Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chimacalgal

Any married couples sleeping in twin beds? Need design advice.

CJ Mac
5 years ago

We have been sleeping on an "olympic queen" matress on a queen wood frame. A matching nightstand on each side and a tallish dresser. Not fine furniture but from the Bombay Company just before they went put of business.

We are now buying 2 twin XL adjustable beds. It's awkward trying to justify my choice of wanting to have my own separate bed. Salesman keeps trying to get us to buy king bedding to join the two , but among many reasons, I want it to be easier to make the beds and wash the bedding. I don't want to take a king bedspread to a dry cleamers or laundromat.

My husband is going along with my choice but wishes we could have the beds closer without a nightstand in between. I don't think our room is wide enough for that, plus it sounds inharmonious designwise.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to have 2 twins somewhat close, but enough room in between to make them up easily? And how to handle lighting, alarm clocks, phone, etc., if there's no room for 2 nightstands.

Comments (100)

• Bri Bosh
    5 years ago
    An easy solution to the large king duvet problem is the European style of two twin duvets, one for each person. They are just folded on top of the bed, not tucked in.
  • Bri Bosh
    5 years ago
    Two twins also eliminates the blanket stealing issue.
    CJ Mac thanked Bri Bosh
  • CJ Mac
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Exactly! :-)

• Nidnay
    5 years ago
    CJ Mac.....I say enjoy your separated twin beds and your own sleeping space. You’re bound to get a better nights rest without all that tossing and pulling of blankets and covers. And it can actually contribute to a happier marriage because you won’t wake up mad at your spouse for keeping you up all night.
    CJ Mac thanked Nidnay
  • DLM2000-GW
    5 years ago

CJMac is there a certain type/look of bed spread you're hoping for? Do you want solid or print or does it matter? Is there a color or design that is off the table? We have great search gurus here so maybe start a new thread with specifics of what you want. And congratulations on sleeping well - that's worth everything!

CJ Mac thanked DLM2000-GW
  • partim
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Glad you've found a solution that works for you. Sleep is so important to good health!

Now that we are empty nesters, my husband (of 40 years) and I sleep in separate rooms, which is even better than separate beds. And if you ask around, a lot of people do this but don't broadcast it for fear of seeming un-intimate, because people make negative judgments and assumptions about your sex life. But there's nothing sexy about feeling tired because of a poor nights' sleep, or wanting to smother your sweetheart with a pillow because he woke you up. Again.

CJ Mac thanked partim
  • Nidnay
    5 years ago
    Well said partim.
  • kaye1951
    5 years ago

Wayfair has a nice selection of XL twin bedspreads and comforters. Good luck!

• IdaClaire
    5 years ago

Those who think the bed is the best place for intimacy lack imagination. Pity.

• Missi (4b IA)
    5 years ago

I've slept in our daughter's room for close to 8 years. We've been married for 17, and our daughter will be 15 tomorrow. His snoring increased-(he also is a bed shaker)-and he had his deviated septum fixed, to no avail. So-I moved to a different room. He's been a police officer now for 6.5 years--and he's complained for 6.5 years about the frequent wake-ups from the people he works with and around, and I couldn't begin to count the number of middle of the night alarms he's had set to get up and go assist w/things or work on cases. I would *never* sleep-and how much do we LOVE the shrill sound of a phone ringing in the middle of the night? Even in the other room, he wakes me up 99.9% of the mornings he has to work, or when he comes home to grab something to eat if he's on a different shift, or when he goes off duty in the middle of the night. But, for the most part, I am able to sleep now. People act weird to me when they find out my husband and I don't sleep in the same room or same bed, but I don't see why it's anyone's business, why it should seem to be so offensive. And, I'm surprised by the number of people I've found that say they wished they did, or that actually do.

My daughter and I each have a twin, and I'm going to get XL's. Depending on how we reconfigure the (extremely small) room, we'll have a table between them-and they'll each have to be up against the wall on two sides-or we'll do one in one corner, and the other in the opposite corner, again each will have to be against the wall on two sides, and we'll have our own small table. No headboards.

CJ Mac thanked Missi (4b IA)
  • Cheryl Smith
    5 years ago

We bought an adjustable king bed when we bought a house with a master big enough to have one. I'm the one that snores without my cpap machine and seldom sleep more than 4 hours. I sleep with the head elevated. It's just easier this way but I miss the closeness we had with our queen. I originally bought twin xl fitted sheets and a king flat. I bit the bullet and went back to the place I bought the bed and bought the ones they sold for $205. Way to much money but really so worth buying one made for an adjustable bed. They have "wings" in the center that stay tucked in when the head or foot are raised And the top sheet is extra wide for the same reason. I just wash and remake the bed using these but found this place online that sells cheaper. They also sell xl twin bedding so you could have your own bedding. I have bought from them yet but saved the info

https://www.doubleupsforbeds.com/standard-top-adjustable-sheet-set-one-bottom-design-200-thread-count/

CJ Mac thanked Cheryl Smith
  • homechef59
    5 years ago

A couple of observations that might prove helpful.

If you decide you want one of those extra long upholstered headboards that have been pictured, check Craig's List. When I was shopping for a headboard, I found a person with their own custom headboard manufacturing business. Most of their business was for designers, but they made them directly for individuals, too. So, there's a source for that.

If you miss the warmth of the second heating source in the bed, get a heated mattress pad. While we share a king-sized bed, our heated mattress pad has individual controls on each side. I have extremely cold hands and feet at night. I turn my side of the bed pad on about 20 minutes before I crawl in bed. It's toasty warm and helps me fall asleep faster. Even though it has a timer, I turn it off once I get into bed. It's an enormous luxury. So, get one of those for yourself, whatever configuration you decide upon. I purchased one of these for my father-in-law after my mother-in-law passed. He said it really helped him fall asleep and it kept him warm as he aged.

My parents went to separate sleeping arrangements due to my father's snoring. After some discussion, he said that it hurt his feelings when my mother got up in the middle of the night to move to the guest room. He would rather she start out in the guest room. He was very aware that his snoring was an issue for the entire household. This episode taught me early on how important good sleep was to a relationship. I treasure my sleep.

Many years ago, my late mother-in-law gave me some marital advice. Two things contribute to a happy marriage, a king-sized bed and two bath rooms. Boy, she was right.

CJ Mac thanked homechef59
  • mainenell
    5 years ago
    @partim and @missie Roger glad to have someone else admit publicly that they prefer to sleep in a separate room from their spouse. My husband even admitted that he doesn’t think he could sleep with me in the bed.@missie, maybe your husband needs the smaller bedroom?
  • Missi (4b IA)
    5 years ago

Oh he does for sure-we actually should round robin the three bedrooms and all move, buuut he refuses. So, she and I make do.

• CJ Mac
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Just an update: I asked my husband how he was sleeping and he says he's finally getting used to it and actually sleeping better. I still have back pain, but it's my own fault for not exercising enough. Even with the pain, I sleep much better than before and I don't wake up throughout the night as I always used to. It's like a dream come true to snuggle the sheet/blanket up around my neck and not have it pulled off 10 seconds later. ;-)

I came back to take the advice of DLM2000-GW and see if folks can help me search for any kind of bedspreads/coverlets that can fit these rather tall beds. I will create a new post on that.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

Don't make a new post. Everyone will see your current post via a notification

• CJ Mac
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Oops, Jan, I already did. I will cut and paste it here. Think I should delete the new one?

We have 2 twin XL adjustable beds with the legs set at 13" from the floor (easier on the joints to not have to bend so far). I tried one set of highly-rated twin XL spreads from Wayfair, but they were ridiculously short on the sides--and I REALLY don't want a dust ruffle. I'm also not into that IKEA look with all the bedding tucked in so you can see the base and the legs (I have a few boxes I like to keep under the bed).

So here are the dimensions I just measured: for the length, somewhere from 95-102" and for the width, 73-78". Those minimum measurements are from the top/head of the bed over the bottom to 4" below the base. And the width is 4" below the base from each side. Longer would be preferable, but I'm not sure I'll be able to find it.

Our old king bedspread fits fine in the length: I thought that perhaps I could buy 2 and then cut to fit--but the corners are going to be a problem as they will stick out much further than they should, and I'm not a good enough seamstress to figure out how to fix that.

This is the one I ordered from Wayfair: I do like that simple look, but again, it was much too short all around, and the color was way off. I was going to exchange taupe for the sky blue or ivory if it had fit. https://www.wayfair.com/bed-bath/pdp/eldon-reversible-quilt-set-lfmf4294.html?piid=29587845%2C29587840

Don't really like Wayfair's non-return return policy, so would prefer to shop somewhere else.

Thanks for your help!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

. I have NO clue what you mean by no return at Wayfair. They take everything back within 30 days. And you would have a MUCH easier time, simply putting two twin xl dust skits on the beds. Less expensive too.

I keep telling you the same thing. Keep the DECORATIVE bed cover as a king size . Use twin XL for that which covers each of you and provides warmth. You are making it harder than need be, maybe? : ) Doing that, might mean you simply buy a king bedspread, and get to skip the dust skirt you loather. A bedSPREAD is different than coverlet or comforter sizing.

• CJ Mac
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I misspoke: I ordered thinking they had free shipping and returns as I get from most places, but the Wayfair rep I spoke to when I wanted to make a return told me that it was a new policy that you have the option of keeping the store credit for the entire amount, or losing a portion to return shipping. Since I have no history with them, I didn't want to do the store credit option.

Oh, and I thought they could have returned the entire amount because the color was absolutely nothing like the color shown online, nor did the bedspread come anywhere near to fitting a twin XL--even if we wanted it short.

But let's please not get into a discussion about the pros and cons of Wayfair. I'd rather look elsewhere.

• partim
    5 years ago

@CJ Mac, am i correct that the 2 XL twin beds are not pushed together, but have the night table in between?

Glad you are sleeping better!

• Missi (4b IA)
    5 years ago

I had no idea there was a difference in sizing between comforter/bedspread etc.

• partim
    5 years ago

I think your best bet will be to buy a bedspread with the correct length (a king) and make it narrower. To avoid re-doing an edge seam (which can be a lot of work and may not always look professional), alter it instead like this with 2 seams for each bedspread.

Most bed covers these days aren't made to cover the box spring as well as the mattress. I think you'll have trouble finding an XL Twin that is wider than the current style of just covering the mattress itself. Going with a King to start with, you'll have lots of selection in color etc.

CJ Mac thanked partim
  • cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    5 years ago

Oh my. Someone seems to be way too invested in Wayfair and criticism of another who would prefer to shop elsewhere. Dial it back down a bit, Jan.

CJ Mac thanked cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
  • kaye1951
    5 years ago

Comforters and coverlets reach the top of a bed skirt. Bedspreads touch the floor. I hope this helps clarify any confusion.

• Aphaea
    5 years ago

J Mac, have you looked at Brylane Home? I bought my emerald bedspread there and it is huge! While I have a queen I did order a king because I hate short things--and I won't use a bedskirt either because of the necessity of turning/flipping the mattress monthly. Anyway, it spreads out and I do want to get someone to trim it. But I would rather have it long than too short. And it is mostly that things are too short.

Anyway, here's the link: https://www.brylanehome.com/search?q=bedspread&prefn1=size&prefv1=TWIN%7CKING

I bought the Amelia bedspread, though the emerald is no longer offered. Let me know what you think of any of these.

CJ Mac thanked Aphaea
  • CJ Mac
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Jan, I would rather you not follow this thread. You seem to like to argue.

Partim. that is a brilliant idea! I could definitely do that! I wondered how I could possibly make the edge look professional. The bedspread I have from IKEA from years ago would be perfect, but I'm sure they don't carry it anymore. I actually bought 2 because I liked it so much. Only just started using the second one when the first one got too old and snagged. Now I wish I had bought 3. But I guess I can use one of them for a trial run. (Oh and yes, these beds are separated by a nightstand.)

And kaye, I know I'm looking for bedspreads, but it's been surprising to me that many store sites don't even have that as a search option. I get quilts, comforters, and coverlets, but no bedspread option.

Aphaea, those bedspreads look gorgeous. I will have to study that site and see if any might work. Thanks!

• Aphaea
    5 years ago

You are welcome, CJ. If you see a coverlet or quilt you like but want it to come to the floor, consider buying larger (like I do). Every place will have measurements. So measure your bed's width and length and add the length of from the floor to the top of the bed, then add the numbers together. You may be able to get a double or queen that works exactly the way you want.

By the way, when I was looking for bedspreads, I put it into parenthesis like this: "emerald bedspread". Sure, other things came up but I got nice returns on these. The parenthesis (in case you don't know" tell Google that you only want to see that exact search word or phrase, even if it is a single word such as "bedspread."

CJ Mac thanked Aphaea
  • SapphireStitch
    5 years ago

CJ Mac, Overstock.com sells bedspreads. I think they get things from a lot of different manufacturers, so quality won’t always be the same. When I order from them I try to pick items that have lots of reviews so I can get more information about the product.

CJ Mac thanked SapphireStitch
  • Nancy Walton
    5 years ago

CJ, try to find a full/queen size bedspread. It should fit your bed perfectly. Wenever you see "quilt" or "comforter" in the description it means it will only cover the mattress and boxspring, as it is meant to be used with a dust ruffle. You need to look for the word "bedspread," then it is meant to go to the floor.

CJ Mac thanked Nancy Walton
  • Cheryl Smith
    5 years ago
    As others have said sometimes buying a larger size comforter would work as a bedspread. As you did with your own queen. I would measure the bed with the drop you want and look for something with a measurement between what you determine is the least acceptable and the largest you can go. Good luck.
    CJ Mac thanked Cheryl Smith
  • Oliviag
    5 years ago
    I have twin XL adjustable beds in our downsatairs guest room . Usually, set up as a king, but on gliders, so I can move them apart as twins. especially for my sil and disabled daughter, who prefer to sleep in same room. one nightstand ( light) and one stool, easily moved.
    Everyone loves the adjustable beds, especially those with issues ( respiratory, back issues, restless leg, etc..) . actually, I do too, as I sleep in the guest room if I'm having issues with my back.
    for the twin setup, I have full/ queen quilts and twin XL sheets. I find best selection on twin xl sheets at TJ Maxx and home goods in late summer, when kids go back to college, as college dorm beds are twin xl.... full/queen is good anytime, but I like to shop wher I can return locally. tjmaxx online, Nordstrom, macys, etc...
    best of luck, and I'm glad you have found a solution that works for you.
    CJ Mac thanked Oliviag
  • partim
    5 years ago

Aphaea All the bedspreads you linked to look like the right size.
    https://www.brylanehome.com/search?q=bedspread&prefn1=size&prefv1=TWIN%7CKING

CJ Mac thanked partim
  • partim
    5 years ago

If you do decide to alter a king size coverlet or quilt, you don't even need to remove the excess fabric from the 2 seams if it's not very heavy. Just fold it in, and topstitch it to the side.

CJ Mac thanked partim
  • kaye1951
    5 years ago

CJ, I should have tagged MissyRogge in my comment regarding comforter, coverlet, and bedspread sizes. I agree, bedspreads aren't readily available....who knew?!!! Yes, Partim's idea is great! I was thinking of you the other night when I was watching Young Man With a Horn (Kirk Douglas, Lauren Bacall) and in their Hollywood glam bedroom the twin beds were separated by a gorgeous table and shared a wonderful tufted headboard spanning the beds and reaching down to the floor. I actually backed up the recording so I see where the headboard stopped under the table! I believe a previous poster mentioned a shared headboard and this one was fabulous! Am I the only one who sometimes misses the dialogue because I am so busy looking at the wonderful decor in movies from the forties/early fifties?!

CJ Mac thanked kaye1951
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    5 years ago

Would something like these solve the problem of moving/making/changing the beds?

There is a lock.

There are some good questions/answers to address concerns.

https://www.amazon.com/Set-Locking-Frame-Casters-Sockets/dp/B007JXBGZY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1544566679&sr=8-4&keywords=caster+wheels+bed+frame

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    5 years ago

We sleep in separate double beds. My husband is all over the place at night. He hits tennis balls; jogs; shoots baskets, and one night (he once played pro ball) he came up off the mattress, both arms straight up in the air and almost knocked me out of bed. I asked, “did you catch it”? “Yes", he responded, “this time”. We went shopping the next day.

CJ Mac thanked JudyG Designs
  • CJ Mac
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Wanted to follow up today because I finally got bedspreads that just came today (from LL Bean). I had tried different colors and the one I was sure wasn't going to work ended up working perfectly. My husband didn't want me replacing our eggplant colored curtains, but because of a couple hangings in the bedroom, the two colors end up working all right together.

Now one side of the room looks very plain and the other side too busy. I'd really like to get the IKEA bookcases out of there but have no place to put all the decorative items. Need some kind of curio cabinet in the living room (open shelves will tempt our cats too much).

Yes, we're Catholic, and NO we don't worship any of those pictures/statues. (Just in case any of you are freaking out. ;-)

Thanks for your help!

• SapphireStitch
    5 years ago
    That color works really well with the rest of the room and makes the overall feel of the room soothing and calm. I agree with you that having less on that one side of the room would help to quiet it. Don’t rush to put anything above the beds; your decor is so personal that if you stick a picture up there that isn’t meaningful to you it will stick out awkwardly.
    CJ Mac thanked SapphireStitch
  • Aphaea
    5 years ago

Great choice on the bedspreads, CJ. Really well done. I agree with Sapphire; do not rush trying to put anything on the walls yet. Live with this for a while and let yourself unconsciously discover what will work for you. I thought I might suggest your consider one (long) gallery wall above your two beds and the nightstand but given what's on your dresser I don't think that's the best idea. Give it time. You've gotten this far. You now have time on your side.

CJ Mac thanked Aphaea
  • Irene Morresey
    5 years ago
    Love the shared headboard concept, interesting
    CJ Mac thanked Irene Morresey
  • Susie .
    5 years ago
    I do think headboards or a shared headboard would help balance that side of the room. Maybe a pillow or a sham in an accent color to add interest.
    CJ Mac thanked Susie .
  • CJ Mac
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Do you all think this is a crazy idea? I spent most of the day rearranging the furniture. Took the 2 IKEA bookcases away from the dresser side and tried them as headboards--sort of.

Thought I was on to something brilliant until I discovered/remembered that one is the older model which had slightly thicker sides and so stands about one inch higher than the . Argh!

(I moved the beds closer to each other which my husband likes. Will likely look for 2 adjustable lamps.)

I know we could go get another of the newer style, but I don't know about how far the beds stick out from the wall now. Not that we were using that middle space, though.

P.S. Yes, all of our curtains hang too high. We need a handyman to adjust them as my husband and I are incapable of hanging anything correctly. (Especially when not all the draperies are exactly the same length.)

• fifamom
    5 years ago

looks nice and if it works for you that is what is important.. how about a mirror above the chest of drawers and some floating shelves for the decorative items? hang the cross above the middle of the bed between the two; if you get desk lamp style lamps that adjust you can put one each behind the bed so it is above you with some other decorative items on the bookcase; a few taller items to as they get lost behind the pillows.. the bedspreads are very nice as well.. happy decorating... also maybe a small narrow bench between the windows?

CJ Mac thanked fifamom
  • CJ Mac
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Good ideas, fifamom!

• kaye1951
    5 years ago

I, too, have a bookcase acting as a headboard. It was what worked for the low wall on a sloping ceiling. I used lamps similar in height to your lamp on each end of the "headboard" that are perfect for reading in bed. Also, you could put one inch blocks under the lower bookcase to make the surface even. Your room is certainly coming together nicely!

CJ Mac thanked kaye1951
  • Mimi
    2 months ago

I want this soooo bad!!!! it just makes sense!! I have toddlers and im exhausted. i just want my own bed!! my husband sleeps quickly and wakes easily and im a little worm- takes me time to get settled.

• njmomma
    2 months ago

@Mimi you can have this!

If you scroll up you can read what I wrote years ago.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

Yes, you can slide twin beds apart, yes you can butt twin beds together.

Two people sleeping in a king, are actually each sleeping in an xl twin bed. If you're in a queen? You each have crib width, same length as a king.

Before any change of beds?

Go away for two days, leave the toddlers with Dad : ) Come back renewed/ energized and declare you'd love to go clubbing , dancing and drinking!

See what happens........?

LOL. I'm not touching this- scroll up to the beginning and see why lol

• Mimi
    2 months ago

I don’t club or drink- prob probably just hang out with CJ Mac and say my rosary 🤣

These pictures are great! im going to do this in time- right now we have to finish our build. I measured I have room for two fulls. these pictures will help me explain to the hunby what we will do. He works nights- so I am sure he will like this areangement! Here I come 1950’s!!! haha!

• mainenell
    2 months ago

Consider getting extra long full size beds. It is a new size. Not anymore expensive than a regular length full, but not available in all styles. Also takes longer to get. Bedding is available. You’ll just have to hunt around a bit. (That is actually how I found out about full long mattress size. Full long was a sheet size and triggered a question for me.)