Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reneesarno0522

flat screen tv shelf for the bedroom

reneesarno0522
11 years ago
We just hung our flat screen tv in the bedroom and we are not sure what type of shelf to use

Comments (24)

• Wally Miller
    11 years ago
    I would hire a professional to do the tv install
  • Darzy
    11 years ago
    I think I'd just buy a lingerie type chest and get a cord strip to hide the cords from the tv to the chest.

Sterling Pointe Lingerie Chest · More Info
  • dbh
    11 years ago
    Well, I would never put a flat screen TV on the wall. Everybody does it, but I just find that depressing. Such an eyesore-- and also reminds me of hospitals or cheap hotels. Can you have a cabinet made to hide the TV inside of it? Honestly, I have to wonder if this is a joke.

I was at a gorgeous house a week or so ago-- I mean, seriously-- Architectural Digest kind of gorgeous. And they had beautiful artwork on these walls, too (about 14 'ceilings), but in-between two large paintings, they had a big old flat screen TV hanging between the paintings. So incongruous and so weird--and, well, mind-boggling. The place was stunning. I have no idea why they wanted a big flat black rectangle as a showcase on the wall. It was beyond me.
  • Darzy
    11 years ago
    @dianahb..I know.. But they simply wanted a tv in their bedroom.
  • dbh
    11 years ago
    Darzy: Really? Well, I mean-- put a TV in the bedroom if you like, but get a smaller one and hide it in the corner somewhere-- or get a cabinet made to go against that same wall, and hide the thing in there, so you don't have to see it when you're not actually watching it. Maybe get a cabinet with a pull-out shelf, so the TV can come outside the cabinet when you watch it. Then, when not watching it, you can push the shelf back in, close the cabinet doors, and then the thing is hidden, and you're left with a nice piece of furniture.
  • Jean Tuck
    11 years ago
    maybe a black bookcase under tv would be useful and nice.
  • abbshel
    11 years ago
    Are those doors on either side of the TV closet doors or exit doors? If you put a chest there will it be in your way?
  • PRO
    User
    11 years ago
    PS: I have one in every room in my house including the bathrooms. I turn one as soon as I walk in the door. I even fall asleep to one that shuts it's self off. As soon as my eyes are open in the morning it is on again before I even get out of the bed. I don't think I'm alone on this one either. Almost everyone I know does the same thing.
  • dbh
    11 years ago
    A TV in every room of the house. Wow. Is it really a status thing? I had no idea. If so, I have to wonder what's happened to us. I go running and swimming, so I get my exercise outside. I don't own any video games. And I have two computers, so-- I don't know-- I guess I just use TV as-- you know-- TV, and I have only one. It's pretty well hidden in a bookcase (9 years old now, so I'm really out of touch).
  • chickinvic
    11 years ago
    I think the TV looks odd where it is - taking up the whole space between the two doors. I don't think it's ever going to look good in that spot. Is there anywhere else in the room you could put it?
  • PRO
    User
    11 years ago
    @dianahb What's really sad is that my 21yo nephew thinks I'm living in the dark ages. His systems are so high tech I can't even turn them on. He can also unlock his door and start his car with his cell phone. I'm a dinosaur ;-( lol
  • dbh
    11 years ago
    Well, then, I guess I'm from that era sometime before the dinosaur. I think I just like quiet, too. I can't imagine having all that stuff blaring at me and flickering at me all day long. Our next door neighbor has a TV I can see from across the street-- quite clearly. All I need is the audio to go with that. I have no idea how big it is, but they could charge admission to that.. I am, however, attached to my laptop and my iPhone, but I'd sure never hang either on the wall. ;)
  • PRO
    User
    11 years ago
    @dianahb I like you your funny!
  • 4resas
    11 years ago
    You can go to www.framemytv.com to get a mirror with frame that mounts in front of the tv. It's a mirror when the tv is off, and a framed tv when its on.
  • dbh
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Hey Darzy: Well, you're bringing whatever baggage you're carrying into the reading of my posts. That's how you came up with what you imagine I was actually saying. Totally off-base, but that's your issue, not mine.

As far as running and swimming and your comment, "What does that have to do with . . . " please read the poster above mine. I was commenting on his statement that the TV also works as videos for exercise/work-outs. I was simply saying that's not true for me, and-- really-- for a good number of people.

The original poster did ask about what to do underneath the TV (presumably to hid the cords?). I agree with one poster above who suggested that the TV was way too large for that space anyway. Yes; it sure it. I'm also guessing that leaving it there might interfere with the opening of those doors on either side.

My answer to the OP is to not simply hide the cords, but to find an affordable cabinet that you won't mind cutting a hole in the back of (for cords to reach outlet in wall), and slide the TV in there. That way you have a piece of furniture that might serve for something else, and also hide the eyesore. And there's no way around it, they are eyesores. I love my MAC computers, and I'm lovingly attached to them at the hip-- and I think they're smart and elegant designs for the most part. I still wouldn't want them hanging on my walls.
  • Darzy
    11 years ago
    @dianahb..I came back to delete my rant to you after rethinking how pointless it was for me to respond to your comments. Re-read your first paragraph comment to this poster. It is just rude.
  • dbh
    11 years ago
    darzy: Uh, and this last one you just posted isn't (rude)?? I hope you don't feel you have to go and delete that one, too.

I stand by all my comments here on this subject. The OP has yet to return, so I also stand by my first comment that this whole post *might* be a joke. Does no one else find it a tiny bit amusing that the TV is actually on (image which you can see quite clearly-- do you know how difficult it is to get an image that clearly on a TV screen-- no glare, no blown out light-- for all I know, it's a cardboard cut-out)-- and the cords are laying on top of a plastic tub turned upside down on a stool? Of course, I may be totally wrong, but I do have this sinking feeling/sense that this might possibly be someone who is poking just a little bit of fun at "design" folks. ??
  • aniluap2
    11 years ago
    I think that this thread has been a long rant about personal preference and really who care? This site is hear to help others with their design dilemmas not to get up on our soap box
  • dbh
    11 years ago
    aniluap2: Yes-- and do please take a look at all the suggestions that I (and others) have made here that answers the OP's question very nicely. Again, I suspect it's not a real dilemma, so I'm done. Carry on. :)
  • aniluap2
    11 years ago
    Good. All I am suggesting is that it would be nicer to make our commentary in a civil manner without putting down the choices or preferences of those asking for help.
  • feeny
    11 years ago
    I have to agree about the need to keep a civil and positive tone here on Houzz discussions. There is really no call to be rude.
    I also agree with Darzy's suggestion of a tall chest beneath the TV to hide the cords and make the space more usable.
    I find Interiors International's take on TV's in every room as the wave of the future interesting. I see the future rather differently. We are down to only one flat screen TV, and we disconnected our cable two years ago, because we find we watch everything on our laptop computers and (when waiting in line in stores) on our iPhones--streamed movies, TV shows, hulu, Netflix, etc. It now feels bizarre and outdated to us to sit down in front of a television to watch scheduled programming. So we only use our TV for increasingly-rare (but still delightful) DVD viewings with the whole family.
  • gwyneth76
    11 years ago
    Fresh eyes. How about a vertical floating shelf ABOVE tv, to put Cable box etc on. Painted same color as wall, would hide all the paraphenalia needed, and then tv would be visually less wired......
  • gwyneth76
    11 years ago
    Sorry meant horizontal!