Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edubya

POLL: Breakfast time - Tea Kettle, Drip Coffee or Espresso Machine?

Emily H
8 years ago

Breakfast time! Which appliance is your best friend for breakfast? Are you a fan of boiling water the old-fashioned way with the traditional tea kettle or do you prefer the electric tea kettle? If you're a coffee person – which type of coffee maker is your favorite?

VOTE and tell us about it in the comments!

Comments (342)

• Calista Baker
    8 years ago

I use a traditional kettle and boil water for my French-pressed coffee in the morning. In the afternoon, I use my one cup drip machine with freshly ground beans, not pods. Or I boil water for tea.

• fdituri
    8 years ago
    I drink tea and my husband is a coffee drinker. We boil water with an electric kettle and make a Mellita one cup filtered drip coffee straight into his mug and a mug-size pot of tea for me.
  • G Bee
    8 years ago

Cold process, and then drink cold or heated.

• kajaanne
    8 years ago

Electric kettle and French Press. Every day, first thing. If I am traveling, I bring my press with me or if that is too cumbersome, I have small press type device I pack into my bag.

• susanemerson
    8 years ago
    Stove top kettle, electric grinder and french press.
  • ljhh6
    8 years ago

Nespresso with the magic foaming machine for the milk. The kitchen smells like a coffee bar.

• darrylm
    8 years ago

A few years ago I remodeled our master bedroom and added a small wet bar area. Now our alarm clock is waking up to our automatic drip coffee machine right there in the bedroom. I feel a little spoiled every morning, worth it!

• greyest
    8 years ago

Electric tea kettle (for speed and right temperature) and French press.

• smmtm
    8 years ago

In Portugal the majority of people has an expresso machine at home. We love strong coffee, several times per day.

• Olen Holm
    8 years ago

French Press, yo

• sheilabrock
    8 years ago
    I used to aeropress every morning, but now I love my pour over Chemix.
  • almostjane
    8 years ago

Been a French press-er for 25+ years. Easy, quick and super-delicious. One full pot yields 2 jumbo mugs of coffee - usually all I have per day. Starbucks Italian roast. Drink it black too - the only way to REALLY taste the bean.

• Richard Armstrong
    8 years ago

Aeropress, burr grinder, electric kettle. Fast, fresh, and exactly to my taste every time.

• kiffkat
    8 years ago

We don't drink tea. We drink coffee. We freshly grind and brew ours in a drip coffee maker. We love Chocolate Cherry Decadence & Dark Chocolate Candy Cane from Harry & David. Of course, we're also fans of espresso, Turkish and French-pressed.

• PRO
    Dakovich Interiors LLC
    8 years ago

I actually use my Keurig for both my tea and coffee. I start the morning with a bag of my favorite english breakfast tea and get the hot water from my Keurig. I put a whole milk and a little stevia in it and its just perfect for me. I follow that with a Donut Shop coffee pod in the Keurig and off I go!

• dracmthefirst
    8 years ago

I switched to a hot water dispenser after a trip to Japan. The convenience of being able to have boiling water immediately for either a good cup of fresh brewed tea, or being able to offer a french press of coffee to my guests makes this the perfect kitchen accessory. It doesn't take up more room than an electric kettle. On a seperate debate, for tea drinkers: loose leaf or bagged? Or both?

• quagga2007
    8 years ago

Aeropress with a Zojirushi hot water dispenser. Quick, easy cleanup (way easier than a french press), and delicious. I sometimes grind my own beans with a Hario handheld coffee grinder.

• chiflipper
    8 years ago

Tetley bag and water in the huge mug and into the microwave. I drink tea so strong a mouse can stand on it (so say the Irish). Husband has a Bunn, drinks 20+ cups per day.

• Claire Little
    8 years ago

We ALWAYS start the day with one (maybe two) cups of brewed tea - no instant or dipped tea bags here. Then it's coffee - either french press with Allan Brothers coffee which we buy whole bean and then grind as needed or Keurig if we want to try something different.

• ktyson785
    8 years ago

It's an Aeropress for me since I'm the only coffee drinker in the house. Keurig too costly.

• Lynn Liston
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Pour over. On weekdays I use a Timolino Ingenie to make a mug and a splash. On weekends, a little more elaborate but same principle. I grind beans fresh and heat water in an electric kettle. For larger groups, I do have a 10-cup Melitta Mill and Brew, or I brew using a Melitta filter directly into a thermal carafe. tbh- I find the flavor of the pour over method with my Ingenie superior to using the Mill and Brew.

For tea, I make brewed tea in either my Zero Japan crackle-glazed mini with the removable mesh strainer, or in a larger stoneware teapot from Thailand. I also have a Longaberger teapot for 3-4. It's usually coffee in the a.m., tea in the p.m. And, again, using the electric kettle to boil the water.

• Georgiann Stephens
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

French Press with heating the water from a tea kettle (stove top).

• User
    8 years ago

Does anyone else use a percolator? A wonderful electric Farberware percolator. Easy, quick and you can smell the coffee, unlike most of the drip makers I've used in the past.

• ed_millere
    8 years ago
    Weekday mornings we share a French Press; tea for our daughters. Afternoons and weekends we turn to our espresso machine; cappuccino for me, lattes for our 13 year olds, and americanos for my wife. We use a Chemex pour over for our iced coffee on warm days.
    We use an on-demand hot water tap for the French Press, tea, and pour overs . We use a Nuvoa Simonelli Musica for our espresso, basically a single head version of Simonelli's commercial machines as it uses the same technology as the 3 head machine at our local coffee shop, Grassroots Coffee. Maybe one day we'll be able to match our local baristas consistency
    In the photo: a Baratza Preciso mounted in an Essato 910 scale for accurate dosing, the Nuova Simonelli Musica, a second Baratza grinder (a Virtuoso) for French Press, the most used flavorings, a Houzer bar sink (which the knock box fits perfectly) with a dual cold water and on-demand hot water tap, and my wife's favorite of our 5 French Presses, a Bodum Columbia 8 cup double wall stainless steel.
    To say we like "good" coffee is an understatement.
  • sysch
    8 years ago

French press; drip is second choice

• carolkelley
    8 years ago

@sue H, several of us love our percolators. I have a Hamilton Beach percolators myself. I posted above that I think the reason percolators went out of fashion is, not so much that they make bad coffee, but that they require more work. It's better to bring your own beans as most pre-ground coffee is too fine for a percolator and then there is the clean up. If you have an electric percolator, the pot can't be put in the dishwasher although the basket and tube could be.

• User
    8 years ago

carrolkelley: all true, but I cut the drip basket filters, using the bottoms and punching a hole in the center...makes a perfect filter with no grounds coming through at all. (you can order percolator filters but way too expensive for my taste) The pot can be soaked with baking soda, like a thermos would be, and that really cleans it out. Just things I do... Keep perking! :-)

• Chris Ryan
    8 years ago
    Why drink coffee at all? I never have.
  • mamamaj38
    8 years ago

I am single and love my Keurig! I use it even for small groups, letting people choose what strength and flavor they prefer. I have several friends who even have one in their RV! Simple, convenient, fast, and no coffee grounds -yay!

• finnbabe
    8 years ago
    French press!
  • gradick
    8 years ago

I use a keurig but with reusable pods as I can't stand the idea of zillions of disposable plastic pods filling up landfills.

• User
    8 years ago

A drip coffee maker is what we use on weekends. Something faster during the work week.

• Karl Schultz
    8 years ago
    A Gaggia espresso machine is always my first choice when I have the luxury of time. But for most days I depend on a drip for a quick cup in the morn.
  • limshim
    8 years ago
    Plunged Coffee (French Press). We call it plunged after our trip to NZ.
  • chickclickfun
    8 years ago

I brew myself a pot of tea every morning with a traditional teakettle, we make Melitta drip coffee using Melitta Benz's invention for friends, and the Italian Stovetop coffeemaker for my husband's/friends' occasional use.

• stockholm
    8 years ago

I love my Breville Electric Tea Kettle. It is customized to heat water at appropriate temperatures for various teas: green, black, white, oolong, etc. I also use it for my instant coffee and I am always satisfied. The electric kettle represents a much more efficient way of heating water than using a kettle on the stove. I am American but I lived in Europe for a number of years where I became acquainted with the electric kettle.

• knitz
    8 years ago

Electric tea kettle for hot water poured over freshly ground coffee beans in Melitta cone+filter, cup at a time. Forever and always!

• Beth
    8 years ago
    Traditional whistling kettle and Melitta drip, two cups at a time. We only drink Cafe du Monde, mail ordered from New Orleans.
  • User
    8 years ago

French press on weekdays, old-school percolator on weekends and for serving a crowd.

• Carol Woolf
    8 years ago

I prefer the old fashioned perked coffee. I have a mid century percolator remade by by G.E. for a brief time about three years ago. Quick without the additional flavor of filter paper which does have a taste to me. Once made, we enjoy the first cup and pour the rest in a thermal jug that stays hot until the late afternoon. Taste is incredibly good.

• monstertruck
    8 years ago

Pour-over. I am the only coffee drinker in my house, so one huge cup in the morning is perfect. A Braun electric kettle heats the water, and a Melitta #2 filter swirls it into the cup.

• PRO
    Sound Painting Solutions, LLC
    8 years ago

Pour over system.

• PRO
    Mise en Place Design
    8 years ago

I'm a purist when it comes to coffee. I prefer my drip. Even at Starbucks. Espresso once in a while is good too.

• Anna Toher
    8 years ago
    I love my Earl Grey with a hint of vanilla blend in the morning, using my electric kettel. My husband uses the Cuisinart coffee dripper, the best dripper we have had. I use the espresso and the grinder for the afternoon coffee cup or a capuchino for a treat.
  • Anna Toher
    8 years ago
    I love my tea cup in the morning on week-ends and use the electric kettle. My husband uses the drip coffee maker and I use the espresso Italian style and grinder for a special treat.
  • PRO
    Darla Scheuerman
    8 years ago
    Keurig, fast and fresh. No planning necessary.
  • Judy Frey
    8 years ago

We have a Jura F50 coffee machine. We never worry about how much water or how many beans to grind. The machine does it for us with the press of a few buttons!

• User
    7 years ago

It depends on the day. Most days I want tea, made the old fashion way. A stove top kettle, a warm pot, milk a little sugar with my English Breakfast/Earl grey. I mix the two. See now I want tea. When I do have coffee, which my Mom drinks like water, she uses a drip maker. Not that instant almost coffee colored water. In a restaurant where I can get the real thing I like a dark espresso, the kind you get from the big beautiful copper machines. Okay who started this? Now I have to go make tea or have breakfast down town tomorrow. :)

• Bev
    7 years ago

I always brew my tea in my coffee maker that's not allowed to be used for anything other than my tea!

• Tedde Abbott
    4 years ago

I grind fresh roasted beans, use 205 degree filtered water and do a pour over with my Chemex. Best coffee ever!

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations