Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
apjinaurora

Azul platino granite and pits

Amy
7 years ago

We just had our counters installed this morning. It was a redo from September when we had counters installed but the measuring wasn't done properly. The measuring was fine this time, but we ended up with Azul platino granite (couldn't find a similar slab to what we had before so I picked something in the same color family). The Azul platino is very pretty, it has a lot of sparkly specks. That is also part of my question--almost every sparkly piece is a little pit that I can feel with my finger. Some are deeper or larger than others, but it's all over the counter, not just like one little pit. Is that normal? Is that going to cause problems later? Was I supposed to know about this and I'm just SOL? Or is it not that big of a deal? When I picked the slab I didn't really touch it much bc I would be the person to knock over every single piece of granite like dominos. My other counter was as smooth as glass. Any input is appreciated. I hate to find something wrong but I figured I need to make sure it is all right this time.

I can't really get a good picture of the pits but I'll throw up an "in progress" picture for fun. Still have a ways to go but was waiting for the counter before doing the backsplash and painting.

Comments (26)

• mo mad
    7 years ago

I found the same with a full slab island in colonial white. I am interested to see a PROs answer to this question. My island looks dirty to me in the sunlight. Good luck!!

Amy thanked mo mad
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 years ago

did you ask the stone company or fabricator? I've never heard of "tiny raised dots"on what is supposed to be a smooth granite. Perhaps an overspray of something else landed on the stone? You may ask the fabricator if it can be polished off. Start w/them first. (them being the stone yard and fabricator)

Amy thanked Beth H. :
  • Amy
    Original Author
    7 years ago

It's actually little indentations, like a ton of tiny chips or jagged gouges, on nearly all the sparkly specks on the whole counter.

I haven't asked the stone people yet, this was already a redo and I'm not a granite expert, so I just want to have my facts straight.

• leelee
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I'm guessing but would think since this is a natural stone you are feeling little pits due to the sparkles or flecks of mica or quartz crystals embedded in the granite. Your stone has been polished already. It is just how your granite looks and feels. Granite is very hard and I can't imagine this causing a problem sometime later.

Amy thanked leelee
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 years ago

If its embedded, then it would be raised. she's saying it's 'pitted', like it was sandblasted and left tiny holes. That's weird. I have little pits and such on my granite as well, but it's only here and there. Is yours consistent on the entire piece? get a strong light and magnifying glass and see if you can see anything.

Amy thanked Beth H. :
  • PRO
    Prestige General Contractors
    7 years ago

Pitting is normal but slabs are usually treated with a resin to fill them during the fabrication process. You shouldn't be able to notice them on a finished, polished slab.

Amy thanked Prestige General Contractors
  • virginia lynn
    7 years ago

Have you called them to ask about the pits? I would not be pleased with it

Amy thanked virginia lynn
  • Amy
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'll what I can come up with for a picture, it wasn't easy to capture.

• jmorawiec
    7 years ago

I'm sorry you're going through this. I'm about to have my counters installed. My fabricator went to the granite yard with me and warned me against certain slabs. There was one that I really liked because of all the sparkle. He told me he'd install it, but I'd have to sign a waiver stating I was made aware of the pitting that would occur. He also said he'd never come fill the pits, because it will never stop.

Amy thanked jmorawiec
  • Amy
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Another way to describe it is like most sparkle specks are rough and slightly depressed?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 years ago

that looks like the actual quartz, in the granite, that has cracked and actual pieces have fallen out. That is totally unacceptable. something happened during fabrication if you never saw this while picking out the slab. Was it like that when they put it in?

I know sometimes they can coat it w/resin, much like they do a crack in a windshield. All those pits and cracks will trap dirt and bacteria. That's a big NO WAY! What the heck is with this place you are dealing with? I would to crazy town on the manager of this place. and I can tell you, this stone you have is a cheap, messed up piece of stone. They are trying to cheap out on you.

Amy thanked Beth H. :
  • Amy
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The picture is zoomed, so it's not like a dinner size plate crater. More like the tip of my pinky finger? But still there is a lot of them. And I just didn't feel the surface of the stone very thoroughly when I picked it out, my other stone was completely smooth and I didn't know i needed to check for that.

• PRO
    Cinar Interiors, Inc.
    7 years ago

All natural stone will have some form of pitting, some more so than others. Picking a color is one thing but actually examining the slab for said imperfections is a must to avoid situations as this.

Amy thanked Cinar Interiors, Inc.
  • lacey58
    7 years ago

I would contact another granite place and ask them what that kind of granite is supposed to be like, with all the pits. I don't think it should be,. We had Bianco Antico and wasn't happy with it because when you ran your hand over certain areas, it would catch your skin on it. Yet it was all polished and sealed. I have since moved so didn't have to deal with it for long.

Amy thanked lacey58
  • Amy
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I think I will have to at least ask someone else. Lacey58--that's how this is, when you run your hand over you can feel all these rough spots. Here is another example of a good sized rough spot--the sparkly spot is like a little rough chunk missing. That's my index finger.

• lacey58
    7 years ago

I just spoke to my son as he works in the granite business and he said that there are different grades of stone and some do have natural pits. And as one person said here, that natural stone slabs are made up of multiple minerals fused together....granite slabs are cut from granite, it is not fused together.

Amy thanked lacey58
  • lacey58
    7 years ago

That's how mine was only larger than your finger.

Amy thanked lacey58
  • 467181pbj
    7 years ago
    I have one year old azul palantino counters and there are no pits at all!
    Amy thanked 467181pbj
  • raineycarole
    7 years ago
    If you picked out the slab and got the one you picked, you're stuck with the imperfections.
    Amy thanked raineycarole
  • User
    7 years ago

Absolutely NORMAL.

Amy thanked User
  • Amy
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks for your honest answers. I am just leery at this point, when the last ones were measured wrong we got a big song and dance about it and I really needed to know whether or not it was a big deal or not. I feel kind of dumb now, we go through all this headache and argument to get them redone and now there are pits all over-- bc they weren't noticeable just by looking and I didn't go around rubbing all the slabs, just looked at them... I didn't notice them today until I was touching the counters after they were installed. Holy moly, I had no idea granite counters were so complicated.

Thank you again for all your responses.

• User
    7 years ago

I don't have this particular granite, but mine is like this also.

It doesn't bother me and I always considered it to be part of granite.

We have had ours for about 9 years and it hasn't gotten any worse than when it was installed.

Amy thanked User
  • Amy
    Original Author
    7 years ago

That's good to know yours hasn't gotten worse!

• emmarene9
    7 years ago

I'm sorry about the pitting problem but I have to say it is very pretty and your kitchen looks nice.

Amy thanked emmarene9
  • Amy
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks!