Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leena1979

Sectional or sofa

leena1979
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
Hi!

We are trying to furnish our new house and have no living room furniture right now. We are trying to decide between a sectional and sofa. Our living room will get mixed use- we will be entertaining in that space and using it as our family space for my too kids. I am hoping the kids will spend most of their time in their play room though. The sectional we are considering is the cu 2 sectional by bassett- http://www.bassettfurniture.com/U-Shaped-Sectional-MDX2100-MDY2120-MDS-1-MDZ30908.asp

We do not have a sofa in mind but would like a quality sofa like Bernhardt etc.

Also, I would really like your opinion on weather a sectional is a good choice for our floor plan which is attached below. Would it look too big? I would like to keep the room somewhat semi formal instead of completely casual.

Thanks a lot

Comments (18)

• leena1979
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Floor plan
  • leena1979
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Any help will be appreciated.. We need to decide on the sofa quick.

Thanks
  • Rachel H
    10 years ago
    I too have a corner fireplace and then a tv against the wall to the right of it. For this layout, I love my sectional that faces both the fireplace and tv. I'd say it works for your floorplan but I didn't play with the measurements to see if the size is good. it would be ideal to fit a sofa table behind the sectional with lamps and decor - consider that option when measuring.
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    What's about 2 sofas and 2 accent chairs to make it a little bit more formal?
  • PRO
    Larry's Design Center
    10 years ago
    Sectional sofas give you the most seating. Excellent in family rooms. I would run it along your two solid walls, and complement it with two floating occasional chairs. It's okay to have one side of the sofa adjacent to the fireplace wall as long as the other side is opposite.
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    I would just say no to the sectional in this room. A sofa and a couple of chairs will be a lot more versatile, especially if you will entertain in this room. Plus, I see problems already with placement of a u-shaped sectional, a corner fireplace, and a TV.
  • leena1979
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks for your responses. Rachel is your sectional U-shaped or L-shaped? The sectional we chose ( on recommendation) from a Bassett designer) is U - shaped with a chaise on the right end. I feel like the shape would not let us have a chair.
  • leena1979
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Rachel, were you able to put an accent chair or two? Groveraxle, what kind of problems do u see with sectional and the fireplace? I too feel like its not going to work but cannot point to exactly why. It doesnt help that my husband loves that sectional.
  • leena1979
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Other than the shape of the sectional, my main concern is whether a sectional is too casual or can it be dressed up to look a little more formal. A professional opinion on our sectional would be very helpful.
  • Rachel H
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I think my space is much smaller. It's cozy. I attempted photos. If I had the budget for it, I'd put in built-ins to the right of the fireplace. For size reference, the rug is an 8x10. I didn't buy the sofa for this home, it came from my previous home.
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    leena, a U-shaped sectional will give you exactly two furniture arrangements and zero chairs. You can put it an angle facing the fireplace, or straight on facing the TV (depending on where you put the TV, which I hope is on the wall to the right of the fireplace). Either way, it closes off the space completely.

If you have company, I don't think you will all be comfortable crammed together on the sectional. It becomes a bit too cozy then.

I've seen too many dilemmas here where people have these sectionals that look great, but just don't work. A sofa and two chairs are way more versatile.
  • Rachel H
    10 years ago
    I think it all depends on the size of the room and the size of the sectional.
    Contemporary Design · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/photos/2011-showcase-hillside-retreat-rustic-living-room-new-york-phvw-vp~375609
  • Rachel H
    10 years ago
    I do want to point out that, as you can see from my own sectional pic, having the chaise end really cramps your coffee table options.
  • leena1979
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Both of you have some excellent points. I think I will try to get an L- shaped sectional instead of a U. Rachel, you got me on the coffee table. We really liked a coffee table but it is too big for our chosen sectional.
  • leena1979
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I really like how your rug is centered on the fireplace and the sectional is centered on the tv. That is very clever.
  • leena1979
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Groveraxle, thanks for your input. I think one sofa and two chairs will not give us enough seating. I am leaning towards a u- shaped sectional and one or two chairs. What do you think about that?
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    leena, I think you meant an L-shaped sectional? That would definitely be better than a U-shape. You may still find it limits your arrangement possibilities. Before you buy anything, get the dimensions and use blue painters' tape (or boxes and lawn chairs) to mark it out on the floor. That way you'll have a feel for how it fills the space.