Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jim1961_gw

Doggie Days of Summer Seasonal Thread.... PART Five (5)

I've started another new [Summer[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/doggie-days-of-summer-seasonal-thread-part-two-dsvw-vd~5384518) thread...

Hi everyone,

I can not wait to see everyones great rosy summer photos and read the awesome discussions!

Just have fun everyone!

CC

Comments (204)

• maryc_gwSoCA/USDA10
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Lilyfinch - love your Moonlight Romantica. I saw one last April and it called to me out of a field of roses. Yours is even lovelier. And St. Ethelburga is beauteous. In fact they all are but those two really caught my eye.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Wonderful photos Lilyfinch & Ann! Love seeing everyones pics! :-)

I got a new Potentilla this year so yea it was probably me...lol... titian1 .....

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    5 years ago

Add me to the list of admirers, Lilyfinch. Your Moonlight Romantica is a beautiful yellow. I have Moonlight Arborose, and it is also a softer yellow. Guess I need the Meilland Moonlight, too.

I hear ya, Ann. I will be disappointed if Palatine is only selling Augusta Luise locally.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    5 years ago

Me, too, Lily. I love your Moonlight Romantica with its soft, soft yellow. What an outstanding color. I remember years ago when I first saw a photo of St Ethelburga on Peter Beales website. I said to myself, I have to grow that lovely rose--I'm still waiting to do that. Yours is perfection. I think Beales or Harkness hybridized it. I used to know the story of its odd name. Does anyone remember that? Lily, your hardscape is outstanding and adds so much to presentation of your roses.

Does potentilla bloom very much Jim? I think I want one, too.

Ann, that's a gorgeous Prince you've got there. I love his color. I hope you get Augusta, too. I'm sure she would do so well in California, and you wouldn't have to worry about winters. She'd probably be about 8 feet tall for you--ha.

Trish, so you think I have will power? Hahahaha. Sorry. I have zilch willpower. That's why I constantly eat ice cream. I have had a thing for green pistachio ice cream since I was about three years old. I can't tell you how many cartons of that stuff I've gone through this last year. It's not always available around here, so when it is, I buy. You have more forebearance than I do when it comes to neighbors. I would certainly mention something to this woman, who is probably about my age-ha. We need reining in. I can't imagine her gardener going onto someone else's property to poison a plant. She must have planted hops vine which is rampant. Yikes. I was going to mention that the little pies Samantha made were an actual Hawaiian dessert with an Hawaiian name (can't remember it), and the birthday girl knew the name right off--she's ethnic Hawaiian.

Is it time for ice cream or little chocolate pies? Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    5 years ago

• titian1 10b Sydney
    5 years ago

Diane, pistachio ice-cream is my favourite too! I first had it on holiday in the South of France (doesn't that sound swanky) when I was nine. It was the holiday where we discovered Coq au Vin and Pommes Dauphine. It was also the holiday where my parents got me to smuggle two packets of cigarettes under my straw hat through the French/Spanish border, guarded by Spaniards with guns! We were on foot.

The gardener did it from her side. He's the same gardener I'm now going to have. Maybe I can get him to poison her vine!

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    5 years ago

Trish, what a coincidence about our love of pistachio ice cream. I was three years old and living in Oregon when I saw "the green ice cream" at a drugstore lunch counter, and pestered my mother for the stuff. I think the druggist just gave me some to shut me up. I was hooked. I adore almond flavoring. I, too, smuggled the ice cream over the Oregon border into Idaho--haha. That's quite a story you have to tell. Mine is so mundane. Did you parents know they were "contributing to the delinquency of a minor", as we say in the States. Was this in the 1950s? That sounds like a wonderful holiday, though. Yes, that gardener should be good at poisoning vines. Go for it! This sounds like the makings of a good mystery novel.

Here's hoping this posts. I wrote a nice comment to flowers on Jim's Plum Perfect thread, and the post disappeared. This keeps happening to me. Gaaa. Diane

• titian1 10b Sydney
    5 years ago

Diane, oh yes, my parents knew! And it would have been in '58. My terror of the guns (heightened by the knowledge of the cigarettes under my hat) has cemented the scene in my memory! It was a great holiday. We danced in the square, where everyone gathered on a Sunday evening. It was surrounded by cafes, with a bandstand in the middle. A huge congo line formed when the band played, and people just gathered all the onlookers into it. The French know how to live. We were staying in a caravan, and one night there were 70 mph winds that threatened to blow it over. In the next caravan were a Dutch family, with a girl about my brother's age, who he took a great interest in. She spoke 4 languages.

I've just opened the preview of Big Little Lies, and I think I'm going to have to download this one as well.

I was just out in the garden, and my neighbour called out to me. First time I've seen her since her op for bowel cancer. She has lost a lot of weight, and says she can't think of anything she would like to eat. She does add to my enjoyment of being in the garden, as we often chat, and she comments on how nice my garden looks, so I'll never say much, but maybe I'll hint gently about the vine!

My father (every time we had the stuff!), used to say "I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream." Is that one you heard?

5 years ago

What a pitifully boring life I've led compared to you two. I've never smuggled anything or feared being shot.

Diane, I'm sorry about your post. I've only lost one post and photo during this houzz debacle, so I guess I've been lucky.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    5 years ago

Yes, you've been lucky, flowers, because you've haven't been bad and smuggled things. It's karma, you know. For smuggling things--which I haven't really tried. I'm sure if you think hard, you can find something awful from your childhood to tell us. If you remember, we're here waiting to read about it. Actually, when I was five, I smuggled my precious silver dollar to kindergarten. Where I lost it. I'm sure some other kid availed himself of my silver dollar. I should have gotten heck from parents, but they were quite nice about it. Karma had already struck, though, when I lost the thing. I've never forgotten that. I think I need to go to bed and stop babbling.

Trish, what a life to live, in a town with such a square. You are so right--the French know how to live. I presume a caravan is a trailer or RV. I remember that word from one of my Brit mysteries years ago. To me, it sounds like gypsies. That would make for an exciting holiday, too. But the wind sounds awful, especially in a flimsy RV (recreational vehicle). Those Dutch girls...My cousin married a Dutch woman while he lived (business) in Amsterdam. He still lives there and had a family--the whole bit. Now he's one who has lived an exciting life......I'm glad you're going to read Big Little Lies. It's quite funny in parts, so all is not deadly serious. Your neighbor has been through a lot, so she's forgiven by karma. I think your ice cream saying was invented by Americans. I grew up knowing it, and my step dad said it all the time (and thought he was being original). He ate ice cream every night, and put half and half on his cereal every morning. He lived to be 88. So much for bad fat. Diane

5 years ago

My dear old daddy ate like that. A biscuits and gravy kind of guy. Ice cream wasn't complete without pie on the side. He was just shy of 99 when he died last year with no medical issues. He introduced me to sugar sandwiches when I was a toddler. Butter and sugar on white bread. Kind of makes me gag, now.

Are there still places with a town square and a bandstand? Now, that sounds like a Hallmark movie set for Lavenderlace.

It also brings to mind an old movie, Mrs. Miniver, set in England during the war. Roses are woven into the story with the annual rose show held at the town square and the winners announced from the bandstand. The winning rose was named after the heroine of the movie, Mrs. Miniver. Jackson and Perkins set to making this bit of fiction come true in developing a rose with that name. Mrs. Miniver was an important movie during the war for both the US and England. You can read how one man who was determined to find this long forgotten rose accomplished his mission just last year HERE.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    5 years ago

I can't wait to read about the Mrs Miniver rose, flowers. I've certainly heard of that movie, but I've never seen it. The lead actress won an Academy Award, I believe. When I was in New England the last time, quite a while back, the little towns still had town squares and were very pretty. In Idaho, things aren't too pretty as far as towns go. My mother used to say "why are Idaho towns so ugly?" Since my family has lived here forever (not anymore, though, since they've all scattered or passed away), I guess I can be critical. Our outdoors is great--it's just the towns, though Boise, a city, looks fine.

I remember eating popcorn as a cereal with sugar on it, just like my grandpa. People thought sugar was good for you! Of course, they burned off the calories with hard physical work, especially the farmers. Grandpa also ate bacon every day for breakfast. Yikes.

It's lovely today, and things are looking good--except for the burnt out shaps. We're hosting granddaughter Clare's boyfriend's family for a BBQ. I think I'll eat and beat a retreat.

Oops, I need to primp for the company. Diane

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    5 years ago

Wow, have I ever missed a lot going on. I worked 6 days this week, covered for my coworker sitting bedside with her dying father. So sad.

Today, I am moving one of my Gruss An Aachen. I just dont think it gets enough sun. But geeze, digging a hole in that rock pit, what a work out.

I dug a hole for Desdamona who should arrive soon

I am having a leg vein procedure on wed so I am trying to get a few things done.

Love the Moonlight Romantica!

Ann, I am not getting aan Augusta Louise, I have no room

I hope that everyone who wants one will get theirs.

As to a previous question, I have no idea how my post popped up. It said error, refresh

I gave up amd left

And then there it was, so weird.

My young Lycidis is new this year snd has only had a couple of in the dirt blooms. I keep cutting it

I cut Savannah back. She was so huge that YL was getting no sun.

Such gorgeous flowers today everyone

I hate to see it all come to an end.

YL standing pretty

5 years ago

By the way, I am almost afraid to get another Olivia because she might not be as stellar

Original Author
    5 years ago

smugglers....he he ...lol

Wonderful photos and conversation everyone!

My potentilla is new Nanadoll so I have no idea how much it blooms...Sorry...

5 years ago

Kristine, my Young Lycidas is 2 yrs. old and still getting wider than tall. A few canes look like they're going to start standing up, but so far, he is a ground cover. You must have something in your soil that mine is missing. I've given him so many bananas, he says 'not another banana!' when he sees me coming. I still love him a lot, though. I can't do too much complaining with him giving me those big, luscious blooms.

I couldn't find that green wire 18" flexible fencing - or anything like it - that Cynthia talked about in a post about keeping floppers upright. That's what he needs.

• DDinSB (Z10b Coastal CA)
    5 years ago

Hello Rose Friends! So sorry I've been AWOL. School starting has kicked my butt. I am exhausted. But I wanted to drop in and say hello. I tried to catch up, but I'm out of time! I have to walk the dog and get ready for bed. But all the talk of ice cream made me remember I have one more ice cream sandwich in the ffreezer (Julie's organic -- so yummy). Hope you all are doing well. We've had cooler weather, but I don't trust that it's fall. We typically get boiling hot heat in September and into October, sometimes even into November. BTW -- all you Annie's Annuals fans -- there is a 20% off sale right now. I just ordered a few things. Quite restrained for me.

Here are a few roses making me smile. I actually have a bud growing on Madam Anisette. Second year for the bush - got three blooms first spring, but none since then, so over a year waiting for blooms. Now I think I see ONE. Will keep you posted.

Love Song

My chantilly snaps

white licorice (can you believe that's my recovering-after-gopher-wars Cherry Parfait in the pot in the background? looks very pink)

Carding Mill. Looks more light peach in person. Too orange-y in this photo. You can see Yves Piaget just behind. Yves Piaget has made me super happy in the last month. Non-stop gorgeous blooms that are so fragrant. Too bad I've been too busy to enjoy the rose and post the photos!

Have a great week, all. And enjoy your Labor Day in the U.S. I don't have the day off. I would love to celebrate the American worker...but instead I *am* the American worker!

Original Author
    5 years ago

Wonderful Deborah! Great to see you post!

5 years ago

Pretty Lady rose is going crazy.

So many buds on her

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    5 years ago

I want to comment on the above gorgeous photos, so I'll be back, but I also want to pass on what I just read on Lisa's latest post--especially to Flowers. John (fig insanity) emailed Lisa and said that Palatine will be selling Augusta Luise starting Sept 10--but does this mean they'll ship later? Or do you have to drive to Canada to get AL? Still don't know. Diane

5 years ago

Perfect timing, Diane. I just checked to see of there were any updates about Palatine/Augusta Luise before I call. I would love a drive to Canada if they were in BC or Alberta - we're about 2 hrs. from the border. There will be some very disappointed customers if they don't ship.

5 years ago

Has anyone called to see what the deal is with AL ?

Flowers, I ztarted my Young Lycidis using a mini trellis from Walmart. It is about 3 ft tall. I also use short fence pieces to hold the branches up. It seems to be working to at least keep the flowers out of the dirt.

Deborah, so good to hear from you. Everything looks so lush. I love your love song.

Have a great school year!

5 years ago

I just checked -- Palatine will sell AL starting 9/10, and will ship starting November. They list AL for mail order only to USA at $21 something. Woohoo!

"Our Garden Centre is now open and bare root rose order deadline has passed. What you see online as available is what we have. Our next rose inventory will be harvest fall 2018. All rose lovers and gardeners alike are welcome to our garden centre and nursery. For bare root rose order our shopping cart will open again September 10 9:00am EST with the first shipment going out mid November."

Original Author
    5 years ago

Pretty Lady is looking good Kristine!

Original Author
    5 years ago

I have sad news!

Last year when I bought and planted Plum Perfect the rose bush came down with what I thought was Downy Mildew so since it was a small bush I stripped its of all leaves and sprayed canes with Greencure...

Fast forward to now! I've had many challenges with roses since I started growing them...Blackspot, bad insects, rose midge etc etc... I planted alot of roses and through trial & error I only try and keep the best... I've used organic ways to keep bad insects at a minimum...This year was a great year for us!

But NOW The Party is over! Last Friday morning I started seeing a ton of badly fungus leaves on Plum Perfect, MOTH, Julia Child, and now its spread to all our roses!

We are having a outbreak of DOWNY MILDEW!

I sent damaged rose leaf photos to our local AG office and they sent me a email Friday and were a bit concerned... This morning at 9am a MASTER GARDNER Woman and a gentleman came here and collected leaf samples...By 11 am it was confimed that what we had is indeed DOWNY MILDEW and it's spreading like wildfire to our roses!

The AG OFFICE is going to draw up a preventive SPRAY plan for me BUT I am no spray so I have no idea what I'm going to do! Or what I'm dealing with yet! They are sending me info on Downy Mildew so will study it and try to figure things out!

YEP, another challenge! This may be a big one CAUSE DM can wipe leaves out in a short period of time! Even on our D. Ko's!

I'll still be getting on this forum thread & I will try to keep my posts positive! Even though I feel like torching our roses...LOL..That would stop DM! lol

I think we all need to be careful when we buy roses & plants! I'm 99% sure Rose Midge got started from a rose purchase and now possibily DM! And of course the RRD scare!

Some cool clouds!

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    5 years ago

Oh, Jim, so too bad about the downy mildew. I had one plant get it and it never recovered. I removed Lamarque two years after the attack because it just limped along after the attack. I since got an Atmore Lamarque from RPs and it is doing great.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    5 years ago

That is tragic! I hope they can recover and you feel comfortable with the suggestions. Please feel free to pass them along to us in a dedicated post if you feel up to it. Judging from another post it seems as if Plum Perfect may be susceptible to it.

Your clouds are gorgeous. Ours were also amazing yesterday, but my pics can't begin to capture their ethereal beauty.

Click to enlarge the last pic as it's a panoramic.

5 years ago

gorgeous cloud photos, jim and vaporvac.

jim -- so sorry to hear about your downy mildew. you have been through the proverbial wringer.

5 years ago

Jim, I am so sorry about your rose issues darn it. I would be frustrated enought to start torching too

I hope that you can get solutions that you are comfortable with.

• titian1 10b Sydney
    5 years ago

Jim, that is the pits. And when a short while ago all you roses were looking amazingly healthy. Just miserable for you.

Original Author
    5 years ago

No need to feel bad for me....I'll get things figured out....My wheels are already turning...lol

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    5 years ago

Jim, will you be trying the hot water method for getting of the DM? I thought that sounded like a great solution if it really kills the darn stuff. You try it on a limited basis at first. Your cloud photos are almost scary--with those dark "figures". They went well with the awful mildew news. I even thought of the figures as the terrible mildew gods for a moment there. My imagination is too active.

Vapor, I love your cloud photos, too. The light is wonderful, and the clouds so unusual. We don't get that type here.

I don't want to bog down in medical issues, but I did meet with the surgeon today--a wonderful guy. No surgery for me for at least three months while I try some medication. I'm happy that I'll be able to be active in my garden this fall. Diane

5 years ago

What wonderful news, Diane! I would be happy dancing in the rose garden with a reprieve like that. Prayers for you that the meds work their magic and you never have to think about surgery again. I thought about you all day and was hoping to see some news before the day is over.

Jim, here you go again. At least the entire gardening season wasn't lost to rose troubles. Your roses were better than ever this year judging from your photos. You've always conquered these setbacks and you will again.

I've never given a thought to downy mildew since we get so few rose maladies because of the bone dry climate, but I think what I've been seeing on some of my roses look like the images online. We had an exceptionally wet spring, and I wasn't able to get some of the leaves pulled away from the base of roses early enough - that's the first and last time I try to winter protect!! From what I've read, that can lead to canker, which can lead to downy mildew. So I will be giving the hot water treatment to some of my roses, too. Just have to figure out a way to get the hot water out there. Wish I'd known about this when it was 100˚. The water in the hose was boiling.

• titian1 10b Sydney
    5 years ago

Diane, that is good news. Ditto what flowers said.

flowers, what a curse. I hope it isn't.

Jim, great to see your positive attitude still going strong.

vaporvac, your cloud photos are lovely, and so interesting. Your photos and Jim's are like the yin and the yang.

Original Author
    5 years ago

Cool cloud photos vaporvac!

Since I'm a bit pee-0-ed at our Plum Perfect (lol) I hooked our hose up to the hot water faucet and blasted Plum Perfect with some hot lava liquid...lol

Most of our other roses are in full bloom so not experimenting with any of those just yet...

By the way I use the hot water faucet that our washer connects too if anyone is wondering..lol...We have washer faucet hookups in our basement...One for hot and one for cold...

Sorry but no more full bush shots until next year...lol...Wouldn't want to scare anybody...lol

Little Fiji today...

5 years ago

Yay, got my vein procedure done and over with. It took half as long as expected. Im glad that it is dodone. For the next 2 days I have to walk 15 min. of every hour

I see lots of watering aanand deadheading in my future. I might as well use that 15 minutes wisely.

Original Author
    5 years ago

Awesome your procedure is done Kristine! I hope all goes well!

Yep might as well use the time wisely....

5 years ago

Gee, everybody's getting so healthy, having procedures done and taking care of themselves. You are all very encouraging and inspiring for those of us who put off seeing a doc unless it's something life threatening. Kristine, I'm happy to hear your ordeal doesn't have you off your feet, but to the contrary.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    5 years ago

Jim, I just saw you had a new post but when I came here I don't see it. Anyway, I'm the same way about pictures... I take a lot of them it's just that I rarely post them here. Most of them aren't really worthy just more for my own documentation. Kristine, I'm glad your procedure went well. Who knows, all this walking may start something new!

So I have a stupid joke. Why did the tomato go out with the grape? Because he couldn't get a date! Lol! :-)

Eating fresh dates for lunch today. It's the first time I've ever seen such a thing in the store and had to try it.

Original Author
    5 years ago

I post alot of pics for others but also for my own Documentation vaporvac...

We been having temps in the 90's since Sunday so it has slowed the spread of Downy Mildew...Some roses seem to be fighting it off but time will tell...

Original Author
    5 years ago

He couldn't get a date...LOL vaporvac.

Original Author
    5 years ago

I'm enjoying the hot weather while it lasts as thats keeping the DM from spreading so fast... BUT todays the last nice hot day (90's)... 70's/60's coming real soon along with rains...

Have a great day everyone! I have an appt. with my prostate doctor today! Hate this visit...lol

5 years ago

Well wishes and prayers

Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks! My prostate doctor appt went well...My PSA number came down so that is good!

Original Author
    5 years ago

Ok update on Downy Mildew outbreak!

Plum Perfect has losts all its leaves and so has Julia Child... Julia Child was already covered in blackspot so DM finished her off...

Miracle on the Hudson is between Julia Child and Plum Perfect... MOTH has lost a decent amount of leaves but still actually looks ok but getting bald spots now..

D. Ko's have some DM but not near as bad as other roses...

Earthsong has a fair amount of DM but still looks ok on the most part...

Little Fiji roses just now getting DM so they probably will be naked soon as they are small...

Carefree Celebration.... Has DM to a mild degree right now...

Raining, windy here today...Thunderstorms... Those DM spores are probably flying everywhere!

MOTH...Notice all the fallen leaves from DM....

On a good note...lol

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    5 years ago

I've just spent the last half hour trying to post a comment and photos. Then just photos. Nothing doin' with old messed up Houzz. I finally wrote an email to customer support (that's laughable because customer support doesn't really exist). I don't know how much longer I can put up with Houzz's cr*p.

Jim, I'm sorry to see all those dropped leaves, but most of your roses look quite good. I wish your hot weather would continue so you can enjoy September for a while longer. Do you think the hot water has helped at all? We've been close to breaking records for heat, but like you, in a few days we are actually going to drop down into the 70s, which last occurred in May. Still no rain and still at 7 inches for the year. Roses are not blooming well at all, darn it. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    5 years ago

I don't believe that my comment posted. Diane

Original Author
    5 years ago

Been having trouble also Make a post and it posts at a later date & time...lol

gOING TO BE COOL AND RAINY NEXT FEW DAYS nANADOLL...

Original Author
    5 years ago

Nanadoll the bush I sprayed with hot water was already to far gone with DM... So all the hot water did was to drop the leaves faster...lol..Its naked....I'm guessing the disease must be caught early for the hot water to work...????? I don't know???

I hope everyone is having a great day!

We have 200+ comments in this thread I'm thinking of starting another new fresh summer thread..

Original Author
    5 years ago

OK I STARTED A NEW SUMMER THREAD CALLED:

Doggie Days of Summer Seasonal Thread.... PART Six (6)

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/doggie-days-of-summer-seasonal-thread-part-six-6-dsvw-vd~5471164

Just like FRIDAY the 13th movies these parts just keep coming! LOL

Have a great day everyone and I'll see you in the new thread...Thanks!