Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goodnews1

exhaust hood

goodnews1
11 years ago
When you have cooking elements on an island, are you required to have an exhaust hood over it ?

Comments (23)

• marciebp
    11 years ago
    I am buying a house with a range in the island without any ventilation - cathedral ceiling, no downdraft. Does anyone have insight as how to live with this situation? Someone suggested a Dysan fan placed on the island facing a window.
  • marciebp
    11 years ago
    Thank you for your response. In California there are evidently no rules that govern indoor ventilation. I cannot believe that. Unfortunately, at this juncture, we do not have the luxury to move the range so it will remain there until we can afford to renovate. I believe the ceiling is too high for a hood. Where does that leave me?
  • PRO
    9H Builders
    11 years ago
    How high is the ceiling. You can do something custom to reach fairly tall unless it would look ridiculous in the room.
  • PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    11 years ago
    Goodnews1...the answer is yes. Marciebp...I beg to differ. California has adopted the IRC and adapted it for green building and earthquake (California Building Code - 2011). Your island cook top has to be pre -1987 to be approved without a ventilation system. New codes are implemented here every year. i don't know where you are getting this information, but it is erroneous. No ceiling is too high for a hood. The first floor restaurant of a skyscraper has a hood that vents out of the roof....the fan may be the size of a large swimming pool....but it exists. We have many options for tall ceilings. Most manufacturers have extensions that go to 12 feet and can be added to in the field. If the vent calculations do not work, an in line booster fan can be added or a remote fan with a higher CFM rating.
  • PRO
    Norm Walters Construction Inc.
    11 years ago
    I agree with Ironwood Builders about new codes. If you have been out of the industry for a year or more you may not be familiar with acceptable practices.
  • Lizabeth
    11 years ago
    Marciebp You say you are buying a house. If you have yet to close on it you might put this into the contract. Lender might not go for it and/or inspector may call it.
  • marciebp
    11 years ago
    The house was built in 1984. Nevertheless, I cannot imagine cooking in a kitchen without a vent. I am happy to hear that there are manufacturers that can help. Any suggestions?

Thanks again everyone.
  • Lizabeth
    11 years ago
    Marci , A lot will depend on the seller's motivation. We don't know if that is the original stove.
  • PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    11 years ago
    goodnews1, sorry for hijacking your post! marceipb, Most appliance manufacturers have island hoods available. They are usually bigger than the range below by inches. Style is for you to decide. Traditional? Custom wood is possible with a liner (Vent-a-Hood). Sleek and modern...Zephyr. Lots of stainless? Wolf or Viking. Just do a search on Houzz for island hood and then ask for product information.
  • marciebp
    11 years ago
    Lizabeth, I believe that it is the original stove. It is an "as is" sale so I don't have any room for negotiations.
  • Lizabeth
    11 years ago
    Then you are going to have to address it. As Ironwood says there are many on the market. Because Island hoods don't have a wall behind them you need larger cfm ( air pull) through them than with a hood hung on the wall. They also cost more than wall ones. You might run a comparison between moving stove to an exterior wall as it is much less expensive to install a vent that goes directly outside. Downdrafts are generally not effective .
  • marciebp
    11 years ago
    Sounds like an expensive undertaking.
  • PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    11 years ago
    I can't speak to expense without knowing so much more about the house. But....once the material is purchased (hood, extensions, etc...it needs line voltage power. Where that comes from is a tough question. Where are you buying in CA? I know you are in the process of purchasing so you don't have ready access. If and when the sale goes through, contact a local pro and discuss options. A general contractor will be able to tell you the cost of the two options. I could do it...but not sight unseen!
  • goodnews1
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks for all the helpful comments!
  • PRO
    Urbana Kitchens ~ Ellen Crystal ~ Designer
    11 years ago
    Best hoods, Faber, Zepher all have hoods suitable for island applications. many have power packs that can be installed in a decorative hood box (contemporary or traditional) depending upon style you prefer. consult with local contractor to coordinate the necessary ducting & power etc.

if views are a consideration then can be mounted up a little more than the typical 30" off cooking surface.

depending on cooking style & volume of air to be moved, a calculation will need to be done to determine optimum CFM. Also, look into requirements on make up air for your area. That can be a consideration when considering how much air will be moved & how fast
  • marciebp
    11 years ago
    Thank you, Ironwood Builder. I am in Fallbrook, CA. The house is quite unusual; with a spectacular view. I wasn't in the market for a new home but went with a friend who was. It was too small for her but good for me. I cannot get in until next week due to the owner's physical condition so I cannot get an accurate assessment. I can post some of what I have if you are interested.
  • PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    11 years ago
    Absolutely!
  • marciebp
    11 years ago
    This is the best I can do for now...sorry. I will get better images next week.
  • PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    11 years ago
    Great! Is there any way you can get far enough back to see the ceiling directly above the cook top? and the height of the ceiling at the center point of the cook top? I'll keep an eye out for you.
  • PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    11 years ago
    Maybe start your own post so we stop threadjacking goodnews1?
  • marciebp
    11 years ago
    So sorry goodnews1
  • PRO
    Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
    11 years ago
    Different rules apply depending upon where you live.

Generally you are required to have an exhaust fan to take away odours and smoke from your home.
    Electric stove - (space from cook top to bottom of range hood) is 18 to 24"
    Gas stove - (space from cook top to bottom of range hood) is 30-36"

Good luck!