Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dreamindecor

Help with finishing touches – Artwork? Sculpture? (Grover? Flo?)

dreamindecor
5 years ago

Family room update nearly complete! New paint, shutters, leather sofa, chairs, rug, TV and floating cabinet. Now I need help completing my walls.

I have two big spaces – one over the fireplace and one between two windows; and a smaller space on one side of the TV.

Do I put artwork on all walls? Or art on one and a sculpture on another? Would two big pieces of art in the same room compete with each other? You’ll note on the pic of the OLD design (below) that I previously had iron art on one wall and a painting over the fireplace (along with candlesticks).

I’ve posted artwork that has caught my eye in my “Family Room Art” idea book and would like thoughts on which might look best in my décor (I pretty much like them all). (I also like the floral art that my husband is holding up in one of the pics.) I would like to bring in the colors of indigo and sunflower yellow (to match the indigo in the rug and the sofa pillows). If anyone can photoshop them into my space that would be great!

Here's what the family room USED to look like:

What it looks like NOW:

Wall space between breakfast nook window and family room window is 74” from window to window; 64” from top of sofa to ceiling. The previous iron sculpture was 38” x 38”.

Space over fireplace is 88” W x 52” H (window to window). The mantle is 62” wide. Previous painting was 36” H x 30” W and leaned against the wall with some other mantle accessories. Should I do the same, or have one big art piece? One big sculpture?

Space between TV and end of wall is 48".

Comments (29)

• dreamindecor
    Original Author
    5 years ago

For perspective, here's a shot into the kitchen from the family room.

• della70
    5 years ago

Don't put anything on the wall with the tv. It looks good now with that plant and the basket. I personally like to hang real art and would suggest you visit some of the art fairs that will happen during the fall festival season, and find something you like, and support your local artist at the same time. You might find a beautiful ceramic piece for over the fireplace or wall sculpture. I think I'd look for taller, brighter lamps and add some color that way. Good start!

• dreamindecor
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks Pam! Yes, new table lamps are on the list! I was going to wait until I found the right art before deciding on the lamps, but could certainly do them now.

We do have a fair number of art shows in the Fall/Winter here in Phoenix/Scottsdale. I've not attended one before and wonder how pricey that art might be, plus I'm assuming that art purchased at an art show isn't returnable (what if we don't like it once we get it in the room?) Plus, it's been several months since we painted and we finally had the new TV/cabinet installed today, and I'm anxious to get something up in those empty spaces (although I've waited this long....). ;-)

• dreamindecor
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Also, here are some ideas for the top of the TV cabinet.

This is a big chunk of polished driftwood.

• della70
    5 years ago

Art should make you smile. You should be able to look at it every day and like it and it will fit into your life, no matter your room. Of course, you want to purchase that fits the space you have. Your area of the US is rich with art that reflects the landscape and the natural colors that appear in the desert. Go look. Imagine giving your selections a southwest flavor?

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

Ah, dreamindecor, I've been wanting to write about this for a week--it's been on my mind--and since you are in Scottsdale, let me suggest you visit the Paul Scott Gallery and Gallery Russia. A wonderful artist from whom I've taken two workshops is represented there. She has been an inspiration, a true light in the world. Her name is Larisa Aukon. Sadly she died last week of brain cancer. I'm guessing she might have been in her 40s. Here are two of her works:

Flower Market by Larisa Aukon · More Info

Place of Bounty by Larisa Aukon · More Info

Her originals might be a little pricey, but they're certainly worth a look.

Now I'll go look at your ideabook. Two pieces of art in the room will not be too much.

• stefaniebogles
    5 years ago

I think you should not add anything as it will be too cluttered.

• catheadams
    5 years ago
    what if you painted the wall with the tv a fun color. i think the art you're holding makes it too busy. plus i don't like the look of art next to a tv, they're different types of imagery that compete. but definitely put some big art above your mantel or even a mirror. i LOVE your tree! what is it?
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago

I paired these from your ideabook because I thought they went well together and since you said you liked pretty much everything in there... These are the approximate sizes I would hang. You could go a tad bit smaller on the pieces, but not much larger. And you can use candlesticks on the mantel with your art, but the art should still be centered and the candlesticks overlap.

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

Oh yeah, nothing to the right of the TV.

• dreamindecor
    Original Author
    5 years ago

grover - THANKS for placing the art on my walls - it helps me visualize it. I'm so sorry to hear about Larisa Aukon. I loved the first piece you posted. I'll definitely check out the galleries you mentioned, although online it looked like many of her pieces were already sold.

And yes! I haven't been to the Tempe Art Festival in years! I remember finding some unique items there in the distant past. Thanks for the reminder!

• dreamindecor
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Grover - can you put the Flower Market piece by Larisa Aukon on one of my walls. I'm not sure it's available in the size I need though. I was looking at fineartamerica.com and the biggest one I saw was 29.50" x 26.25".

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

I can't believe you found her prints, dream. Good sleuthing. Unfortunately, it really is too small.

• houssaon
    5 years ago

If Flower Market is a print, could it be matted and framed to a larger size?

• abb_ann
    5 years ago
    Please nothing on TV cabinet. It is a beautiful cabinet.
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago

Houssaon's idea could work, though that would give you a very large mat.

This one comes in a 40 x 30" canvas:

Memory Sidewalks Canvas Print / Canvas Art by Larisa Aukon · More Info

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

• della70
    5 years ago

@groveraxle Perfect! No more. No less.

• djahlm
    5 years ago

Dreamindecor, the ”Memory Sidewalks” looks wonderful in your room.

Grover, I love when you highlight an artist, unknown to me, such as Larisa Aukon. Her work is beautiful! I found an article about her in Southwest Art; she had a very interesting life growing up in Latvia and moving to Arizona as an adult. Fun to read about how she was so inspired by the colors of the Southwest. I bet she was a fun instructor. It’s unfortunate that her life ended at such a young age.

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

Djahim, Larisa was a total delight. I only spent 10 days with her, but I never will forget her. Plus, I love her art.

• dreamindecor
    Original Author
    5 years ago

grover - some questions:

You don't think the big white mat takes away from the Flowers Market painting? I can't really tell what size mat you put on your image, but with a 4.25" mat, this is what the image comes out size-wise: https://fineartamerica.com/featured/flowers-market-larisa-aukon.html?product=art-print

Image: 24.00" x 20.75"

Mat Border: 4.25"

Frame Width: 0.88"

Overall: 34.00" x 30.75"

With the mantle being 61" wide, is a 34" painting big enough?

Also, I'm a little concerned about glare from the glass. I actually can't tell if fineamericanart.com includes glass or not...

They also have these choices for paper (with the Archival matte paper the default):

Archival Matte Paper

Glossy Photo Paper

Luster Photo Paper

Semi-Matte Photo Paper

Picture Rag

Somerset Velvet

Watercolor Paper

Metallic Paper

Finally, I don't think the painting that is shown in the last rendering (with the framed Flowers print) is in the same color family as Flowers. What do you think of this picture? Would this work on the side wall? It's 33" x 38". (or do I need something more subtle on that wall?)

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

I estimated the size against your mantel and believe a 34" piece would appear about like this. To be sure, tape the outline over the mantel with painters tape, or cut a template to size from butcher paper and tape it up.

I can't tell if it comes with glass either. It may come with plexi, but you can replace with non-glare glass locally. Glass cut to size is not very expensive. Archival matte paper is fine.

• dreamindecor
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I taped out the width of the Flowers painting with the 4.25" mat (34"W x 31"H) over the mantle. I taped out the other wall with a 35" x 35" painting.

While I like the picture with the red house (in fact I REALLY like it), I wonder if it's too bold and takes away the focus from the Flowers painting over the mantle. It comes smaller ( 27" x 32") but I'm wondering if that would be too small for that wall.

So I'm wondering if I need something more subtle on that wall. Something in the same color family, but not as bright.

• dreamindecor
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Here's the wall taped out as 27" x 32" (for the smaller red house painting). Too small for that wall?

AND - does the large white mat take away from the Flowers painting?

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

The framed art over the mantel looks a good size. Here I show it with the red house in two sizes:

I think they both work. I prefer the larger size.

Note above, I did render the room with the dark blue canvas which competes less with the flower market print:

dreamindecor thanked groveraxle
  • Mary R
    5 years ago
    Go bold!
  • dreamindecor
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Decisions decisions....