Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
homeisminne

homeisminne
12 years ago
I am looking for a stainless steel floating shelf for above my 30 inch stove. I have found some great ones but they are all about 10 inches deep and I need something in the 4-5 inch range. I would love to hear if anyone has seen a product like this? Thank you!

Comments (16)

• bepsf
    12 years ago
    You could easily have a local metalworker make one for you in exactly the size you desire.
  • PRO
    The Sky is the Limit Design
    12 years ago
    yes, you should have it made - the reason being is that in order to make it appear floating it actually needs to be made in a certain way - talk to a cabinet guy about this. for sure you should have blocking in the back behind the surface, or at least make sure that you can fasten it to a number of studs. the shelf will either have to slide over a cleat, in which case the actual shelf will be made out of 2 layers of plywood, or, if it's not deeper than 6" and you are a bit mindful what kind of weight you put on there, a number of metal bolts might do it as well. A sheetmetal place will wrap this for you, or, if the cabinet maker has stainless laminate handy he could use that. But typically the sheetmetal place would be cheaper for a one-of... Good luck!
  • dolunay
    12 years ago
    I actually have the exact same issue. I just found a stainless steel shelf at Pottery Barn on-line that is 4" wide, but it comes in 24" or 36" length. But they way it looks, I think I can get my subcontractor to cut the 36" one down to 30" and it will be fine. Hope that helps - that is what I am going to try.
  • homeisminne
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    dolunay, would you let me know how that works for you? that shelf looked perfect but i didn't know if it could be cut down at all.
  • dolunay
    12 years ago
    Sure I will let you know - I just ordered it. I may just let it hang over 3" on each side if it can't be cut down. I have a couple inch gap between the back of my stove and the wall, so I am trying to fill it in so that space is useful - and so that things don't fall behind the stove :-)
  • dolunay
    12 years ago
    I received the shelf from pottery barn (36") and my contractor said that he can cut it down to 30" to exactly fit the stove. He is supposed to come next week to install it. I can upload a picture of it after he does it if that helps?
    Good luck! Cathy
  • homeisminne
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Cathy, I would love that. The Pottery Barn shelf is my favorite. Thank you!
  • dolunay
    12 years ago
    Hi - Attached are the pictures. My builder cut down the Pottery Barn 36" shelf to 30" and it works perfectly! Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck!
  • Emily H
    12 years ago
    Nicely done! Thanks for sharing the results.
  • PRO
    Joseph F. Yencho, Design/Builder
    12 years ago
    @ dolunay -Did you watch your builder install that shelf by chance?
  • dolunay
    12 years ago
    Yes - I was here when he hung it - although I did not watch him cut the shelf - he did that outside. What can I do to help?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I've installed those shelves before. I found i had to block behind them and use long SS screws to secure it. Was wondering if your builder got lucky and hit a couple of studs, or is it held by the anchors that come with it?
  • dolunay
    12 years ago
    The anchors that come with it are for drywall, but my backsplash is recycled glass. I am pretty sure he used regular anchors. My house is built in the 1920's so the plaster walls behind the backsplash are pretty sturdy. The shelf is not that heavy - and it is not wide enough to fit a lot of weight. The shelf installs onto a long tube like bar, so if you need to you should be able to adjust and connect that to a stub pretty easily.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Good, he was able to catch the lathe behind the plaster. The shelf is beautiful, the price reasonable, but the engineering is unforgiving LOL. If you look at my post, the boston renovation one, look above the stove. that's the same shelf. couldmy daugher-inlaw put anymore weight on it? LOL. It's not the shelf, but what people put on it (:
  • homeisminne
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    It looks beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing!
  • dolunay
    12 years ago
    You are welcome! Glad I could help :-)