Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nwlambear

Patricia
13 years ago
I would like some update of front door entrance. The current little wood deck is not functional Think I would like something bigger, with step entrance up to it and side porch like rails

Comments (20)

• Patricia
    Original Author
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    This is our front door and its so awkward. The only way to expand would be to do away with the long narrow closet in the master bathroom..the back wall of the closet would be to the left as you enter the front door. It would make the "entry" hall a little bigger as well. And there would be room for a nicer and bigger door.
  • Sheila Schmitz
    13 years ago
    If you want to keep the closet, could you just shorten it some to make room for a wider door? Then you could replace the deck with a larger one that gives you room for a welcoming porch. :)
  • Patricia
    Original Author
    13 years ago
    When you first step inside, the entire wall to your left is actually the back/length of the closet. Think I need to redesignate the entire length and width of the closet to make it part of the "entry space" and being able to have a bigger door...may one with windows/lights on either side. Enlarging the deck is also what I would like to do. Thanks for responding!!!
  • Patricia
    Original Author
    13 years ago
    That wall at the end of the hall is the wall on back of the wardrobe closet in the bathroom. The front entrance door is to the immediate left.
  • Sheila Schmitz
    13 years ago
    Totally agree that if you can give up this space to your entry, you'll have a much nicer welcome into your home. You might also consider high clerestory windows to bring even more natural light deeper into your interior spaces. And here's a clever idea for replacing your lost closet space:
    chezerbey bedroom · More Info
  • Terri A.
    13 years ago
    Any chance you could bust it outward? Incorporate a gable/portico to extend the entry forward and rework the entry deck to a complimentary shape with a step up.
  • miki421
    13 years ago
    1. Paint the door and storm door the same bright, welcoming color (brick red or teal comes to mind).
    2. On the blank wall to the left of the door, evenly space three really large matching pots with tall upright evergreen shrubs.
    3. Below these, place an inexpensive bistro table set or just make a compact conversation area with chairs and a side table using the evergreens as a backdrop.
    4. Keep the area in front of the windows clear of furniture and plants as it appears to be the designated walkway to the front door.
  • janishill
    13 years ago
    I wish I could see the area from the yard facing toward the front so I would know what was to the left side of the patio. Not knowing how that area is configured makes it a little more of a challenge, but here are some ideas.

1) Clear out everything
    2) Paint door and storm door red. Use a red that has a touch of orange, not a blue red.
    3) Place a Japanese Maple in a verdigris colored, round container to the far left. The container color will repeat the roof color and a Japanese Maple is perfect for that spot for several reasons; including size, shape, and color.
    4) Place a small storage bench to the left of the door. Top with a vertical stripe cushion that has the same shades of red and verdigris. You want the stripe to run from the house toward the patio, so it makes the deck appear wider.
    5) Hang outdoor art above bench.
    6) Remove the window box.
    7) A sectional patio set may work - depending on what is to the right (area I can't see) or a wooden bistro set.
    8) Use cushions in the same color family (as the one you have on the bench) to bring continuity.
    9) Place a red tray and teal candles or teal tray and red candles on top of the table.
    10) Add a few colorful plants around the patio to give it a little puch.
    I'm adding some pictures to give you an idea of what I have in mind.
    Happy summer!

• debisue
    13 years ago
    exactly what the previous reader advised!!! Don't overcrowd your space. You may even want to incorporate one of the great inexpensive outdoor rugs to define the space. And above all, keep it clean!
  • selwyn_k
    13 years ago
    My suggestion is to extend your patio over all of the space with the same type of decking. Instead of a step use a short ramp so that wheelchair friends can make it up easier. For greater effect include a planter in it to better define the 'path' to your front door. You could even put some soft long a square shaped seating at the edge to make it multiple use for relaxing out doors in good weather.
  • janishill
    13 years ago
    debisue, if you read through both my suggestions and miki421's they are different. They do share some similarities though. :-)
    I thought of a rug, but that would draw your eye to the seating area, not to the front door.
    I attempted to add other pictures, but for some reason they didn't post. I will add them now.
  • janishill
    13 years ago
    For some reason the other 2 pictures are not posting. Sorry
  • Patricia
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Here are a few more pics of our house. I really appreciate all the suggestions regarding upgrading our front entrance; I really want a deck too.
  • Patricia
    Original Author
    12 years ago
  • Patricia
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    additional pictures of front of house-May 13, 2011
  • Patricia
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    rustic beams added near front entrance. Contemplating further design work at front door and "entry hall". Lots of wall painting to be done!!!
  • Sheila Schmitz
    12 years ago
    Thanks, nwlambear! Keep us posted!
  • janishill
    12 years ago
    A deck doesn't seem appropriate on the is house, as it appears to be a slab house (on a slab of concrte, without a basement.) I would remove the window box, all of the lattice, and plants for starters.
    If you were to have a landing built with one step down from it, it would make it seem finished. I am going to attempt to download a picture from the 2010 HGTV Green Home. The way the steps from the back door lead to the patio is the what I think would work for you.
  • janishill
    12 years ago
    Better picture of the steps.
    what part of the country do you live in? I have some ideas on plant material, but want to be sure they would work in your area.
  • Patricia
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Thanks janishill - thanks for the pics. If I had a step like that I would also need handrails, which looks as though that could be done. I have balance problems. Remember....it is my front door also. I put the lattice up over those windows because they were ugly....with yellow glass. Our house is in northwest Washington (very near the Canadian border). The plants are rhodies and azalea.....also a forsythia. Would welcome your plant suggestions.