Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
monica_lacombe

To Chandelier [my open dormer window] or Not to Chandelier

Monica Lacombe
10 years ago
We are finishing up the electrical stages of our home right now and decided to outfit our open dormer window just in case we wanted to hang a chandelier in front of the window to illuminate it at night. The Dormer is 4 feet x 7 feet tall. I also included a photo of a similar window to show the effect it will have on the room below...in our case it will open up into our kitchen and give our island (and counter height seating some extra light. Our island and rest of kitchen is well equipt with lighting).

Fort Point Cottage, Harbour Island, The Bahamas · More Info

The higher perspective photo included is from the top of my stairs. As you can see, it's a clear shot across the stairwell and over some beams that we are wrapping in barn cypress. One other issue I am having is I've already purchased an industrial styled gunmetal bronze 5 light chandelier that will definitely be hanging on my stairwell.
http://www.goldenlighting.com/6068-Marco-5-Light-Chandelier-GMT?sc=9&category=90251

Could this light "do the job" in getting light over to that window? Since it's an after thought, I'm having a lot of issues with the style and size of what to add in the dormer ALONG with the fact that this light lines up almost exactly with the stairwell light when standing at the top of the stairs. So I feel like they should compliment each other.

Back to my questions.
Is the dormer light needed?

If so, what size?
and style?
Could something with sparkle work since it will get some amazing direct evening sun?

Thanks!

Comments (9)

• Patricia Phelps
    10 years ago
    No one will actually see the chandelier from the outside. Your window is to let light in. If you say you look out the window from the top of hour stairway, then that is what the window is for. To look out and to let light in from the sum. If you hang a chandelier there it will block both issues.
  • PRO
    Michael Design
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Do you have any exterior photos showing the dormer?

And will the insulated flex ducts be up and out of the way?
  • Monica Lacombe
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    To clarify @pphlelps- The issue is at night when there is no light coming in from outside.... if it will look like a dark hole in the ceiling.
    With a rather large live oak tree right outside, this dormer allows more light to come in than the windows on the bottom floor during the day.

I can upload one soon M.K. Design.
    It's not possible to hide unfortunately, we are looking at sheet-rocking an arch top to the dormer.
  • Monica Lacombe
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here's the outside dormer
  • PRO
    Michael Design
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Given that you have quite a deep well for the dormer a chandelier may not have the affect that you are looking for on the outside. Perhaps you should look at lighting the dormer in another way.

You may want to consider a couple of uplights that are mounted low and below the dormer that are set so that the light bounces up off the arch that you are planning for the dormer well. You could also use a single unit centered below the window. Try and mount it so that you don't get glare from the lamp when viewing it from the stairs. A baffled unit might be effective here.
    By providing this kind of lighting the ceiling of the dormer will glow from the inside and be quite visible from the exterior.

You could easily mock this up with a trouble light or a construction light.

Is this an ICF house? Just a guess based on the exterior image.
  • Monica Lacombe
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    That sounds like the perfect solution! This is on the side of my home and is mostly blocked by the live oak tree canopy, so the outside view was not as important.
    Below the window is a straight drop about two feet then the wall matches up with the slant of my kitchen ceiling. Speaking of... I have a set of upper cabinets under that window that will already have some up lighting towards the rear, closer to the wall. I bet I can add something a little more powerful closer up front that can point more towards the center of the dormer. Thank you so much for the direction!
    This is an ICF house. It's been a fun build!
  • PRO
    Galilee Lighting
    9 years ago
    you can put a pendant lights chandelier, with a staggering play that will go on different height levels and will illuminate the different heights in the space.
    Here are some examples from our projects.
  • Monica Lacombe
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Here are some updated shots. I choose a five light which is perfect in scale. I loved how it's rustic gunmetal finish in contrast with it's feminine shape blends with the decor, but adds a bit of surprise. Definitely glad I went for it.