
  • susanrav4
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Help, any suggestions?
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I would love to see more of the wall behind the couch with the art. Is there a table at the other end? If yes, does it have a lamp on it? Little things like that.

More would also show the art in question and how it compares to the length of the couch. Right now it is too high, but would like to see the wall before making a complete suggestion.

The mirror behind the other one reflects the other wall......you will be much happier with art on that wall, too, as the mirror does not reflect the outdoors or something special in the room.

Keep the wall behind the tv the same as the other walls in the room. I love that sort of harmony in a space.
  • susanrav4
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    You mean this wall?
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    Are there windows in this room?
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    Now I see drapes, so think there is a window. Yes, thanks for that pic. Hmmm....I would rather the end table was not angled....like straight lines there, I guess. BUT if you make it straight against the couch, the lamp will fight with the clock. BUT the clock seems hidden right there and deserves a prominent spot in the room....and it fights with the art.

Art behind a couch should take up 2/3 of the space.....this extends the entire length of the couch. What about lowering the two large ones in the middle and moving the smaller ones? Those two smaller ones can be stacked somewhere. But where?

Since there is a window, would a nice tall plant work in that corner? I know, Margo, you have to dust them, but this room could use some greenery, too. And that space seems just right!
  • User
    10 years ago
    Now that I see more of the room, I personally think you need to scale down on the furnishings and decor. There is to much going on to add anymore.
  • susanrav4
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I would really like a contemporary wall art blending in with traditional. I can't change the furniture, although the recliner is very comfortable I wasn't happy with my choice of fabric. I am hoping I can overcome it with other accessories in the room.
  • susanrav4
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I like a combination of contemporary , minimalist and traditional with the overall effect of a warm, inviting and cozy room.
  • User
    10 years ago
    susan- there is nothing minimalist about this room;)
  • susanrav4
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yes there's a big window , about 96 inches wide and 40 inches tall. I don't know if the curtain works in the room, there's plenty of light when pulled to the side.
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    I think we need to move the chair from the curtains.......would you be ok with making the two couches in to an L, so the couch under the mirror would go in front of the window?

Then the recliner could go on the mirror wall, maybe angled toward the tv??? The coffee table would go in front of the same couch, I think, so there would be room for the recliner to recline.

Then it would not look like dualing couches with a recliner calling the shots.
  • susanrav4
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I know, I am ready to get rid of them butI can't pull it all together yet.
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    Also, if we move the mirror couch, it will open the doorway up, too. Thoughts?
  • susanrav4
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I had moved the couches all over and this one works with the flow best. I like to entertain hence the two same size large sofas. Those 3 including the recliner have to stay where they are for me to be able to use them. I have an antique end table that's angled because it didn't look right straight. On one end with the other couch with mirror on the wall, there's a small telephone table /chair .
  • susanrav4
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The room living room is only 15x14.
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    So what would you say your accent colors are in this room? Burgandy? Blue?
  • susanrav4
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I have no idea, I like fresh bright color to accent the room that would work with the furniture and end table. I am willing to replace or rearrange the placement of the art wall. There's a bit more dark color in the room that I would like to offset with a touch of color.
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    What about this.....you mentioned you were not crazy about the color of the recliner....and there are pillows around the room with that fabric. I totally understand what you are attempting to do.....to bring it around the room, but how would you feel about getting rid of those pillows? Choose an accent color and then get some pillows in that color for the couches instead that work together....with the art. I am seeing blue in the art and the curtains and a few pillows. Can only those pillows stay and we get rid of the others? Keep the two large pieces of art....those work. The mirror does not. If you are happy with blue as an accent, would you have another other blue art in your home you could bring in here to try? See how it feels and looks?
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    Oh! I think the box on the side table has blue in it???? Is it awfully big next to the lamp....how about trying that on the coffee table?
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    OR we can work with the burgandy and not the blue curtains???? Do you need curtains? I ask that only because some people do not. That would help eliminate another big color in the room.

Here is where I am headed.....60/30/10 is a good ratio for color in the room. I am guessing the couches make up the 60.....what do you see as the 30/10???
  • susanrav4
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    A nice floor lamp is a good idea, Margo, something to consider.
  • springgg
    10 years ago
    Tall reeds, grasses flowers ext in a cool Floor vase!!! You could even put a tiny string of lights for accent on them. Change it up for the seasons.
  • susanrav4
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks, that's something to consider also.
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    I think when you choose something for that corner, it needs to be functional to earn its spot in this room.......thus, the floor lamp can work there. My opinion, of course. Guess a plant would not have function, either, truly.
  • susanrav4
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    That's what I am thinking. I just need the whole room to work together. I know I need to eliminate some stuff there.
  • susanrav4
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    And come Xmas, I can just move it easily to the teen's room.
  • susanrav4
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I think I should just browse photos of small living rooms to get the complete look I am after, a mix of contemporary and traditional.