Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mo_ni31

TAJ mahal quartzite backsplash

mo_ni31
5 years ago

Having a hard time picking out a backsplash for our new Taj Mahal quartzite.

We have three choices, all will be in a 3x12 sizes. Any feedback would be appreciated.

1. Multi colored tile with soft variances

2. Darker tile that will pull out the darker veining in the stone.

3. A very matchy option.

we already spent $1000 on non returnable tile and are stuck and it looks horrible because it was too cold with a purple tint, so now we are gun shy about our replacement selection. We are hoping to use our origina backsplash tile somewhere else. we Switched at the last minute to this Taj Mahal stone and didn’t double check that our selected tile has the same undertones. :(

Thank you!

Comments (38)

• Stacy Reynolds-Krynski
    5 years ago

far left one..(the lightest), or the dark one..The others seem too washed out.

mo_ni31 thanked Stacy Reynolds-Krynski
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I like the longer version. all of the tones seem to work. I'd like to see it in a nice herringbone.

that's actually a nice change from the white tile I usually see w/this stone.

Taj Mahal Quartzite Kitchen Countertop · More Info

mo_ni31 thanked Beth H. :
  • mo_ni31
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you! We are planning on doing a herringbone with the subway tiles.

• Heather Maciaszek
    5 years ago
    Before you decide I would follow Maria Killam, the color expert’s,advice and make sure you’re testing them with white paper behind them (couldn’t tell from your pic if you’re doing already) and in the position you plan on installing them (eg horizontal not vertical if doing typical subway pattern). Check out her blog, lots of posts about picking the right hard finishes and seeing the”undertones” correctly.
  • tcipollina
    5 years ago

The first tile on the left is my vote. dark enough not to blend with the cabinet and compliments the counters. I think we have the sam backsplash tile (Alyse Edwards, Tongue and Chic), but I went with a lighter color because we have dark walnut cabinets. I am really happy with it.

• hummingalong2
    5 years ago
    Far left for me too.
  • drsaj
    5 years ago
    Another vote for the far left tile.
  • mo_ni31
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I wanted to give an update for this post.

We ended up going with the left tile which is actually ranges between three shades. I ended up having it installed as a herringbone pattern. Admittedly, I’m finding it a little bit busy. I think I should have gone with the standard brick pattern. Time will tell once knobs and appliances are installed

• zmith
    5 years ago

I think it's very pretty. :)

mo_ni31 thanked zmith
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

mo, i think it came out great! where did you get these tiles? and you said the color ranges between 3 shades? did you pick those or do they just come like that?

• mo_ni31
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Beth H- the tiles come that way- it’s random.

I got them from Kate-Lo in Minneapolis area.

I already tossed the boxes they came in, but I can look up the manufacturer from my selection sheet if you want specific details. I was told by the salesperson that they just came out. This was the taupe mix. They also sell a gray mix.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

thx mo,,think I found them. the Shadebrick. I have seen these on another splash, although it was the lighter combo.

https://www.katelotile.com/find-tile/shadebrick/

they have some nice tile. i'll have to have a gander at everything!

• Heather Maciaszek
    5 years ago

Agree with Beth - looks great!!!

• silviakunst
    5 years ago
    Hmm, I think it doesn't work ...what is cheaper to replace the wall or the countertops ? You decide . It's pretty if you have white countertops ..granite , marble ....whatever you like . Or if you love your granite tops then replace the back with just a a simple white tone ...! The way it is . You are right it's too busy and it doesn't look good !
  • silviakunst
    5 years ago
    Your answer is in the HOUZZ " latest design advice " the heading is : why you may want to work with a design Pro" your dilemma is in there ...a kitchen with almost the exact backlash as you have and white countertops . Maybe this helps you !?
  • mark_rachel
    5 years ago

Very pretty, but I have to agree that it's too busy for the amazing stone you have. It competes with the TM which should be the star here.

• mo_ni31
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Beth, you are so resourceful! :) Yes. That is the tile that we used.

For all others who think tile is too busy— yes, i know. But it’s already installed so neither the Taj Mahal or the herringbone is going anywhere soon.

We had the wolf range oven installed today and that with the new ORB hardware...it seems to have tamed it down. So I’m liking it better.

Buy yes, a cautionary tale on selecting the right backsplash pattern. Lol.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

mo,,i don't think it's the pattern so much as the variation in color. people forget that 'subway' is also a pattern. Once you get everything in the kitchen and you're open for business, I think it will be fine.

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    5 years ago

That tile is quite striking. I love the variation in color. Of course it looks too busy when it is standing out the way it does without a range, or anything on the counters, or pulls- it's too stark a contrast. Once everything is in place, and the backsplash receded into the bas ground, it won't look too busy at all.

mo_ni31 thanked Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
  • redsilver
    5 years ago

I think it's just the oversized tile is too large for the short span of wallspace, and than the pattern added to it. I would NEVER remove it or replace it. It is beautiful. For all the others trying to make decisions, keep your tile size relative to the wall span length, and if you go very very small or on the larger spectrum, just keep the pattern very simple. You can go one extreme, but not combine the two... extreme pattern and under or over size for the length. It is a beautiful tile backsplash! for sure, the star of the kitchen.

• Johns Creek
    5 years ago

I think it's lovely!!

mo_ni31 thanked Johns Creek
  • Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    5 years ago

That looks awesome!

mo_ni31 thanked Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
  • Mary Leeth
    5 years ago
    I was on the fence before the range was installed - now I think it looks fabulous! Enjoy!
    mo_ni31 thanked Mary Leeth
  • Stacy Reynolds-Krynski
    5 years ago

I think it looks fabulous

• my_four_sons
    5 years ago

I think it’s gorgeous. Nice choice!

• Claire Pope
    5 years ago

Beautiful!!!!!

• Magpie
    4 years ago

Hi! I know this is an old post but wondering if you had trouble cutting the tiles. We just got these and having trouble with chipping the glaze of the tile. Thanks.

• mo_ni31
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi Magpie, I didn't install the tiles, but I was around when they were installed by our professional subs. They didn't have any trouble cutting the tiles, but they used a wet saw.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

magpie,,tile saw and a good quality blade. Diamond blade is one of the best. If they're chipping, you're using the wrong blade

• Magpie
    4 years ago

Thanks mo_ni31. We were using a wet saw and wondered if it was the tile. We tested an another tile from somewhere else and it was doing the same thing. We ended up renting a better wet saw and the chipping was a lot less. Thanks for the reply. Also, do you still love your tile? I think I read you have the taupe color. What color grout did you use? We originally planned and creamy color because our cabinets are creamy but now not sure.

• PRO
    Aqua Kitchen and Bath Design Center
    4 years ago

You've made such a great choice! The combo looks gorgeous and very imaginative and creative. So happy you went with something else other than white subway tile. Taj Mahal quartzite got a matching partner in this kitchen. Beautiful!

mo_ni31 thanked Aqua Kitchen and Bath Design Center
  • mo_ni31
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Magpie, we still love our glossy tile installed in a herringbone pattern. My husband initially didn’t like the glossy finish. But now, it has faded to the background for him. I like that it reflects some light and you can never have a too bright kitchen as we love natural light.

We used a taupe neutral toned grout because I wanted some thing that would work well with the 3 toned tile, regardless of what the cabinet color is.

when We first saw The white cabinets and the white trim along w the very light walls, I thought I had made a mistake, but they have provided a great background for more vibrant art, darker Toned furniture, rugs And 3-toned taupe-y backsplash.

we remodeled a tiny adjacent kitchen office into a large pantry and used the remnant from the taj Mahal slab to tie them together. We love it.

• mo_ni31
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here are the pics of the remodeled pantry W the Taj mahal counter—And a pic of the original before we bought the house. It works well w the dark wood too!

• Barbara Menefee
    4 years ago

Thank you for all of your updates and info! I am building a house and planning my countertops/backsplash right now. I love your combo! I have pure white cabinets with a stained island, so I'm thinking this counter might work well! Thanks, again!

• kdonohoe13
    4 years ago

Where did you end up getting the tile you used? I love it. Would appreciate a link or store. I like the shade variations!

• Heather Ardizzoni
    3 years ago

What is the cabinet color? Thanks!!

• mo_ni31
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Heather Ardizzoni. It is BM simply white