Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stephen_edwards12

Blue / White Cabinets - New Kitchen 2017!

Stephen Edwards
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Just completed a kitchen reno in our 3br condo. Hardest thing was finding the right color for the base cabinets to create that dark blue effect. Turns out you need to go gray!

Fixture are satin brass finish.

Countertops are real concrete.

Comments (20)

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago

Nailed it with that color, especially coupled with the hardware and countertop!

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    6 years ago

Fantastic job! Your kitchen looks amazing. You have a great eye. Congratulations!!

• Katya Lane
    6 years ago

What SW paint color did you end up using for the bottom cabinets?

• Stephen Edwards
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Inkwell

• jj610
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Looks Fantastic! How deep are the cabinets in the pantry? I am planning on doing something similar in ours.

• Stephen Edwards
    Original Author
    6 years ago

12"

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6 years ago

Very nicely done. Only one critique.........the column. Is that wood? Might consider whitewashing the column so it relates to something in the area.

• Stephen Edwards
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I appreciate the suggestion but we do not like the whitewashing look.

• Katya Lane
    6 years ago

Wish I had considered inkwell. I was in same dilemma re dark blue/gray color. Loved BM hale navy, but I had to use a SW color and couldn't match. I went with anchors aweigh, though it seems more blue than hale navy, especially with sunlight. I guess for others still grappling with color choice, do you feel inkwell appears more blue or more dark gray? Can't quite tell from photos of your new kitchen.

• Stephen Edwards
    Original Author
    6 years ago

We had a sample made of the Anchors Aweigh and it was still too blue. No blue looked blue when put on the wood and finished. The Inkwell looks like a dark navy blue in almost every lighting scenario I've seen.

• Kate Houvener
    6 years ago

Thanks so much for sharing your journey in picking out the right dark blue color. My cabinet maker also uses just SW colors and I just tried the Anchors Away...too much blue.

• h b
    5 years ago

I am using inkwell on my lowers and island as well!!!' White quartz counters. White subway backsplash. Antique brass fixtures over island. So glad to see inkwell looking navy and not too black.

• Colette
    5 years ago
    Love it!
  • K R
    5 years ago
    Very cool kitchen! Love the pantry too.
  • Heather Skold
    5 years ago

Looks fantastic. I'm in the same dilemma right now: awaiting cabinet sample in Anchors Aweigh (and worried it will be too blue). I currently have a sample of both In the Navy and Naval.

• PRO
    Home Art Tile Kitchen & Bath
    5 years ago

Absolutely beautiful design! I love your courage and readiness to experiment to get the look you love. It seems you got just the look you were looking for.

• Patty Martens
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I know this is well over a year since you did those cabinets but I wanted to thank you for all the research you did to find that color. I am going to be using it to do a kitchen island in an ocean front condo. I'm still undecided whether to do all the lowers in the same color or go with the white I'm planning for the tops. What I'd like to know is what finish you used? The kitchen I'm doing is east facing with ceiling to floor windows that has all day sun due to the ocean/sun reflection and I'm not sure about the finish I should use. Any responses will be greatly appreciated. By the way, we purchased the condo to be used as a vacation rental so durability is a must.

• wlasay
    4 years ago

Yes! Thank you so much for the research. I had settled on inkwell for my island and this just confirmed it!!

• Jenny RGB
    3 years ago

Gorgeous kitchen! How have your concrete counters held up?