Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
happymess

Happy Mess
13 years ago
last modified: 13 years ago
Any ideas on how to combine modern design with a casual/eclectic aesthetic?
I am renting a home for a few years and the design of the town home is a beautiful European renovation. I have attached a pic as an example. Any ideas on how to combine modern design with a casual/eclectic aesthetic like mine? I feel a bit stuck!

Comments (10)

• Amy
    13 years ago
    It looks like you need to soften it up with colorful art, rugs, fabrics, and plants. There's no rule that says you can't mix styles, i.e., antique with modern. Just use what you love.
  • Happy Mess
    Original Author
    13 years ago
    It definitely needs to be softened. I want to pick a few accent colors to thread throughout the house without it looking too one note. I like the idea right now of grays, greens, taupe... Do you think I could add a bit of orange or blue? I thought red might be too much like Christmas.
  • kimbersays
    13 years ago
    I love the space although the grey is a little cool. I think orange and a very strong yellow would look lovely and cheerful. The design is neutral enough to play with. Enjoy it!
  • Amy
    13 years ago
    To go with the grey/green/taupe theme, I would add natural elements like sisal, light wood furniture, and some of those great butterfly pillows from pottery barn. I would save the pops of color for artwork on the walls. Try allposters.com for some affordable art.
  • Happy Mess
    Original Author
    13 years ago
    I definitely want to add natural elements. I love sisal. Have you seen some of the bedding at West Elm? I really like some of the strong prints and colors (yellows) that they have right now. I will check out the suggestions. Thank you for the feedback!
  • Happy Mess
    Original Author
    13 years ago
    What do you think of this Shower curtain from West Elm? It feels like floating art to me and could be striking in the bathroom. Thoughts?
  • Amy
    13 years ago
    Love it. Urban Outfitters has some awesome bedding too.
  • inkwitch
    13 years ago
    Very Euro. Definitely rugs - I could see a long red Oriental runner in the kitchen. This color scheme and geometric control cries out for at least one outrageous piece of furniture in a color you love. Lemon sofa? A deep red wingback with a leather sofa? Morrocan poof cushions? White lacquered victorian coffee table? Big wooden bowl with fruit on that island. Unless you love green above all, I would tend toward warmer colors: rust, terracotta, brick, ochre, umber, saffron -- think of color as having character, vibration, mood.
  • PRO
    Six Walls Interior Design
    13 years ago
    In the kitchen adding an artful rug with color would bring life & an element of casualness to the space. (i'm suggesting something still somewhat modern, but more playful & different as opposed to traditional. In addition, swapping out the pendants over the island to something more colorful would be charming. If you wanted to add a third layer of interest, you could always add one funky painted cabinet running horizontally between the two shelves to the wall (giving the refrigerator something else tall to relate to in the space. This would not only add visual interest & character, it would give you some much needed upper storage! You could do some fun glass in the cabinet, or wire, or fabric, in lieu of just a painted wood face. It could also be something reclaimed/salvaged from another home's "don't love anymore" rennovation? I have attached images that illustrate what I'm suggesting. For more help, you can contact me directly @ dawn@six-walls.com
  • PRO
    Six Walls Interior Design
    13 years ago
    On second thought, the cabinet wouldn't really work above the stove area, but it could go to the left of the window on the opposite wall. (of course you'd have to run this idea by your landlord, because I just reread that you are renting. Same with the pendant swap. It would definitely add some personality to the space, and the existing lights could always be re-installed prior to your departure, and you'd have some super cool lights to use in your new place, or a place you might own in the future.