Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caterinajay

Alocasia Amazonica Polly Advice Please!

caterinajay
5 years ago

Hello, Ive been eyeing this plant for a while now and was browsing the CLEARANCE section at Lowes earlier today and bought this for $1.00!! I'd planned on buying a healthy one, but I couldnt resist, its such a deal! SOOOO, I've never had a plant like this before and would like some advice on reviving/restoring/saving this plant as it clearly needs help. Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Comments (9)

• caterinajay
    Original Author
    5 years ago

• Mike the Fiddle Leaf Fig Guy
    5 years ago
    nice!!! bright indirect light as always and fast draining soil. let it dry before watering again. no direct sun but the stems and leaves would reach for the sun if not enough light i noticed, it gets leggy and make sure to rotate. i fertilise mine once a month. remove the yellow leaf from the base so it would look nicer! the leaves tend to grow bigger than the last leaf so it would be big in no time and it’s fun to watch it grow! im so excited! they would also have small babies after a while! 1$ is a steal for this plant!
    5 years ago
    im in australia that’s why i fertilise at the moment. you may want to not fertilise if it’s winter there
  • Karen S. (7b, NYC)
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Good deal indeed, they're so handsome! I don't know where you are, but I believe some Alocasias can go dormant; this may be one of them.

I once bought one of these from a florist (I'll never make that mistake again) & wasn't warned it would go dormant, which it did. I thought it dead, so I threw it out, only to learn after the fact they sometimes go dormant. You may wish to read up on these & see if that's what's going on.

Excuse me for disagreeing w/ some of the above, these do NOT get leggy, that is it's normal form & growth habit, very long stemmed leaves. Pls do not fertilize before finding out if it's going dormant.

Also pls allow at least a few days for others to chime in w/ their opinions; there are folks who grow these here, it just may take a bit of time. Good luck w/ it.

5 years ago
    im so excited to hear you grow alocasias now! how are your calatheas? you would love growing alocasias because they grow so fast and always give out new leaf! you should also get the macrorrhiza, wentii, the zebrina is beautiful, sarian, the tea cup, the stingray, black velvet and the frydek! so many of them to collect. the stingray is soooo out of this world if I were to choose!
  • tropicbreezent
    5 years ago

These plants get a terrible mix up with names. Should be Alocasia Poly (Poly is short for Polyploid - and that's another story in itself). No Alocasias come from South America, and there's no Amazon in any area around Asia where they are from. But they're a hybrid (cross breed) and this crossing has been done by a lot of people now so there's a lot of variability around. Some of the plants are tall, some are short, and everything inbetween. Any sort of set back can send them into dormancy, particularly low temperatures. I've had some dormant for years. Suspected they were dead when they didn't come back but left the pots in a corner and forgot about them. That is , until a few years later when they began to emerge. If they do die back just check the tubers are still okay and don't keep them too wet.

• Karen S. (7b, NYC)
    5 years ago

Is there a way for Caterina to tell if it's just older leaf aging out or it's going dormant pls? If there were, I might consider trying another one myself. TIA.

• hibiscus909
    5 years ago

Yours looks pretty good. I got one off the clearance rack with a single leaf, and the driest media I have ever seen. As such, I put mine in proper (good) soil and am crossing my fingers. And misting. Hopefully the care is similar to other alocasia? Mine really don't grow much over winter, even with grow lights.

• caterinajay
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks everyone! I actually chopped off the 2 ugly dead leaves and havent repotted it yet. I will maybe in a week or 2, but IDK if its dormant or not? How can you tell? Its in a room thats comfortable temp with other plants so Im hoping its grows more leaves for me!