Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dillbert12

SMALL Dining Room Advice Needed!!

dillbert12
5 years ago
I have a very small dining room. I am trying to decide on a dining room table and have scheduled appointments to get a table custom made if need be. The room itself is 11 feet 9 inches in length and 8 feet 3 inches wide. The room is adjacent to the kitchen and the living room and as you can see, it's open concept as well. To compound the issue, is the fact that we use the back door as the main entrance into the house and even though it isn't pictured you can see it is to the left of the picture in photo number 1. Looking to advice on how to maximize such a tiny space. I am loving the look of live edge but and open to any and all helpful advice. TIA!

Comments (29)

• dillbert12
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    The back door is in PHOTO 2!!!
  • gm_tx
    5 years ago

Wow, that's tricky. In this small space, I'd probably do an L-shaped banquette on the fridge wall and window wall, with an oval pedestal table. (Table to run parallel to fridge wall.)

Otherwise, I think if you place a floating table in the center of the room, it will impede traffic flow.

• sheloveslayouts
    5 years ago

With such a narrow space, I'd consider a comfy armless settee against the wall, a rectangular trestle table only 32-36" wide and a bench that tucks under it, out of the way of traffic when not in use.

This is the best image I could quickly find to explain what I mean by settee and bench, but you'll need a trestle table, not a four legged table:

• Sammie J
    5 years ago

I would consider something like this pic, "cheating" the bench closer on the long wall rather than centering the table in the room

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 years ago

IMO you can select a table that is approx 32" wide x 66" I would not bother with a live edge because you can't stand far enough back to appreciate the edge.

You can always count on IKEA to have strange size tables because so many customers have small apt. Here are a few. You can mix and match table tops and bases.

• PRO
    PRIME1 Design
    5 years ago

I agree with the other comments that a table in the middle of a small room would likely impede traffic. Considering the usual number of people who will sit at the table should be a factor. If for example, there are usually only 2 people, having a table close to the wall and placing the chairs at the ends would still allow space to move through the room. In a recent small house renovation I placed the dining table in this way. If there are usually 4 or more people at the table at once, stools could be utilized to add 2 additional seats along the long edge of the table. I tucked stools under the table in my design when they are not in use. Another alternative could be to swap the living room for the dining room. Sometimes living rooms work when cozy and smaller when the extra space is needed for dining. I have included some photos from my design that I mentioned.

Garage Apartment to Guest House - Complete Renovation · More Info

Garage Apartment to Guest House - Complete Renovation · More Info

• User
    5 years ago

Will you use the dining room? Will you use it occassionally or every day? Will you use it for anything other than eating (e.g., working, reading paper...)? I like Prime1's ideas very much. I also think that if you are not using the dining room every day, you can think outside the box in terms of how to use this entrance space.

• dillbert12
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks for the replies! I don't think we will use the dining room when it's just the four of us. However, when the kids bring friends, girlfriends etc I can see it being used bec there simply isn't enough room around the island. I met with a young hip furniture maker around here who said live edge doesn't have longevity and he recommended an elongated oval table or a rectangular shaped table 3feet by 6 feet that I could move closer to the wall. Any thoughts?
  • chiflipper
    5 years ago

As suggested by Helen, give serious consideration to a drop leaf / gate leg table. They are not "featured" very often, IMO a big mistake because sometimes they ARE the solution.

• sheloveslayouts
    5 years ago

Our dining room is narrow at around 9' and our dining table is 35"x84". We have a bench on one side and upholstered chairs on the walkway side. Works well for us (two forty-somethings, a five year old, and a nine year old. )

I think the 3'x6' is a good suggestion, but depending on your seating and how you use your dining table, , I think you could go as narrow as 32".

A few of us mentioned a settee/banquette against the wall with trestle table. What do you think about that idea?

• dillbert12
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    benjesbride, can u post a pic?
  • sheloveslayouts
    5 years ago

I posted one upthread, but you have to use a bit of imagination. I'll try a bit harder to find a better example.

• sheloveslayouts
    5 years ago

Banquette against wall with rectangular trestle table and stools(or bench) that can tuck under the table

• sheloveslayouts
    5 years ago

The upholstered bench in the second image is from Ballard Designs https://www.ballarddesigns.com/coventry-48-22-storage-bench/391307

• PRO
    PRIME1 Design
    5 years ago

It can help to use painters tape on the floor or something like cardboard or kraft paper to block out shapes to help you visualize the different shapes and dimensions of the proposed tables. You could also use cardboard shapes to represent the seating around the table as well. If you do choose a custom table you could take advantage of picking a non standard size to fit your room perfectly. Regarding live edge, quality (and price) can differ depending where you get it. If you are not using it much, it will not wear as much as your everyday eating area so maybe that will not be that big of a factor. The table that I showed in my previous comment is 35" wide and 5.5 ft long. So that is kind of close to the 3x6 suggested by the furniture maker. I think the max adults that the table I showed would comfortably seat is 4. That would be 2 people at the ends and then pulling the table out and putting 2 people in the middle. If you want to seat more people, you may want to go a bit longer on the table.

• dillbert12
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    benjesbride, thanks!! I like the idea of the stools tucked under the table. I also have 2 chairs from my living room that I could pull out and use at the table. Tomorrow I go to a different furniture maker. I am curious to see what he suggests and what his price is!
  • dillbert12
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    It’s not all about the price though. I want something functional and timeless. I am afraid of making a hasty decision so open to any and all opinions!!
  • decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago

My concern with a larger table would be someone scooting a chair into the stairwell and falling. I'd put a bench and slim trestle table on the fridge wall and leave the other side as a traffic area. Since it will mostly be for overflow when the kids bring their friends, this could work for you!

Kitchen remodelling in South Bristol · More Info

• dillbert12
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I put a table that’s 30 inches across and 6 feet long in the space to see how it would look. I thought I could go with 36inches but this would work better. Also thinking I may need something to tuck into the walkway side for seating. The chairs I put there are mine from the front room. I could pull those over when I need to. What do you guys think of the dimensions of this table and how it works in the space?
  • dillbert12
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Another view!
  • sheloveslayouts
    5 years ago

Good idea! The six feet looks like it might be a little long?

If you're getting a custom table, and you like the upholstered banquette/settee idea. You might start with shopping for the settee as it might drive the length of table you need.

I think the Ballard banquette is 48" which might work well with a 5' trestle table OR at only 5' you might be able to get away with a pedestal table with more clearance around for knees.

• decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago

That size works. Kids can be rough on furniture and also sloppy. I would opt for the simple bench and table as I showed, without upholstery, unless you get some nice indoor/outdoor fabric for cushions that can more easily be maintained.

• dillbert12
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Here is the table top recommended by the furniture maker I saw today. He thinks 7 feet long by 32 inches wide. I like the finish! However, the size he suggests seems too big for my space.
  • sheloveslayouts
    5 years ago

What is the distance between the window wall and the little wall next to the fridge?

• dillbert12
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    What window wall? The one with the larger window or the other one?
  • sheloveslayouts
    5 years ago

Oh - I didn't see that little one. What is the length of the dining area, from the larger window to the short wall to the left of the fridge?

• dillbert12
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    142 inches to the short wall beside the fridge. As u can see from the photo the opposite wall is shorter.
  • sheloveslayouts
    5 years ago

Considering the length of the room, the longest table I'd recommend is ~ 72".

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!