Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisbeth55

Too many doors! Does anyone have sliding doors for their kitchen?

lisbeth55
10 years ago
We have a little apartment and want to make the most of the space. The folding door on the left goes into the kitchen and when open takes up precious space, could we put a sliding door in instead? See example picture (the wall is not thick enough for a pocket door). Will that look odd next to the door on the right? I am open to suggestions for changing all of the doors in this area...

Comments (29)

• Mark
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I think you could do a sliding door. It appears though that the door when fully open will cover a bit of the entrance in to the kitchen. If this is your livingroom, I don`t see a need to have a door to the living room at all so I would just take the other door off.
    lisbeth55 thanked Mark
  • Lesli Richardson
    10 years ago
    I agree. Why have a door at all? Very closed in. Open it up!
    lisbeth55 thanked Lesli Richardson
  • lisbeth55
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    So sliding door for the kitchen (I want to be able to close the door when we have guests and I'm making a proper mess...) and remove the door on the right (hallway to lounge) altogether? When you do that do people keep the door frame or just have it open?
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    10 years ago
    Make sure there is enough clearance for sliding doors.
    lisbeth55 thanked Dytecture
  • Mark
    10 years ago
    You can keep the door frame or lose it all together. Taking out the door frame will require a lot more work though. Just remove where the hinges were and fill in the slightly indented area where the hinges were and the holes from the screws and you should be fine.
    lisbeth55 thanked Mark
  • lisbeth55
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    We just found out putting a pocket or sliding door will be really (really) expensive! We were thinking of just getting a nicer folding door (for the kitchen) but are folding doors really dated? I just think of them as clunky, if anyone has nice examples please send them!
  • newman1958
    10 years ago
    Could you just remove the doors and see if it looks ok and works for you?
    lisbeth55 thanked newman1958
  • Ramona
    10 years ago
    It doesn't have to be a folding door. It could be a French door, but I think this is the perfect space for a sliding barn door. I'm not sure about the measurements, but the bracket could go along the entire wall and the door could be slid so that it blocks the kitchen, the living room entrance or goes all the way to the left, leaving kitchen and entryway open.

[houzz=
    Hornstein Residence · More Info
    ]
    lisbeth55 thanked Ramona
  • nundypratt
    10 years ago
    I vote for removing both doors. Try to keep the visible part of the kitchen neat and uncluttered. Too many doors in the space as it is now. It looks very cramped in the dining area.
    lisbeth55 thanked nundypratt
  • lisbeth55
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I LOVE barn doors but don't know if there is enough room. Incidentally I really wasn't kidding about the number of doors, there is a THIRD one you can't see in the picture (have a look at the floor plan). Mark's suggestion to take off the door that goes from the hall to the living room seems like a great idea (and it's an easy job). For the other two doors I really like the idea of being able to open the kitchen up, or close it off (for when I'm burning dinner and don't want guests to see or when the very loud dishwasher/washing machine is running), which is why I am leaning towards keeping both - I'm amazed how tricky this has become but it really affects the space! This flat is in London by the way, the English love their quirky and tiny layouts...
  • Ramona
    10 years ago
    If the width of the door to the hallway is the same as the kitchen, just make the door that width. Then you cover either kitchen or hallway or push all the way to the left. The barn door doesn't have to be wide.
  • Victoria
    10 years ago
    I'd take off the door to the living room and block off the door from kitchen to living room. Just then use door from kitchen to hall to enter living room as there won't be the second door in the way. Gives you your privacy and noise reduction, also more space on kitchen.
  • nundypratt
    10 years ago
    Thanks for the floor plan. Since you have another doorway into the kitchen from the hall, I think you should close up the smaller doorway with the bifold doors. If you need to keep the door to the lounge area to keep it cozy, maybe change that door to the barn door style with frosted glass to allow light into the hallway. Maybe use a more decorative glass detail to make it an art piece as well.
    lisbeth55 thanked nundypratt
  • Victoria
    10 years ago
    I'd then take out the closet/pantry to make better use of the back of the kitchen. A lot of space is wasted there.
    lisbeth55 thanked Victoria
  • lisbeth55
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hey Ramona, no such luck - the folding kitchen door is not nearly as wide as the hall one, and it is also wider that the wall to the far left (meaning a sliding door would stick out into the kitchen frame - does that make sense?) How do folks feel about getting rid of the folding kitchen door altogether (so making it a solid wall), removing the hall door and just keeping the frame, and then making the second kitchen door (the one in the hall that is not visible in the picture) a sliding one like my original picture? It means the dining area has more space, but you then can't see all the way through the flat. Thanks so much for everyone's advice, I really appreciate the help!
  • lisbeth55
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks Victoria - we are planning to completely redo the kitchen (it need's it!) so that should help with space...
  • Ramona
    10 years ago
    I do not like entering the living space through the kitchen. Very ugly set up. I am assuming that you eat in 'reception area' and don't want to carry food through 'side' kitchen door into 'dining room.'

I would consider taking down the whole wall, making an open concept and figuring ways to block view of kitchen mess with taller counters facing reception.
    lisbeth55 thanked Ramona
  • Victoria
    10 years ago
    I may be wrong, but I believe in the UK that fire regulations state you must have a door between kitchen and the stairs, I know some people take it out but the regulations are there for a reason.
    lisbeth55 thanked Victoria
  • jessegee
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I've got lots of doors, good handles makes big difference.

Is it the look of the doors or the doors themselves that you don;t like ?
    A secret door is lovely , but better might be to bookcase around them so they dont look so obvious?

Love your floor by the way.
    lisbeth55 thanked jessegee
  • Victoria
    10 years ago
    I'm doing that in my kitchen Jesse!
  • anniau
    10 years ago
    If you prefer a separate kitchen, then go for it. The open plan kitchen dining living room is not for everyone.
    Closing off the bifold doors will give you much more space in the kitchen and you may be able to fit a very small breakfast bench and stool here.

Instead of building a wall where the bifolds are, consider using the doorway space to build a shallow cabinet or shelves -drink and glass storage, books, treasures.
    Perhaps with a mirror back to add more light into this space.
    The room does not seem to have any storage.
    lisbeth55 thanked anniau
  • jessegee
    10 years ago
    Wonderful Victoria, painted or wood?
  • lisbeth55
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    That'll be fantastic Victoria - wall bookshelves are so nice!
  • lisbeth55
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hey anniau - yeah maybe that is the right way to go! It just seems most people are opening up the space rather than closing it off, but I think I prefer a separate kitchen!
  • Victoria
    10 years ago
    Painted
  • jessegee
    10 years ago
    Excellent, are you being daring with colour?
  • Victoria
    10 years ago
    No, for once I will be restrained!
  • PRO
    DAYORIS Doors / Panels
    9 years ago
    View our gallery at http://www.dayoris.com, we have excellent examples of modern sliding doors. Our upscale design will transform your living space and expand it's luxury to the entire home. All our design doors are available in different finishes, so you know that you will be able to find the perfect color for your project.

Sincerely,
    The DAYORIS Team