Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
james_geckles

Help, Slipcover Dilemma!!!

Clint Eastwood
6 years ago

Quickly, my wife dreams, I research and buy. 1 child, (9) 3 dogs, 2 cats. We need to replace the leather sofa, loveseat and chair in the den. Shopping for, comfort, durability and style. In that order. Heavy on the comfort. The only 10 year material I have ever owned was Leather. She wants slipcovers. Not my choice, but I pick my battles, this one is a loser, I acquiesce. Our last fabric set we were fostering children and it lasted 5 years. :-( My opinion, slipcovers are for covering worn furniture. No one ever looks at a slipcover and says, “My, what a beautiful sofa.” It is a den, but I don’t want to completely disregard aesthetics. Especially if I buy top tier. The word slipcover seems to add $1,000 to any piece. I don’t mind spending money on quality. I’m 60, if I go top quality, 8 way hand tied springs, Kiln dried hardwood, Double doweled corners, quality fabrics and fillers. This could be the last set I ever purchase. Can I buy that kind of quality sofas and chairs from the manufacturer, that are built for slipcovers? I’ve mined this website, and researched Vanguard, Sherril, Henredon, Hancock & Moore, Lee, Pearson, many of the top tier builders. Slipcovered pieces are rare unless I start shopping the mass produced PB, C&B Lazy Boy etc. I’m just not ready to spend that kind of money on mediocrity. I agree with my wife that removable, washable material on a quality frame could be well maintained and add flexibility to the decor. Last thing. I’m not buying anything without seeing and sitting on it. Do I need to go to North Carolina and hit furniture row?

Comments (42)

• Clint Eastwood
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I probably posted this in the wrong topic area. My apologies, suggestion?

• hollybar
    6 years ago

Robin Bruce,Four Seasons and MT Company (several of their lines,like Somerset Bay & Dana Gibson & Washable Wonders) include slips. I know some of these are available as 8-way hand tied and spring down if you'd like. You should be able to find out which among them are near enough for you to sit. (gotta love the internet) Of course,a trip to NC is always fun,too.

Clint Eastwood thanked hollybar
  • Tootsie
    6 years ago
    Buy the style of sofa you like but use very basic upholstery fabric. Have slipcover made separately out of good quality fabric.
    Clint Eastwood thanked Tootsie
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 years ago

I agree get what you like and have a slip cover custom made . I agree with you I dislike slip covered furniture it always looks sloppy and Italian made leather furniture will always be my choice for longevity.

Clint Eastwood thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Clint Eastwood
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you ladies, that sounds like a viable solution. I’ll run it by the Mrs. And thank you too Holly, I’ll check out those lines. I’m in the DFW metroplex so I should be able find something over in Dallas. If not, Tar Heels here we come!,

• chiflipper
    6 years ago

Also check "boat covers & upholstery". They carry Krypton / Sunbrella and heavy duck. Be sure they use Tenex (GoreTex) thread.

Clint Eastwood thanked chiflipper
  • Nancy Walton
    6 years ago

Kryton fabric wears extremely well, but is not a comfortable fabric.

Clint Eastwood thanked Nancy Walton
  • PRO
    The Stated Home
    6 years ago

Lee Industries has a lot of slipcover sofa options and whether you choose slipcover or upholstery the price is the same - only changes based on the fabric you choose. Most slipcover fabrics are cotton canvas which tend to be less expensive anyway. On leeindustries.com look under products, sofas and then under category select "slipcovers" to see the available styles.

Clint Eastwood thanked The Stated Home
  • moogers
    6 years ago
    Check Arhaus. Have had their slipcovered sofa and loveseat for over 10 years and there is not a more comfortable sofa in my house. I have a total of 3 sets of slipcovers. They didn’t wear out, I just got tired of them. They’re not cheap, but if you want slip covered, you will love these. New covers set me back about $1,000 for each set, but I really enjoy changing them out. Good luck!
    Clint Eastwood thanked moogers
  • Elle
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

With a 9-year-old kid, 3 dogs, 2 cats, 2 adults, and other family/friends, I think a slipcover on a main sofa would need to be washed quite often and that a heavy-duty one would not fit or circulate well in a standard home washing machine which would seem to mean having it professionally washed or taking it to a laundromat with an oversized washer on a regular basis and also having a second one on hand to use during that time? Is she 100% sure about that versus going with leather?

• Clint Eastwood
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Darlin’ you are preaching to the choir. Even our leather took a beating on this last go around. And it’s unavoidable, our Greater Swiss Mountain dog does not give a tinker’s damn about aesthetics. At least once a week I find her 120LB self curled up on the divan. I scold, God laughs! I think my “no one has ever looked at a slipcovered couch and said, oh my that’s beautiful” speech finally won her over. Bur she is dead set against leather. :-( :-( Some things are only learned from trial and error. The hard part is we already made the fabric error. The Big Guy is laughing harder!! Thank you all for taking the time to answer. I’m going to follow moogers now and look up Arhaus. I did find a great sectional on ZGallery with all my prerequisites for under 4K. So there’s that.

• Clint Eastwood
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Wow! Moogers, that Arhaus is some really nice handcrafted furniture. Cough, cough, I did say I was willing to spend for quality. If she goes for that I’ll have to put my money where my mouth is.....she’s worth every penny.

• Nancy Walton
    6 years ago

If you go with a fabric, consider microfiber. It holds up well with pets and is easy to steam clean.

• judrand05
    6 years ago

It sounds to me like there needs to be a meeting of minds between you and your wife, and this usually means compromise for you both. I don't blame your wife for not wanting leather. It's cold in the winter and hot in the summer unless you buy a beautiful soft glove leather then it might not stick to any bare skin. But it also tends to be a very masculine choice. And slipcovers tend to be a very very feminine choice. So to simplify and get on with your life, go for an upholstered L-shape sofa in a beautiful slate gray linen-like poly fabric which is neither male or female-oriented. I think that would satisfy everyone and be practical and handsome all at the same time.

• Clint Eastwood
    Original Author
    6 years ago

That sounds very logical and probably cheaper than leather or slipcovers. One thing I’m positive of.....it will not be an impulse buy. Ranking just below our bed, this might be the most important purchase we make for home comfort. This a $1500 Ethan Allen slipcovered chair...on sale. Lord give me strength. That’s worse than buying upholstered furniture and leaving the clear plastic cover on it.

• Sierrafoothills
    6 years ago

I have a slipcovered sofa from PB and am replacing it with a leather sofa simply because my dog (non-shedding) is allowed on the sofa and tracks in dirt too often from our yard. I throw it in the wash, and within days, it's dirty again. I just can't continue with that routine. I run cold, so the thought of "cold" leather didn't appeal to me, but there are some leathers that don't feel as cold, and I'll just have a comfy throw on the sofa.

I plan on going with a lighter colored leather to keep the room less masculine looking, and I think it will. be beautiful.

Clint Eastwood thanked Sierrafoothills
  • Clint Eastwood
    Original Author
    6 years ago

We are still shopping. The pendulum is currently swinging back toward leather. We sat in some King Hickory recliners that were just dreamy. The cool part is they have a reversible bottom cushion. Fabric on one side, leather on the other. So if the house is a bit cool, just flip it over and you’re setting on fabric. If the house is warm, you have cool leather to sit on. I’m back to the drawing board on the couch. She didn’t like the slipcovers we shopped. This is the King Hickory Hamilton, I know, it’s masculine. But you never want to stand up.

• redsilver
    6 years ago

My sister told me she wanted to only buy "heirloom furniture"....20 years later,...there is no such thing. If it's wooden...such as a table and chairs...the glue in the joints give ways.....if it's upholstered....it just easier to replace it than clean it at some point.....and if it's Leather....well, that is what you see for sale JUST BEFORE the favorite end seat cushions or head-well-oiled-rest, of the sectional Rip Out....body oils take their toll and it's really not all that fun to saddle soap the sofa, and dust out the button holes and besides that....brown WAS all the rage...but now, it's GRAY... So buy something that sits comfortable. I suggest a microfiber chaise for her, and a dual leather recliner/loveseat with cupholders in between.... and whatever else you want the dog to sit on? Perhaps A standard velveteen/microfiber loveseat, and a combo leather ottoman/fabric club chair...so they have a choice? That way you didn't break the bank, and everyone won! :D Whatever gets stained first...leaves the house. LOL It'll be fun to see what you both decide?

Clint Eastwood thanked redsilver
  • Clint Eastwood
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you for being the voice of reason Redsilver. And I agree whole-heartedly to a point. Especially on the tufted style, the first time one of those buttons pop @#$&#*@. On the other hand....I purchased an Amish bedroom set a few years ago that is definitely heirloom quality. The style is timeless and I have no doubts that it will be passed down at least one generation. After that I won’t be around to know. As for the den, heirloom is a stretch, it is going to take a beating. The only material that I have ever had last over 6-8 years was leather. This wasn’t Top-Grain semi-analine either. This was the set in the back of the Dillard’s store that included couch, loveseat, chair and 2 ottomans for $2100. That set lasted 10 years. I’m weary of buying the cheapest set I can find. When you turn 60 you need to purchase three things, a great bed, a great chair and a killer pair of shoes. I bought my first pair of Allen Edmonds this year. Expensive, dang right! I never dreamed I would spend $300 on shoes. My feet love me for it!! And you would not believe the compliments I get. On footwear for crying out loud!! I work hard and we have a lovely home, it’s time to buy something I’m not embarrassed for guests to sit on. This furniture game is a real racket. 37K for a couch? These people are goofy! Call for quote. Hidden prices. White Glove. Warranty? Really? You’re going to send a couch in to get it fixed? Furniture buying is worse than used cars. The junk I see selling for 5K is crazy. Bonded leather and vinyl, when you hit that clearance room look out. My 9yo daughter found a microfiber power recliner she thought was really cool. 3 way movement. A little trick I learned, put both hands on the armrest at a slight angle, let it support your weight. I wasn’t halfway there and it started to go. Her eyes got big and she said, “Daddy that’s a cheap chair.” Cheap? $1400. Sitting on those chairs is like a prison sentence. All you can think about is getting out. Nope, I’ve done the throw away furniture. And I am a patient, ruthless shopper. Just like cars, you never pay sticker. I’m headed for High Point and Hickory next week, I’ve had enough of this “Call for quote” game. I work for an airline so I can do a lot of reconnaissance. It could take 6 months, but when I sit in what I want, I will know it. I might visit Katz in NY before I pull the trigger on something. I’ve read some decent threads about them on line. Check out this piece by H&M. This will pop some eyeballs. I...know... it’s MASCULINE!

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    6 years ago

This line does not do slipcovers, but you will be amazed at the fabric which is offered. Flexsteel/Digby/ Kashmira fabric.

One choice looks like leather, the other like suede with many colors from which to choose. The fabric wears like iron, but is cozy and comfortable.

The Digby has simple lines and a tight back.

You are a research guy, so just give this line a chance. I think Flexsteel is a winner.

Clint Eastwood thanked JudyG Designs
  • miacometlady
    6 years ago
    Look into Flexsteel sofas. My dogs and kids can not hurt them. Nice designs. Soft fabric that so somehow manages to repel any and all attempts from my family to hurt them. Honestly these are crazy good sofas, had mine for several years and cushions are still firm.
    Clint Eastwood thanked miacometlady
  • redsilver
    6 years ago

You are so right Clint. Buy an 'electric' recliner, so the footrest goes up with a button, cause the shoulders are not what they used to be...but...sit in that thing for a few hours a day every day, and you will find that it sits like a BENCH. HARD. Memory Foam...another gimmick. Memory Foam is what you get when you lay in the same spot you sit on your bed for several years. LOL. And leather furniture, back when, I think had SUPERIOR dense foam beneath it, including car upholstery. I don't know if that is the case anymore. Had a couch reupholstered years ago. Was asked "do you want the same foam on the seat as the back has/quality wise?" WHAT? They put denser foam in the backs?? I want to see the foam and pinch it, that they put into that 1500 recliner. I can tell that in most cases, I can feel the frame underneath it when I push myself out of it. And that just reminds me of the expose on the puffy coffins from decades ago on Donahue....Lots of silk over STRAW stuffing, but it was Grandma...so buy one for 8000 to bury her in. In some cases I think they put straw into furniture cushions now days. I understand your position and when you find the furniture that is really worth the money, post us the brand. AND, I concur...on that bedroom set & the Amish craftsmanship. They don't put glue in their joints...they dovetail. You are so right about that. It's gotten to where a nice shaped wooden chair seat with a medium tall back, is much more comfortable, that a straw cushioned recliner with a fabric that will look like a used pair of hosiery after you own it for 6 months. Cheap is high priced now days, so you have to be aware & search to find the quality worth the price tag. Stay strong!

• Clint Eastwood
    Original Author
    6 years ago

There is some Flexsteel local. I’ll check it out. Thank you. Might have to cancel that flight to Greensboro/High Point tomorrow.

• Clint Eastwood
    Original Author
    6 years ago

An update, the struggle continues. Against all odds we have ascended to the summit of Mount...okay, a bit melo-dramatic. Sorry, it feels that way at times. We have visited almost every tier 3 and above furniture store in the metro-plex. I refused to go to the bargain basements where Elvis buys his furniture. I know he's still alive, one of the guys at work tells me so. We have found our sofa, RAF pod chaise with armless chair and LAF Chaise. We have chosen an Aqua-marine colored fabric which my wife calls Chenille and I call Dreamy. A tier 4 builder, sorry peeps, tier 5 is just too rich for our blood. The chairs have to pop because the couch doesn't. The sofa is all about comfort and the pod chaise is a brilliant concept. It sets at an angle and is shallower than a standard chaise. What we love is it's easy to get in and out of and when you throw your legs up your heels hang over the edge. Genius! You're don't have your feet on the couch!! My mother is smiling in heaven! (we won't discuss the pets at this juncture) We will round out the room with 2 club or lounge chairs choose your adjective. Recliners are not going to fit. I detest them anyway, they belong in a basement in Kansas with a guy named Bob sitting in them. My opinion. We have everything picked out and it's a matter of choosing a buyer now, or seller, however you look at it. We are meeting with a designer at Market in a few days to see if she can save us some money. This furniture racket is crazy. Did you know most manufacturers will not let their vendors email prices? It's nuts and almost impossible to compare shop. I promise to post pics when the deed is done. Okay time to continue the quest..."once more into the breach." Sorry, melo-dramatic again.

J.G. oops, I mean C.E.

• Sierrafoothills
    6 years ago

I'm happy to see you've found your sofa. Which brand did you decide on buying? I'm still trying to find that "just right" sofa. Your posts are quite entertaining!

Clint Eastwood thanked Sierrafoothills
  • hollybar
    6 years ago

Look forward to hearing "the rest of the story",especially with pics. But in the immortal words of Mojo Nixon,Elvis is still the king.

• redsilver
    6 years ago

I love this thread. Best to laugh on the big issues in life...like sofas? No matter what kind of house you live in, the SOFA will take almost as much time to pick out, as the paint and floor covering, combined? LOL Sounds like you made some great choices.....you will enjoy them for years to come!

• Clint Eastwood
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Update tonight, the wife is at Market Hall today. I’m having lunch with Elvis. Sorry hollybar, “in Texas, Bob Wills is still the King” —Waylon

• hollybar
    6 years ago

You having the peanut butter,banana and bacon,too?

• Clint Eastwood
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Before I reveal the heritage of the new furniture a little self-disclosure is in order. (Heritage is not a Clue)The truth is, I’m not Clint Eastwood. I know, I know, some of you clicked on my photo and thought, wow! I’m blogging with Clint! But alas poor Yorik, it is not Clint or Joe the plumber, it is Jim the mechanic. When the wife announced she wanted slip covers, I panicked. You see the best furniture in the house is in the formal. A beautiful set of Thomasville 8 way hand tied leather sofas, with parquet tables. I bought them when I was single from a guy who advertised them in the classified ads. Remember those days? Before Craig’s List was invented. Here is the irony, he had just got married and the new wife wanted slip covers. He was almost crying when I drove off smiling like the cat that ate the canary. He had just purchased them 6 months earlier. So my wife says slipcovers and all I can see is me coming home, after an 18 hour shift, walking into the den and it looks like a wrinkle grenade detonated. A bunch of baggy, off white linen, covered with Black Cat hair and paw prints. So I was desperate and I didn’t think Jet-Mech would generate a lot of empathetic feedback. I sold you all short, I’m positive of that now. That’s another apology. So there is that.

Now for the rest of the story. There are four or five quality manufacturers that sell the Pod or angle chaise. We chose Century. A solid tier 4 company with a great reputation. If you dig deep you can find some hiccups but that is the case with all of them. RAF angle Chaise, Armless love seat, LAF chaise. The latter piece is for Izzi my 9 year old. I promised her it would be sleepover approved and I also wanted her to know her opinion mattered. We are still discussing fabric. Another point of discontent. Every manufacturer uses different ratings. Why? They don’t want you comparing quality. To say the furniture industry is unregulated is like saying the Titanic took on a little water! One universal measurement is DRs. Which stands for Double Rubs. Whoa Nellie! What genius came up with this term. Next time you’re at a cocktail party, compliment the hosts on their sofa. Then ask them how many double rubs their divan is rated for. Hah!!

Lastly, the 2 chairs. This is where it gets ugly. I don’t want to spend 5, 6, 7 or even 8 or 9k on a set of top tier leather chairs that half the metroplex has double rubbed their bottom on. I apologize, I can’t get this DR thing out of my head. It cracks me up. (Bad pun) They don’t want you ordering a chair. They want to be paid NOW! Shopping high end is a completely different animal. We put on our Sunday best, I put on my Allen Edmonds shoes, the wife puts on her best jewelry and they roll out the red carpet. They don’t want bargain hunters. The demographic archetype they are catering to isn’t concerned with price for the most part. There are no tags, the term “clearance” is not even whispered in these places. So when we start asking for prices and to look at leather samples, they are not happy. And the idea of choosing a high quality piece of leather from looking at pictures is dubious at best. We found a matching pair of Wesley Hall, Hartwell chairs with matching ottomans. They sat so well we never wanted to stand up. Beautiful, buttery soft 100% Analine H class leather. Here we go with the rating system again. I had to find the leather info on the WH website, they wouldn’t tell me. They don’t even want to tell you the manufacturer. Because well, “everything on our floor is 8 way hand tied.” Including that set made in China back in the corner? Good grief! 9k with tax and they wouldn’t budge. They were already scuffed up for crying out loud. I asked if we could order a pair at that price. A very snotty no. So we are scouring the internet. The struggle is real folks. We have the chairs with ottomans down to 6k delivered with a G-H quality leather. I think we can get down to 5k. Which would put us on pace to meet budget. I estimated 15k in the beginning but that was Including a leather sectional. 10k would be a moral and financial victory. Maybe it’s just me, but peeps, this is the chair I’m going to spend my Golden years sitting in. It will be much more comfortable, if every time I sit down, I think, wow! This a great chair and I got it for a great price.

Thank you all very much for taking the time to read my musings. I lean towards posturing when I get the bit in my mouth on something like this. And I know the Mrs. gets frustrated with me when I walk away from what seems like the perfect piece. But she’s a trooper. She is also a bargain hunter extraordinaire, but her bailiwick is clothes and shoes. We are on the backstretch peeps. My short term goal is to order before the Super Bowl and my long term is to have it payed for by the time it arrives. I’m a little grumpy burning the candle at both ends working on this. It’s Girl Scout cookie time, we have a house full of them (cookies not Girl Scouts) and I’m on a diet, which exacerbates my angst. At times like these I always remind myself, “we got no troubles, life is the bubbles, under the sea.” — The Little Mermaid, Izzi loved that movie.

• redsilver
    6 years ago

Man, for the price of those chairs...you COULD see the 'bowl in PERSON. LOLOL...from a 5 star Room Suite likely? LOLOL....Well It might be the Hilton or something akin, but 5 star, is 5 star, even if the dome does not slide open. I love it Clint. Keep us posted. You are a rare breed amongst furniture shopper. . . :)

• Clint Eastwood
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I feel like crying. We are waiting on leather and fabric samples. In the mean time I’m browsing Houzz because I’m an OCD a**l retentive idiot and at 3am I don’t have anything better to do. So here I am, airplane’s are all fixed and tucked in, when I see this thread about Century Cornerstone LTD furniture. It’s not what I thought it was. That YouTube video spouting “everyone of our sofas is bench made, 8 way blah blah, hardwood, kiln dried, blah blah” is a bunch of hooey. It’s just a middle of the road sofa like all the rest, nothing special. Even their top line is suspect. Who can you believe? You’re not going to cut one in half and look inside. My wife is going to shoot me. I’m about ready to buy a bean bag and throw it in the middle of the room. This is the truth peeps. High quality furniture is getting hard to find. It is not manufactured for the masses.

I’m starting to believe in the theory, when it comes to furniture, buy high or buy low. In the middle is where the consumer is getting killed. If you can’t afford a Baker or E.J. Victor, head for IKEA. Because in between is a plethera of expensive pieces and a lot of it is junk. They all talk American made quality, but they are buying their drop in spring modules from China and sticking them in a plywood frame. Glue, staples and off to NFM where they pontificate about the quality and sell you a Guardian protection plan for fabric that was already treated at the textile mill. Then a warranty you will never collect on. I should have known better when the local carpet outlet had Century sofas on Clearance. Century even bought Hancock and Moore. No wonder we were seeing H&M recliners at the local chain store for $1600. I’m at sea here. Fact: Any company that transitions from custom builder to mass production is going to suffer a decline in quality. I think it’s time to head for Hickory. Find what we want and visit the manufacturing plant that makes it. Many of them offer tours daily. Because once they slap the material on, you really don’t know what you are buying. My research is a classic example of what can happen when you you are reading reviews on threads that are 3 years old. A lot can happen in 3 years. Especially in the furniture industry. I think mass production is swallowing up the true craftsmen. Please tell me those Wesley Hall chairs are what they say they are. They were gorgeous and sat like you were in a little corner of heaven.

• hollybar
    6 years ago

Aw,Clint I feel your pain. And I agree that in furnitureworld, 3 years is a long time.So many lines have been sold and consolidated. That does not mean that the top in the new,consolidated line is less than it was. But it can mean that. Especially because consumers seem unwilling to educate themselves and demand better. Advertising sells,not quality. Want proof? There are retailers selling razors to go with their 3K sofas to shave away the pills their craptastic fabrics have after a couple of weeks. That razor buying consumer is utterly enchanted by the catalogues and marketing,PT Barnum had a name for them.

Round here,I have upholstered pieces on their third recovering (my taste evolves) that are in remarkable shape and old enough to drink (Lee and Hickory Chair) but I could not say the quality is the same today. Could be,don't know and most of the newer pieces I have are way less spendy (Michael Thomas,Robin Bruce) and bought thru the NC outlets because I wasn't willing to pay to find out. Too much chicanery. The parsed language firms use to hide what the product actually is annoys me. All that said(typed?),I still think you will find what you want. Even with your eyes wide open. Have you explored custom furniture builders in your area? I knew a guy in business forever who built from scratch. European immigrant. He sold mostly thru designers for people who found George Smith not up to snuff. Then he won the lottery and retired.

• Nancy Walton
    6 years ago

I have found that Clayton-Marcus furniture to be long-term enduring. However, even they make different grades of furniture. They all look the same as far as style, but have different construction grades. You can get plywood, zigger wire, and foam instead of kapok to keep the price down, or you can get eight-way hand-tied, solid hardwood frames, and down or polyester padding. I have had my sofa re-upholstered several times, and can still have it done a few times more, due to the quality of the construction.

Clint Eastwood thanked Nancy Walton
  • redsilver
    6 years ago

Sounds like that great deal at the Estate Auction...you know, the sofa with a back high enough your shoulder blades don't float and you don't need a king size pillow atop it so your head can 'rest'...even with the neck pillow horseshoe, might be the one to keep the eye out for.....You know, no one ever wants "grannies sofa".....oh yes they should but hey, Granny didn't have a dog and a cat and a rescue hamster living INSIDE her house, so there probably won't be any fleas or bedbugs like there might be in the upholstered 'pet more heads and legs than people' home. That sofa will have the frame that is dovetailed and the springs that are not sprung, and will be worth recovering into the form of today, just use an upholsterer that won't rob all the good parts out of the cushions and give you memory foam in the seat... And the barrell back chairs...same way. If you can find 'em grab 'em. They beat any recliner made today, and get you a nice height footstool and go on with life... I guess the Estate Sale where you can see the clean house that matches the furniture, would be the place to be for some real heirloom furniture..if it survived the last 40 years, it will be good for the next 20 in theory. Twice what most of the stuff you buy today will last.

• Clint Eastwood
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Update, apologies peeps, we've been painting. My wife made an astute observation the other day, I'm not sure if she coined this phrase but I'm giving her credit for it. "The first four letters in the word paint, are P A I N." It's a DIY must in the metroplex, what they charge to paint a room is downright sinful. But it is the price the market will bear so here I am. 3' extra stiff Purdy, cutting away. The new furniture was ordered on 29 January. So we are a little over 6 weeks into our wait. The brick Fireplace has been painted. (both sides, Den and Living room) And I finished out the book shelves on both sides so they reach the floor now. No more TV cubby hole ala 1984. Flat screens on the wall changed all that...thankfully. We ended up choosing Tempe Star for the brick and "On the Rocks" for the walls. On the Rocks probably is an appropriate description of our choice. It aptly describes our marriage status before we acquiesced and had a color consult. (that was a joke) It was worth every penny. We are really excited about the new look. The added advantage is, in 6 months if we hate it, we can blame the consultant! Here are a few pics. The "On the Rocks" gray is amazing. It constantly changes color depending on the light in the room. They were both Sherman Williams. So, the checklist is complete for now. Cabinets rebuilt and painted, check. Rooms painted, check. New furniture, the check is in the mail. Who knows? I'm hoping the 8-10 week period they promised was realistic and not optimistic. (note: the paint on the brick in pic 3 was one of 11 colors we threw on the fireplace before we finally decided on the Tempe Star. No more color, fabric and leather swatches to look at....until the next project. Oh, my that kitchen HAS to be next. We still have white formica and mini blinds!

• Clint Eastwood
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The day has arrived. The furniture arrived late yesterday evening. It’s everything we had hoped for and more. I won’t discuss the shipping company, suffice to say it arrived undamaged. The leather is buttery soft Pure Analine on the Wesley Hall chairs. The color match on the fireplace and is beyond compare. My 10 year old daughter was a bit put out over the lack of a love seat, but once she found the chaise, she had her nesting spot. Everyone loves the cuddle-corner on the Century sectional. Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions. It took a whole village. This process definitely isn’t for everyone. Choosing stryles, colors, fabrics and manufacturers is time consuming and tedious. I have to give a shout out to the lady who really made it happen. Cathy at Elite Interiors and Furniture Gallery Myrtle Beach. She was wonderful to work with. Not only knowledgeable, but genuinely concerned that we were getting exactly what we wanted over just selling us something. I can’t recommend her highly enough. Wendy the manager was excellent as well. We saved over 50% on the same furniture selling retail here in the DFW metroplex. The sales tax we saved covered the shipping. Lastly, for me, spending that kind of money on something sight unseen is completely out of character. It takes the patience of Job waiting 12 weeks. But like many things in life, they are worth waiting for. It’s storming today in Fort Worth. I think I’ll cuddle up with a good book on my new furniture. Note: the Mrs. hasn’t mentioned slip covers since February!!!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 years ago

New furniture, old tables that are not complementing what you purchased.

• redsilver
    5 years ago

WOW!! Clint, Wife and P A I N t.............what an amazing room. I like your table too, it works. Upholstery shopping is one thing...finding that wooden furniture is another days(months) work. Just be certain you don't buy anything with critters in it from the forest! It happens. Enjoy your pretty room. Very very nice!

• Sara Brumbaugh
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

If you ever, ever need more furniture, Temple Furniture in Maiden, NC is very high quality. If it's leather you're looking for, check out Classic Leather in Conover, NC. It is absolutely gorgeous and all made in the US. I might add, that their prices are much cheaper than what you paid. Glad you found something you like, though. Cheers!

• Rachel
    2 years ago

Clint Eastwood This is an old post but, what the heck! Would love to know how your sofa's holding up? I'd love a washable fabric, maybe a slipcover. What fabric did you get? Is it performance or reliable 100% cotton? I'm really stuck on fabric. Thanks!